U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 PM

12,984 posts, read 15,319,968 times

Advertisements

Have you read the book Wheat Belly?

Maybe try some of these mentioned and see if that makes a difference. Also, I know Guinness doesn't have wheat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8UAkyXmEoE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 03:29 PM

24,732 posts, read 23,697,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Suggestion: Go plug this phrase into a search engine, such as Google: "does beer cause congestion?"

You may get some answers. Let us know if you find a solution.
Good idea.

SoulJourn, take an antihistamine, wait an hour, and see if that helps.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,210,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It could be a wheat allergy. What type of beer is causing the reaction?
Almost any type. I tend to drink local craft beers. My old beer from my college days - Rolling Rock - does not cause it as much. But my tastes have changed.

One of my sons has introduced me to IPAs. I love them, but they don't love me back, it seems. For what it's worth, he thinks it may be hops.

Other commercial swill - Miller, Bud, and even Yuingling - does cause that mucus post nasal drip thing. Stella sometimes does.

Flat Tire does not. Asian beers? Not so much.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
You are supposed to drink beer, not snort it
Funny. I am well aware of that. It's the snorting that is ruining my beer drinking experience.
It's also unattractive when drinking with others.

Beer drinking, in my opinion, should not involve the nose or nasal passages.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:26 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,264,069 times
You can give up beer. I did and I was addicted to it. It's not easy but if you make up your mind about it, you can do it. I've been sober for about 22 years now and 100% alcohol free for 18 years now. They say alcohol is not good for you even small amounts like you say you are drinking. It adds up over time. It's not good for you. Give up as soon as you can. At 62, you might have already done a bunch of damage.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 AM

15,764 posts, read 9,500,134 times
Dunno but just a few sips of beer and I have a sneezing fit. I'm figuring it has something to do with hops and/or fermenting process. Not a big issue for me since Im not a big drinker and rarely would choose beer. It's curious though. No other allergies that I know of.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
You can give up beer. I did and I was addicted to it. It's not easy but if you make up your mind about it, you can do it. I've been sober for about 22 years now and 100% alcohol free for 18 years now. They say alcohol is not good for you even small amounts like you say you are drinking. It adds up over time. It's not good for you. Give up as soon as you can. At 62, you might have already done a bunch of damage.
You are obviously in a 12 step program. I am not seeking to give up beer - or anything.

Everything in moderation. If you can't do it in moderation - then stop it. Some of us can. I don't drink beer or anything else - to get drunk. I like the taste and the way that it compliments food.

I am the age that I listed. I am in good hearth. I am 6'1" and 165. No heart, liver or kidney problems.

I was asking about MY problem - not yours.

This is a "non teetotalers" edition of the Food and Drink forum.

My parents were joyless fundamentalist Christians who were against any drinking.Among about 60 other things. Please leave me alone.

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,926,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It could be a wheat allergy. What type of beer is causing the reaction?
She said ahe doesn't have any other allergies, and if she got this when she ate toast she'd have mentioned it.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
She said ahe doesn't have any other allergies, and if she got this when she ate toast she'd have mentioned it.

Thank you. I tested at a world renowned medical center for every allergy that was known to man kind. I avoid wheat, because of the whole Wheat Belly thing.
But, I do wonder about other beer ingredients. I don't think that I was tested for hops. Maybe not barley.

I am at a loss.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:20 AM

28 posts, read 13,137 times
Default sounds like an allergy

It sounds like you could have developed an allergy to something in the beer.
I will be glad to help you out. Just pack up all of your remaining beer, and send it to me. That should end the allergic reaction for you.

In the meantime I will test it to see if I get the same reaction.
It may take several beers to determine if I am having a reaction, so send a good supply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages