U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:20 AM

8,723 posts, read 7,923,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I love beer. I love craft beer. My favorite kind of beer is lager. I'll take the occasional ale but if I'm going out drinking I prefer my session beer to be a lager. For the most part they have less abv and I just prefer the taste. I cannot stomach IPA's or any type of beer that is too hoppy.

I find myself disappointed a lot when I go out on pub crawls to find that many drinking establishments don't even bother to have a lager on tap. This is usually the case with gastropubs. They'll have 10 taps, half of them will be IPA's and the rest will be stouts, hefs etc, but no lager. I recently went to a new beer hall/gastropub that had forty taps and not one lager! Now, I can name off the tap of my head a dozen great craft lagers. So what gives? I hate yelp but it's gotten to the point I want to join yelp just to leave 1 star reviews for bars that don't have any lager on tap.

Any other lager drinkers feel my pain?

Sorry, no, can't relate. Our largest local craft brewery is all German-style lagers.

What is it about lagers that you prefer so strongly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
How are larger drinkers being cheated? Quite honestly most larger drinkers aren't going to demand more than a Budweiser....which is on more taps than anything but Bud Light....
Completely false. As I said - our largest and oldest local craft brewery does exclusively lagered beers. I love their beer and, like the OP, wouldn't drink an AB or Miller/Coors product if it was free.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:20 AM

412 posts, read 318,796 times
What, no lager?

It's a relief to see someone at last talking about serious first world problems instead the usual minor political crap and distractions such as violence, racism, and naked political greed.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:32 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,405,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
What, no lager?

It's a relief to see someone at last talking about serious first world problems instead the usual minor political crap and distractions such as violence, racism, and naked political greed.
wrong forum bro

Old 01-23-2016, 04:15 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,109,585 times
I was talking to the owner of a small local bar (5 rotating taps of regional beers, good bottle selection, excellent wine list and great selection of scotch).....and commented on the fact he had no lagers on tap and told him of this thread.

He said that there are few local lagers...none that are overly popular... and they just just don't sell quick enough to make it worth bringing in a keg. He said that this past summer he had New Glarus Two Women lager and it took a third more time to go through it then the other taps.

He had some bottle offerings that people have asked for....but he's gonna have on tap the beers that sell so he doesn't risk one sitting there and going off.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Cool story.

That's much more a commentary on that bar, and it's specific patrons, than anything else.

I'll say it again - I live in a city with a metro population of ~2.4M. Our the largest selling microbrewery in this city is one that does only lagered beers. Do people seek them out because they are lagers? Probably not. People seek them out because they are tasty, well-crafted beers.

New Glarus is a world-class brewery, so the slow movement wasn't a quality issue. The problem, in general, with the American craft brew crowd is that we're young in our beer appreciation, so we're always after the next super-hoppy, or barrel-aged, or stratospheric ABV because it has to be bigger in order to be "better".

Old 01-27-2016, 05:59 PM

25,529 posts, read 13,288,612 times
Look north. There's quite a few nice Canadian craft lagers and in my 64 years I've never walked into a bar that didn't have some on tap.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:29 PM

15,474 posts, read 17,630,395 times
Lagers do have a hill to climb among craft beer drinkers for reasons ranging from a lack of good lagers produced by craft brewers and the remarkably absurd reputation lagers have among certain beer snobs (not to be confused with beer geeks) as being less serious or lower quality than ales.

That said, In the craft beer markets I am familiar with, mostly in Rocky mountain cities but also the Northeast, lagers are penetrating as a few high profile, well regarded crafts have promoted them.

As far as the Bud drinking market, there is very little impetus to try to sell them craft beer unless they are tagging along to a brewpub with craft drinking friends. The onus on the part of craft brewers is to create a lager that established craft drinkers will want to drink. Like any product, the seller needs to promote the product's niche. In a world where a single brewery/brewpub produces such a radical range of beers as a dry, double, IPA, a thick chocolate porter, and a Belgian sour, it is not out of the realm of possibility to create a popular lager whether a plisener, a Maerzen, or a dunkel.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:54 AM

35,325 posts, read 24,972,672 times
Lagers take longer to make than ales, so they are more expensive to make. Add to that, they have less demand for them than ales.

Do the math.

That said, there are several good ale focused micros around, such as Jack's Abbey.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:54 PM

8,161 posts, read 6,063,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldous9 View Post
i love beer. I love craft beer. My favorite kind of beer is lager. I'll take the occasional ale but if i'm going out drinking i prefer my session beer to be a lager. For the most part they have less abv and i just prefer the taste. I cannot stomach ipa's or any type of beer that is too hoppy.

I find myself disappointed a lot when i go out on pub crawls to find that many drinking establishments don't even bother to have a lager on tap. This is usually the case with gastropubs. They'll have 10 taps, half of them will be ipa's and the rest will be stouts, hefs etc, but no lager. I recently went to a new beer hall/gastropub that had forty taps and not one lager! Now, i can name off the tap of my head a dozen great craft lagers. So what gives? I hate yelp but it's gotten to the point i want to join yelp just to leave 1 star reviews for bars that don't have any lager on tap.

Any other lager drinkers feel my pain?
thank you thank you thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages