U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,790,881 times

Advertisements

I have been drinking white wine almost exclusively for years, and in the past few years most of them I like have gone to screw on caps. In fact, that's the only wines I buy anymore.
Recently I've branched out to some reds. But they all have corks. Not real corks, but corks none the less. I'm curious as to why white wines are much more likely to have screw on caps than red. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 04:24 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,879,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I have been drinking white wine almost exclusively for years, and in the past few years most of them I like have gone to screw on caps. In fact, that's the only wines I buy anymore.
Recently I've branched out to some reds. But they all have corks. Not real corks, but corks none the less. I'm curious as to why white wines are much more likely to have screw on caps than red. Thoughts?
I think it's largely to match customer expectations. For all wine, a screw cap is the most secure method of sealing a bottle. More expensive wine typically uses corks because customers think of cheap wine when they see screw tops.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:07 PM

16,829 posts, read 7,493,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I think it's largely to match customer expectations. For all wine, a screw cap is the most secure method of sealing a bottle. More expensive wine typically uses corks because customers think of cheap wine when they see screw tops.
That's pretty much the reason. I am friends with a winemaker who uses screwcaps on his reds, and they're quite excellent... my sister, who is an assistant winemaker in California, asks for "that screwcap wine" which she takes to blind tastings with other winemakers, and they all like it. Unfortunately unless you live in north Texas or SW Oklahoma it's not available. A lot of wine bars use almost nothing but screwcaps, but then they're not selling Opus One, but instead relatively inexpensive wines at a significant markup.

Hmm, since I took it off the rack, I guess now I have to open it...

Old 04-15-2016, 02:26 PM

3,556 posts, read 1,463,098 times
Corks are definitely old school. And i certainly miss that "pop" moment when its pulled out by a corkscrew.

I have heard that one reason for the screwcaps is personal injury claims from people supposedly being hit by exploding corks!

However, I do like the convenience of screwcaps both on white and the odd red bottled wines.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:14 AM

A few years back I visited my sister and she recommended a truly spectacular tempranillo, 2005 vintage, which I took home. A year later when I opened it the cork crumbled, and the wine was undrinkable. That's one of the disadvantages of natural cork. The cork had a flaw in the middle, and even though it was kept in a wine cellar (the little one, not a real one) at 55 degrees on its side, it had opened up enough to leak. Sad, that 2005 was an excellent year in California.

Synthetic corks offer a compromise. Tonight I am meeting with a couple winemakers at a wine festival and will ask their opinions.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:38 PM

72,086 posts, read 83,752,398 times
I am hoping, in the next few years most wines are screw tops. You are right about red versus white: there are a lot more whites using screw tops.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 AM

From the Red River Wine Festival: I talked with three winemakers and all had the same insights. Whites, which are usually consumed within 5 years of vintage, handle screw caps well. Reds, especially lighter, less tannic wines such as sangiovese, Beaujolais and pinot noir/burgundy, also can do well with screw caps. A full-bodied cabernet or syrah benefits from having a stopper that allows it to "breathe" somewhat, allowing an exchange, in minute quantities, of oxygen. A heavy red wine that needs 3-5 years of aging with a natural cork doesn't do as well with a synthetic stopper or screw cap; it may remain "green" or young for a lot longer According to one winemaker I talked with, it's as much as 5 times longer with synthetics or caps.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:07 AM

Thanks Sluggo!! So there IS a reason!

Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 AM

Default I actually found one

A red wine with a screw on cap. OMG! When I first typed that I typed "cRap"!!! I guess that's because I didn't really like it much!!! It was "Mud House" Pinot Noir.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:08 PM

6,321 posts, read 5,599,234 times
I've found lots of red wines with screw tops. I mostly buy French wines these days so maybe screw tops are more common in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages