U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:27 PM

6,432 posts, read 3,046,413 times

Advertisements

Depends.

In my experience, most people who drink mixed drinks don't really like the taste of alcohol and are drinking for the taste of the mixer, to get a relaxed or buzzed feeling and just to be social. If I were serving to them or making some kind of cocktail in large batches, I would not buy top shelf liquor. Probably something mid range unless someone told me about a cheaper brand that was good.

I rarely drink mixed drinks, and honestly when I do, I don't notice the quality of the liquor.

If its for me, for the couple of things I drink I straight, with water or on the rocks, I buy top shelf.

I would say about 10-15% of the people I serve drinks to when entertaining drink liquor straight, with water or on the rocks. For them, I have a stash of top shelf and/or their preferred brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 09:57 PM

6,432 posts, read 3,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I only drink straight bourbon or whiskey.....Very good bourbon or whiskey.

I keep a bottle or two of the cheap stuff for my friends to mix

A friend asked for one of my several hundred dollar bourbons mixed with coke. Told him to pound salt and gave him Old Crow and coke.

He was happy

What do you do when you go to other peoples houses?

Surely you don't expect them to serve you liquor that's several hundred dollars or do you?

Old 01-30-2016, 10:23 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,585,988 times
I have my favorite brands, and even if I'm going to make daiquiris or margaritas or bourbon and Coke, I still like to have the good stuff.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:53 PM

1,147 posts, read 2,409,944 times
I generally don't like mixed drinks myself. But if I am serving them at a party, I usually buy mid-level stuff. Smirnoff vodka, etc. instead of bum vodka.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 AM

35,053 posts, read 19,164,936 times
Default buying liquor for mixed drinks only ...

Please don't waste good "sippin' liquor" in a mixed drink.

If you're drinking a mix, just about any appropriate liquor will do. My one exception is Margaritas - I still insist on 100% blue agave tequila, just not top shelf stuff. The so-called "mixtos" are full of junk I refuse to ingest.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 AM

7,184 posts, read 12,573,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
In my experience, most people who drink mixed drinks don't really like the taste of alcohol and are drinking for the taste of the mixer, to get a relaxed or buzzed feeling and just to be social. If I were serving to them or making some kind of cocktail in large batches, I would not buy top shelf liquor. Probably something mid range unless someone told me about a cheaper brand that was good.

I rarely drink mixed drinks, and honestly when I do, I don't notice the quality of the liquor.
You just described me and most of my friends (those who drink -- not all do). No one has ever asked for liquor straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Please don't waste good "sippin' liquor" in a mixed drink.
What would be a good "sippin' liquor," in your opinion?

Quote:
If you're drinking a mix, just about any appropriate liquor will do. My one exception is Margaritas - I still insist on 100% blue agave tequila, just not top shelf stuff. The so-called "mixtos" are full of junk I refuse to ingest.
I typically make frozen daiquiris and margaritas in fruity flavors (the usual strawberry and lime plus watermelon, raspberry, cherry even). For daiquiris, I usually buy Bacardi rum and it tastes fine to me (costs $20-24/bottle in NH liquor stores, depending on whether it's on sale). On a lark, I tried a couple of different rums, one of which was I think $18 and the other $15 . I fully expected the $15 bottle to taste like crap ... but I could not tell the difference between it and the others once I mixed it in the blender with mixer, fresh fruit, and about a dozen ice cubes.

I suspect I COULD tell the difference if I were drinking them straight, but I have never done that. (Occasionally I think about it so I can save the mega-calories that mixers have, but I haven't done it yet!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I only drink straight bourbon or whiskey.....Very good bourbon or whiskey.

A friend asked for one of my several hundred dollar bourbons mixed with coke. Told him to pound salt and gave him Old Crow and coke.
I simply can't imagine ever spending hundreds of dollars on a bottle of liquor!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:38 AM

9,259 posts, read 6,185,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
What do you do when you go to other peoples houses?

Surely you don't expect them to serve you liquor that's several hundred dollars or do you?
Absolutely not. I enthusiastically drink whats offered. I am not a whiskey snob! I like almost everything. But since doing the Bourbon Trail and the Craft Bourbon Trail, sitting in tasting rooms add learning the subtleties, I am expanding my horizons in my old age, But, I always kept a cheap bottle for mixing

BTW, I only have a handful of outrageously priced bourbons. Evan Williams 23 year old. Wild Turkey Master's Keep. and a few others. All purchased after a great run at the Blackjack tables or for very special occasions

There are some excellent bourbons that I bought for less than 50-60 dollars (some much less).

Bulleit Burbon and Rye, W.L.Weller Special Reserve, Bookers Cask Strength, Bakers, Blantons, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig 12 year old, Willett, Basal Hayden Makers Mark and Jack Daniels are all to me, sippin whiskeys. All have distinctively different tastes and noses.

Why ruin an excellent whiskey by adding coke?

Old 02-06-2016, 02:46 PM

35,053 posts, read 19,164,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You just described me and most of my friends (those who drink -- not all do). No one has ever asked for liquor straight.

What would be a good "sippin' liquor," in your opinion?
Bourbon: Maker's Mark, Bulleit, Weller, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek
Scotch: Cragganmore, Balvenie Double Wood, Macallan 12yo, Lagavulin 16

Quote:
I typically make frozen daiquiris and margaritas in fruity flavors (the usual strawberry and lime plus watermelon, raspberry, cherry even). For daiquiris, I usually buy Bacardi rum and it tastes fine to me (costs $20-24/bottle in NH liquor stores, depending on whether it's on sale). On a lark, I tried a couple of different rums, one of which was I think $18 and the other $15 . I fully expected the $15 bottle to taste like crap ... but I could not tell the difference between it and the others once I mixed it in the blender with mixer, fresh fruit, and about a dozen ice cubes.

I suspect I COULD tell the difference if I were drinking them straight, but I have never done that. (Occasionally I think about it so I can save the mega-calories that mixers have, but I haven't done it yet!)
I don't think there's all that much difference between rums, at least not that I've been able to discern.

That IS NOT the case with tequila, however.

When I recommended the 100% blue agave tequilas, it wasn't snobbishness speaking. The bottom shelf "mixto" tequilas like Cuervo Gold and such are only 51% tequila, with the balance being a blend of cheap godawful stuff like aquardiente, which gives it that horrible petroleum flavor and leads to massive hangovers. And that's why I always try to steer folks towards genuine tequila, which will always be identified by "100% blue agave" on the label. Some good mixers at decent prices:

Cuervo Tradicional Reposado
Sauza Hornitos

As for "sippin' tequila": Don Julio, El Tesoro, Milagro, Fortaleza, Centinela, Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, and Casa Noble are all very good. Far too good to use in a mix. Fine tequila has a very smooth almost citrus like flavor and lacks any trace of harshness.

I've heard that the president of Mexico drinks Don Julio. If it's good enough for him, etc...

Quote:
I simply can't imagine ever spending hundreds of dollars on a bottle of liquor!
Neither could I.

As an example, a friend recently invited me to sample his Yamazaki Japanese single malt whisky, which sells for about $180/ 750 mL bottle.

Whisky: Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013 Named World's Best

While it was decent and drinkable, it was certainly not in any way remarkable to either his palate or mine. I'd much prefer any of the whiskeys I listed above, the most expensive of which can be had for less than half that cost.

Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:54 PM

811 posts, read 721,731 times
Quote:

I don't think there's all that much difference between rums, at least not that I've been able to discern.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'd encourage you to challenge yourself on this one, Old Gringo! Start with Mount Gay Black Barrel. That's a great one that seems to be fairly widely available. Sip it neat, on the rocks, or make a rum "Manhattan" out if it. You'll see. If you can find it, move on to an Angostura (yes, just like the bitters) single barrel reserve.

Rum is just as nuanced and has just as much potential for sophistication and complexity as any form of whiskey/whisky. You taste smoke, fruit, citrus, honey, nuts, vanilla... just like with whiskey or wine. I truly believe that we just don't know very much about it and thus aren't acquainted with the good stuff (or how to appreciate it) in the states. I used to totally agree (rum is rum is rum), but I've had enough really great rums (especially the aged ones! Just like whiskey, that barrel-aged character really does A LOT), derived from many a terroir, traveling through the Caribbean by now to vehemently (and to my pleasant surprise) change my mind.

That said, as far as I can tell from this thread, OP the cheap stuff was practically designed for your purposes. While it's hard from my perspective to not encourage you to think about liquor differently, I'll also have to concede: why spend money on something if you're going to drown it in sugar and fruit and can't tell the difference anyway? Save the $$! Cheers!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:57 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,190,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'd encourage you to challenge yourself on this one, Old Gringo! Start with Mount Gay Black Barrel. That's a great one that seems to be fairly widely available. Sip it neat, on the rocks, or make a rum "Manhattan" out if it. You'll see. If you can find it, move on to an Angostura (yes, just like the bitters) single barrel reserve.

Rum is just as nuanced and has just as much potential for sophistication and complexity as any form of whiskey/whisky. You taste smoke, fruit, citrus, honey, nuts, vanilla... just like with whiskey or wine. I truly believe that we just don't know very much about it and thus aren't acquainted with the good stuff (or how to appreciate it) in the states. I used to totally agree (rum is rum is rum), but I've had enough really great rums (especially the aged ones! Just like whiskey, that barrel-aged character really does A LOT), derived from many a terroir, traveling through the Caribbean by now to vehemently (and to my pleasant surprise) change my mind.

That said, as far as I can tell from this thread, OP the cheap stuff was practically designed for your purposes. While it's hard from my perspective to not encourage you to think about liquor differently, I'll also have to concede: why spend money on something if you're going to drown it in sugar and fruit and can't tell the difference anyway? Save the $$! Cheers!
I completely agree with you, IslandCityGirl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or