U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:46 PM

7,182 posts, read 12,570,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'd encourage you to challenge yourself on this one, Old Gringo! Start with Mount Gay Black Barrel. That's a great one that seems to be fairly widely available. Sip it neat, on the rocks, or make a rum "Manhattan" out if it. You'll see. If you can find it, move on to an Angostura (yes, just like the bitters) single barrel reserve.

Rum is just as nuanced and has just as much potential for sophistication and complexity as any form of whiskey/whisky. You taste smoke, fruit, citrus, honey, nuts, vanilla... just like with whiskey or wine. I truly believe that we just don't know very much about it and thus aren't acquainted with the good stuff (or how to appreciate it) in the states. I used to totally agree (rum is rum is rum), but I've had enough really great rums (especially the aged ones! Just like whiskey, that barrel-aged character really does A LOT), derived from many a terroir, traveling through the Caribbean by now to vehemently (and to my pleasant surprise) change my mind.

That said, as far as I can tell from this thread, OP the cheap stuff was practically designed for your purposes. While it's hard from my perspective to not encourage you to think about liquor differently, I'll also have to concede: why spend money on something if you're going to drown it in sugar and fruit and can't tell the difference anyway? Save the $$! Cheers!
IslandCityGirl, you're not hijacking the thread at all! Actually, I completely understand what you mean.

Years ago I wanted to learn more about wine, so I bought some books and different kinds of wine and all that. I think I can now APPRECIATE different wines more, but my tastes really didn't change much. (I think part of is that I don't really drink much, so when I DO, I want something that I know I like -- not something that I may or may not like.)

I may very well, at some point, splurge on a great bottle of rum or bourbon, and sip it straight. I really liked Mike1003's description of "doing the Bourbon Trail and the Craft Bourbon Trail, sitting in tasting rooms and learning the subtleties" to expand his horizon. That DOES sound very appealing, and again, I may do something similar someday.

For now, though, I really do like the fruity mixed drinks. I really can't tell the difference so I think I will stick with low-priced liquor for those.

I will do another "rep run" to make sure I've rep'd everyone -- I really enjoyed everyone's contributions to this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 04:34 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,287,558 times
For me it depends on what you mean by "mixed" drink.

Technically a Scotch and water is a "mixed drink" because it's not straight ... it's mixed with water! Same for a Bourbon and soda.

In warm months I like gin & tonics. I use only my favorite good quality gins because the flavor of the gin shines through. Same thing for a martini.

You are talking about daiquiris and margaritas, though. Another story. No need to use the expensive stuff. Too many flavors going on. Same would apply to Bloody Marys, whiskey sours, Singapore Slings, Cosmopolitans, etc.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
For me it depends on what you mean by "mixed" drink.
That's a good point -- I should have been more specific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Technically a Scotch and water is a "mixed drink" because it's not straight ... it's mixed with water! Same for a Bourbon and soda.

In warm months I like gin & tonics. I use only my favorite good quality gins because the flavor of the gin shines through. Same thing for a martini.

You are talking about daiquiris and margaritas, though. Another story. No need to use the expensive stuff. Too many flavors going on. Same would apply to Bloody Marys, whiskey sours, Singapore Slings, Cosmopolitans, etc.
LOL, you mentioned another one of my favorites, whiskey sours (although I haven't had one of those in a bit).

I also have a funny story to tell, although some of you will be appalled , so be prepared! I went to the liquor store a couple of weeks ago and my "favorite" rum (Bacardi) wasn't on sale, so I looked at the others. There was one on sale for ... wait for it ... $10.99* (for the same size, of course -- 1.75 liters I think?). I saw the price and laughed out loud. Of course then I had to buy a bottle and take it home ...

... and when I made a watermelon/strawberry/cherry daiquiri with it that night, I could not tell the difference between using it and using Bacardi, which costs more than twice as much.

I am a tiny bit embarrassed to admit how I am not even a tiny tiny tiny bit of a connoisseur. (The daiquiri, however, was yummy. )

======

*I think it was called Mr. Boston? Yeah, Mr. Boston, the best rum money can buy ... NOT! (And yes, I am laughing as I write this! I simply cannot take myself too seriously when it comes to this stuff!)

Old 02-27-2016, 10:20 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,237,186 times
It really depends on the cocktail.

For example, take a Missouri Mule. You've got 2 parts bourbon that's going to be mostly overwhelmed by 2 parts Applejack, 2 parts lemon juice, 1 part Cointreau and 1 part Campari. The bourbon - a mere quarter of the drink - is going to be overwhelmed by the other intense flavors. Don't bother with a premium bourbon.

On the her hand, a classic martini of a 5-1 or 6-1 ration of gin to dry vermouth definitely allows for the quality of a very good gin to shine through.

As a rule, the more sweet/fruity/sugary/intense the other additions to the drink, the more the quality of a fine liquor is going to be masked.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It really depends on the cocktail.

For example, take a Missouri Mule. You've got 2 parts bourbon that's going to be mostly overwhelmed by 2 parts Applejack, 2 parts lemon juice, 1 part Cointreau and 1 part Campari. The bourbon - a mere quarter of the drink - is going to be overwhelmed by the other intense flavors. Don't bother with a premium bourbon.

On the other hand, a classic martini of a 5-1 or 6-1 ration of gin to dry vermouth definitely allows for the quality of a very good gin to shine through.

As a rule, the more sweet/fruity/sugary/intense the other additions to the drink, the more the quality of a fine liquor is going to be masked.
^^^ This makes sense. For example, my frozen watermelon/strawberry daiquiris are something like 2 parts rum, 1 part watermelon liqueur, 2-3 parts watermelon mixer, 2-3 parts strawberry mixer, a cup (or more) of fresh or frozen strawberries, a cup (or more) of fresh watermelon, and at least a dozen ice cubes. So (as I have definitely found with my "Mr. Boston" experiment!), no need to use premium rum.

That Missouri Mule sounds good ... hmmm ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or