U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will I never be able to enjoy alcohol again, without suffering the day after?
Yup, you're screwed. 2 18.18%
No, I've got some things you can try! 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2016, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I underwent a couple food allergy tests: the MRT (Mediator Release Test) and the skin prick test to find out what foods cause a negative reaction in my body (i.e. histamine, cytokine and prostaglandin release).

I was particularly disappointed to find out that I am allergic to hops and reactive to barley, yeast and rye, among many other things. This didn't necessarily come as a surprise, though; as an avid craft beer drinker, lover of red wines and many liquors, I always knew the stuff bothered me more than most people.

When I drink, sometimes it takes one beverage to spur heavy congestion. Other times, it's fine, and it's usually a great time the night of; however, it's the morning after that really sucks. A lot of people get hangovers when they drink a lot, but even if I consume a responsible amount of alcohol (2-4 drinks), my mornings are usually terrible: my digestion is screwed up, my lower back (specifically my bulging disc) nerves are triggered hard, I'm congested, and I genuinely feel full-body awful. It's clear that (certain) alcoholic drinks are a major source of inflammation in my body.

With all that said, I'm here now to ask if any of you are aware of any alcoholic drinks that I might be able to enjoy without totally screwing myself over. What types of beers don't have hops, barley, baker's yeast, or some combination of those? What types of wines or liquors lack one of these substances, or some combination of them? I don't need to find something that completely lacks each of those substances, but even something that has less of a certain substance, or less of any combination of those substances might be much easier to tolerate. In the coming weeks, I am also going to experiment with taking an anti-histamine the morning before a night of drinking.

I greatly appreciate your time!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 05:32 AM

11,114 posts, read 10,942,489 times
Beer was once defined by law in Bavaria as being made from barley, hops, and water. Later cultured yeast was allowed. Barley is the basic grain for making beer, although rye and wheat are sometimes used, usually in conjunction with barley. Beer always contains hops. Baker's yeast is not used to make beer, but there are many varieties of yeast that are used. Most commercial breweries filter out any residual yeast before packaging.

You can assume that a beer called an IPA will have more hops than most other beers. Beers marketed as having a "citrus" flavor may get that flavor from hops. Beers that emphasize the malt flavor will probably have fewer hops used in production. A couple of examples might include ambers, such as Anchor Steam or New Belgium Fat Tire. Octoberfest and Hefeweizen are two beer styles that are not characterized by heavy hop utilization. Some brewers list the types of hops used on their web sites. Samuel Adams does. Some styles are characterized by particular types of hops or yeast. Anchor Steam uses Northern Brewer hops. Hefeweizen uses particular hops and yeast.

Big American brewers like Coors, Miller, Pabst, Budweiser, etc., make use of other grains in their beers. Corn and rice are common in these beers.

Some of the differences in beer styles are attributed to how the barley is malted prior to brewing. Some is roasted, giving it a darker color and flavor, but it is still barley.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:07 PM

507 posts, read 299,989 times
You'd probably want to start with distilled spirits. Even if they are made yeast, rye, etc. it's unlikely that any allergenic compounds would survive the distillation process.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:13 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,629,691 times
zubrowka or other potato vodka should be OK. I went through a time when they thought I was cereal (wheat/rye) intolerant, turned out it was the other chemicals that I was reactive to not the natural ones.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:05 PM

1,000 posts, read 570,938 times
There are some gluten free beers out there. I have alot of allergies too, including wheat, but am a wine drinker. Have to be careful as well. My go to is "Our daily red". It is gluten free, vegan, no sulfates, no preservatives. Think I am safe here.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:14 PM

738 posts, read 400,674 times
Vodka.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:37 PM

7,099 posts, read 9,304,568 times
Good old fashioned "white lighting" is made from corn.
Gin is basically tater vodka with juniper berries.

You can make your own wine with any ingredients you want, from cherries to dandelions. (If you're a fan of Reggie Perrin, you also know wine can be made from prunes, turnips and parsnips.) Then boil it down into brandy.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,571,397 times
Try pot!

Old 03-27-2017, 07:40 PM

106 posts, read 65,746 times
Default Beer Allergy

Does anyone else on have a beer allergy? Mine has been getting worse lately and it's to a point where I can't drink it at all. I'm not really a fan of liquor and wine is good on occasion but I'm more of a beer guy. Being the only person not drinking at a party is kind of awkward.

Is there anything that can be done to make beer more tolerable? I've read that taking benadryl beforehand might help but something about mixing a medicine that makes me drowsy with beer doesn't sound like a good idea. I've even tried lighter brews and it's just as bad.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:41 PM

106 posts, read 65,746 times
Note to self: Scroll down before creating a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or