Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:50 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
People can blame A-B and the like all they want. The reality is that these brewers brew the beer that sells: the beer that Americans want. If 80% of Americans all-of-a-sudden developed a taste for IPAs you better believe that A-B would change the recipe of Bud to reflect that.
Yuck... IPAs... ewwwww. May Bud never taste like an IPA. Will I like IPAs eventually? My dad thinks so... we visited my parents earlier this week and I tried one of his new favorites - Ithaca Flower Power IPA. In this case, IPA stood for It's Plain Awful - I couldn't get through more than two or three sips. Neither could my wife. May IPAs always taste like IPAs for those who like IPAs, and Bud always taste like Bud for guys like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
never heard those words together...EVER

hey you like what you like
Well, my dad, the only beer drinker in my family, didn't drink Bud or anything near it. None of my friends drank Bud. I tried it one time out of curiosity because, hey, if it's that popular that it would be called the King of Beers and that is not a hotly disputed claim, maybe there's something to it. That was a glorious day, when I discovered Bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
People eat McDonalds like its their last meal too so I am not surprised people drink Budweiser either. But it is what it is. Whatever makes you feel refreshed and takes the edge off your day like youre looking for.
I like fast food. I shouldn't, but I do. I prefer other food, and maybe someday I will prefer other beer. I'll keep y'all informed about when that happens, if it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
I don't begrudge Bud. It just gives me a headache after a while. Used to do that to my Dad, too.
It never gave me a headache. Of course, I drink a lot of water when I drink beer, so that could have something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:49 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Peroni and Kronenburg my favourite

Old 07-20-2014, 01:12 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Deschutes Black Butte Porter is my favorite. We have several local microbreweries that have excellent products as well. In Sandpoint, MickDuffs brews a Knot Tree Porter that is also very good. Others I like include Fat Tire, Alaskan Amber, Mac and Jacks, Irish Death and Moose Drool.

I like most of the dark, complex beers. One thing I've noticed lately among several of our local micros is the tend to go with ever increasing hoppy flavors. Many are just too much for my tastes. There are many other good ingredients that bring out the flavor of beer, excess hops just overpowers them.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:26 AM

85 posts, read 121,294 times
Shame that UK cask beer (bitter) not lager, cannot really be exported as it wouldn't last, instead all that is offered is nitro keg (John Smiths, Boddingtons, Guinness, which with the exception of guinness is vile) or bottled beers. Obviously, bitter is not to everyones taste, but in the main it is a more complex product tastewise than lager.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
I just had a beer from Sea Dog that I didn't even know they brewed. It's called Sun Fish. Kind of a Summer style beer, although their web site says it is made year round. This has a citrus note, but it doesn't taste like lemon, which often shows up in summer beers. Maybe orange zest? I liked it a lot.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I just recently got back into beer again and have found that my tastes really haven't changed.

My favorite beer is Budweiser.

I know that many "beer connoisseurs" will either laugh or gag at that notion but heck, I must not be alone. Budweiser is the third best-selling beer in the USA, and it is the best-selling full-strength beer (as opposed to "light beer"). Does that make it THE BEST? Not necessarily... but, man, I like it.

That has chapped my dad and my brother to no end, so I have tried many different beers along the way. Back in the day when I drank beer more often than I do now, I used to go to the bar and try various beers. I guess that's weird, because the bartender once asked me in friendly consternation "Why do you always change your beer?". I've found some beers I like but nothing I like as much as Bud.

Others that get honorable mention:

Michelob Lager - Good stuff. A bit more pricey than Budweiser, but a good bet. I like the smell of this one.

Bud Light - Okay, so I don't really go for light beer, but since this tastes pretty much like a weak version of Budweiser, I can drink it if it's there.

Coors Light - Haven't had it in a long time but I remember that I used to like it. It must come from a bottle, however. This one, for some odd reason, nauseated me when it came out of a can.

Rolling Rock - Tried it again recently and found that I didn't like it as much as I recall having liked it in college... but that's probably because I have since discovered Budweiser and I vastly prefer that.

Nothing against any of y'all who like dark beers and craft beers... I just never did. I have tried many a fancy beer that my dad has liked, and they all taste nasty to me. It can't be said that I haven't put forth the effort. I tried Guinness once - that was about as disgusting as a drink can be. To me it tasted like the smell of a dirty ashtray. Of course, nothing tops Magic Hat apricot ale. I couldn't even get one sip of that stuff down my throat.
I don't get this at all. For the style Bud is, you can find far better examples. Here in Indiana, there is a brewery called Upland that has a pilsner in the style of Bud. It is far better than Bud. They also have a wheat ale that is light on the palate. Sun King Brewery produces a cream ale that is nice for the light beer drinkers and has a creamy, almost light vanilla flavor that is decent. Not my style, but lots like it. I can find similar examples across the country.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:56 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,184,507 times
Love:

Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
Black Butte Porter
Anything by McMennamin's, especially Black Rabbit Porter
Guinness
Red Stripe
Blue Moon Belgian White--and pretty much all their seasonals too
A lot of seasonal pumpkin ales and lagers
Moosehead
Moose Drool
Newcastle
Drop Top Amber Ale
Corona (and Corona Light)
Dos Equis
Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Shiner Bock
Heineken
Labatt's

Like:

Pretty much any beer, even a cheap one, but I try to avoid the super cheap brands like Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, etc. Usually I'll go for a darker style like a stout or a porter, but if in season, an autumn one is good, basically I'm game to try something new whenever I go to restaurant or bar. If I don't like it, I can always make the next one something more reliable.

Only special circumstances:

malt liquor

Won't drink:

Grolsch

Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't get this at all. For the style Bud is, you can find far better examples. Here in Indiana, there is a brewery called Upland that has a pilsner in the style of Bud. It is far better than Bud. They also have a wheat ale that is light on the palate. Sun King Brewery produces a cream ale that is nice for the light beer drinkers and has a creamy, almost light vanilla flavor that is decent. Not my style, but lots like it. I can find similar examples across the country.
People like what they like. And while I agree with you, Bud isn't terrible, I have no problem drinking it. It's fairly light flavored and crisp, finishes smooth. I find it pretty reliable and with a group of friends who are used to drinking basic macrobrews, it's something everyone will drink, so I've had my share of it. Basically I would say if you've tried a lot of other beers in that style and still like Bud, that's great, good for you. The only problem I would have is if someone really hasn't tried that many pilsners, then I would suggest expanding their horizons at least a little.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:23 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post

Won't drink:

Grolsch
one time i was on a cruise and one of the few options was this..not very good at all!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:15 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Depends on the time of year. On a hot summer day, there's not much better than a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. In the winter, I prefer a maltier beer - Sam Adams, Bass or Guiness are my usuals. Newcastle is a good one too, and my favorite microbrew is Otter Creek Copper Ale. Dislike pretty much anything the big three make. AB, Coors and Miller brands don't make it to my fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages