Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:19 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,347 times

Advertisements

I need to buy a gift for a friend who is a guy in his late 40's, in the military, tough guy. Looking for a bottle of good, "big-boy" liquor. Budget 60-70$. What would you recommend?

Also, what's the best way to send it to him? We live in the same city but I'd like for it to be a surprise. Mailing is out of question, as far as I understand. What are the other options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 06:52 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
I never heard a company that delivers alcohol so you will have to do it yourself I imagine. Maybe drop it off at his home or work. If at home, maybe you can have someone else open the door and you can place it in the bathroom with a cute bow. Or at work with his coworker, but that obviously may get him in trouble. Play it safe and deliver in person, could you imagine what might happen if some kids got their hands on it, you could be liability although I think that is stupid.

Crown royal whiskey is always a safe bet, but try to find out what he drinks. Some guys are picky.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:05 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times
Flavia, what's your timeline? And what state do you live in? (Some states allow liquor to ship via mail, some don't.) If you have a little time and your state allows liquor-mailing, here's my suggestions (I'm sticking with whiskeys, just based on your criteria ):

McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt Whiskey made by Clear Creek Distillery – MOUTH

Not only is it a fun, unique independent distillery from Oregon, but it's a great, single-malt "Scotch" whiskey. It's right in your price range and could ship as a gift. Done and done. Mouth is a really fun website if you're into food and spirits, btw... You might find just the right thing on their site.

If mail-order doesn't work, then hopefully you can find a good selection locally and follow peequi's advice to leave it at his home or drop it with a co-worker or something. Would it be unsafe to leave it on the front porch or in a mailbox or something? That might be a fun surprise.

Here are a few, good, interesting whiskeys (in a variety of styles, in case he has a preference) in your price range that you can hopefully find, locally:
Nikka Coffey Grain Japanese Whiskey
Auchentoshan American Oak Single Malt
Whistle Pig Rye
EH Taylor small batch/single barrel bourbon

Of course there are the old standards that you can find basically anywhere and everywhere that are always appreciated as a "special occasion" gift by whiskey drinkers:
Glenfiddich 15yr (Glenfiddich 12yr is still a really nice gift, slightly less $)
Glenlivet 15yr
Macallan 12yr (or 15 - might be on the edge of your price range)
^^All "Scotch", as that tends to not only be the most refined/special version of whiskey, and it's damn tasty.

Crown Royal is kind of low-end for your price range, but it is a pretty widely loved, bourbonesque Canadian whiskey, and still "special" by most standards. Crown Royal XO is a little more special/different/expensive (but still in your range) and should be pretty widely available too.

Hope that helps!

Let us know if we're way off track (like your friend is not a whiskey guy...) and I'll help if I can.

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 02-26-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Costco- Whisky or Bourbon. Go pick one that fits your budget.

Single Malt Whisky is always appreciated.

Knob Creek is a great mainstream production Bourbon.

Real Men drink scotch or bourbon.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I don't know...
For me, it would be an 8-pack of Guinness, or a bottle of Delicato Sweet Marie wine.
For some men, it would be vodka.
Some would say Bourbon.
Some would say Scotch. Others would say "Oh, HELL no!"
Without knowing the guy's favorites, it is an impossible question!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:40 AM

32,934 posts, read 36,351,383 times
i've seen quite a few military guys order jack daniels.

i think the knob creek is a good suggestion.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:01 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
There are online liquor stores that ship.
My suggestions are...
Marker's Mark bourbon
Johnny Walker Black scotch
MacCallan 18 Single Malt scotch (although I think this is over budget)
Gentlemen Jack or Jack Daniels, single barrel

Old 02-26-2016, 11:46 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times
Flavia, I just realized you were recently asking about shopping in Seattle, so I'm guessing that's where you're at. There is a "Total Wine and More" in Northgate, and another in Bellevue. They have great selections AND their staff is really knowledgeable and helpful. They're there because they are connoisseurs, and I've discovered some great liquors because of their recommendations! Tell them what you're looking for and they'll gladly help you pick out something great.

That said, I still think the mouth.com gift-in-the-mail thing would be awesome, if it works for your timeline (you absolutely can have liquor delivered in the mail in WA, you just can't send liquor in the mail, yourself. It needs to come from a retailer/distributor. There also needs to be someone there to sign for it, upon delivery, so sending it to a workplace is often best.).

Old 02-26-2016, 12:03 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
I need to buy a gift for a friend who is a guy in his late 40's, in the military, tough guy. Looking for a bottle of good, "big-boy" liquor. Budget 60-70$. What would you recommend?

Also, what's the best way to send it to him? We live in the same city but I'd like for it to be a surprise. Mailing is out of question, as far as I understand. What are the other options?

Crown Royal, Crown Apple, Crown XO

Old 02-29-2016, 03:56 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
My choice would be Jack Daniels Single Barrel Whiskey or some other high end whiskey/bourbon. If you want to be a little more thoughtful, get him some Whiskey Rocks to go with it!

As for "shipping", there is actually an online alcohol ordering service called Minibar. I have never used it but maybe you can buy for him from there and have them deliver it. Otherwise, you could hire a friend to drive it to him. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages