Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 PM

278 posts, read 550,144 times

Advertisements

cutting down on beer, gonna start drinking wine. i just cant lose weight easily because of drinking beer every weekend.

im thinking i could go to a less bad for you and cheaper alternative, drinking cheap but tolerable wine.

my idea is trader joes two buck chuck sangria. good idea? bad idea? recipe for two buck chuck sangria also please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
I don't know about a recipe specifically for Charles Shaw, but my standard recipe is:

1) Chop up some fruit (pears, apples, oranges, lemons, limes, etc), throw in a bowl with some dark rum (about 1/2-1 cup). Let soak for at least an hour or two, but the longer the better.

2) Spoon some fruit into a pitcher, then fill about 2/3 of the way with wine. Fill most of the remaining 1/3 with soda (citrus seltzer, Sprite) and add a splash or so of orange juice to taste.

In general, I use this recipe to make about 4 pitchers, so adjust accordingly.

That said, I don't know if sangria would necessarily be better for you than beer. It's definitely sweeter, regardless of how you make it, so you'd have a higher calorie count. In general, if you're looking for just the amount of something to drink you'd be best off with a light beer.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyischamp View Post
cutting down on beer, gonna start drinking wine. i just cant lose weight easily because of drinking beer every weekend.

im thinking i could go to a less bad for you and cheaper alternative, drinking cheap but tolerable wine.

my idea is trader joes two buck chuck sangria. good idea? bad idea? recipe for two buck chuck sangria also please?
Everybodys' body is different but wine is generally not good for the waistline either.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:24 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Yeah sangria starts with wine except with even more sugar added in whatever recipe is used post-fermentation, it isn't the best choice if concerned about weight.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Status: "Mike Johnson stand your ground" (set 19 hours ago)

939 posts, read 1,227,773 times
Default Sangria recipe!!!!

A friend when I was young made the best Sangria I had ever tasted -- I know it had Rock Candy Syrup, fresh oranges, Limes and other ingredients -- but I cannot duplicate the taste which lingers in my mind. I want to make the best Sangria ever for the Holidays -- have tried a couple of recipes but it always seems its lacking something.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
The basic ingredients for sangria:

red wine (such as madiera)
simple syrup (sugar dissolved in boiling water and cooled to room temperature)
citrus fruit slices/wedges

and typically, brandy is added

There are many variations of this, and the proportions will always be "to taste." So you'll have to keep experimenting til you get the flavor you're looking for.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:40 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I don't drink alcohol any more, but Sangria is best made with the simplest and highest quality ingredients. A really nice bottle of dry red wine, one you would serve with dinner, fresh fruit juice, and a top quality carbonated water. It should not taste like cool aid or wedding punch when it is done.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Wilson, your suggestion would result in diluted, sparkling wine. I've never heard of watering it down and -not- adding brandy to kick the alcohol content back up again.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Wilson, your suggestion would result in diluted, sparkling wine. I've never heard of watering it down and -not- adding brandy to kick the alcohol content back up again.
I think that would be a positive addition. It is, however, supposed to be a light refreshing summer drink. If I had to do a recipe I would say 8oz. Perrier, 8oz. tangerine juice, and a bottle of Bordeaux. Then some brandy if that is your thing.

I think that keeping the flavors simple on anything with good wine in it is a good idea. I personally would not have put the brandy in back in the day, but brandy is just good wine too. I think I might have chosen to up the alcohol with a little high quality vodka instead if getting loaded was the goal (which for me it usually was).

Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My sister in law uses this, some apple and orange slices and some cherry brandy. Very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages