Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 02:13 PM

483 posts, read 418,237 times

Advertisements

During college, I was a huge big fan of American Whiskeys and bourbon.
Like the normal college mixer bases of Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack Daniels, Knob creek etc..

But a few years ago, my brother opened my eyes to scotch whiskies.
My first bottle of Yamasaki 18 years old the same year I got married it was bottled.

First taste I was hooked.
It was on the best whisky list international.
Beat out even some of the best known scotches from Scotland.

Had a dram of some 12 years old Glennmorange later too and loved the taste as well (easy drinking) but nuthing like the Yamasaki.

Couldn't find the Yamazaki while traveling through the Japanese airport sadly.
The next bottle we acquired is the Nikka 21 years old.
Another great drinking bottle for sure.

Now I am looking to collect some good whiskeys to share with friends and family during the holiday seasons.

Any recommendations???
Thanks.
👍❤❤❤

Old 10-30-2016, 02:15 PM

I think one brand I need to try is the Hibiki 21.

Heard great stuffs about it.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Japanese whiskies are good. They are not, however, Scotch.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:58 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj.c...android-google

Quite right Japanese whiskeys is no Scotch.

But the taste is what got me hooked not Scotch.
But then maybe because I am a woman so scotch may be too heavy or smokey for my gender???
Or that the Japanese brands appeals to my Asian taste buds.

I really really love the honey notes of Glenmorange.
Any other Scotch recommendations that is not too intense yet appealing for easy sipping???
Attached Thumbnails
Whisky n Bourbon thread??? Your favorite??? Taste. Nose. Discussion.-img_20161030_163321_01.jpg  

Old 10-30-2016, 05:02 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I can tell you that we and our friends have had taste tests on both bourbon and scotch. Of course, we have not tried all of them.
Our winners, so far are:
Macallan 18 scotch
Makers Mark bourbon
Johnny walker Black, for everyday scotch.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:08 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
During college, I was a huge big fan of American Whiskeys and bourbon.
Like the normal college mixer bases of Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Jack Daniels, Knob creek etc..

But a few years ago, my brother opened my eyes to scotch whiskies.
My first bottle of Yamasaki 18 years old the same year I got married it was bottled.

First taste I was hooked.
It was on the best whisky list international.
Beat out even some of the best known scotches from Scotland.

Had a dram of some 12 years old Glennmorange later too and loved the taste as well (easy drinking) but nuthing like the Yamasaki.

Couldn't find the Yamazaki while traveling through the Japanese airport sadly.
The next bottle we acquired is the Nikka 21 years old.
Another great drinking bottle for sure.

Now I am looking to collect some good whiskeys to share with friends and family during the holiday seasons.

Any recommendations???
Thanks.
👍❤❤❤
I think this is an interesting thread!

While away at college (drinking age was a sane 18 at the time) and I tried Jack Daniels, on the rocks.
It's still my "go too" bourbon when I am in a bourbon mood. Not insipid and not over powering. A little smoky. For me. it's the best. But, I will always try something new.

I'd recommend a trip to Louisville KY! If you love bourbon, there are distillery tours, interesting bourbon cocktails and cooking with bourbon. Trust me, you will enjoy yourself.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think this is an interesting thread!

While away at college (drinking age was a sane 18 at the time) and I tried Jack Daniels, on the rocks.
It's still my "go too" bourbon when I am in a bourbon mood. Not insipid and not over powering. A little smoky. For me. it's the best. But, I will always try something new.

I'd recommend a trip to Louisville KY! If you love bourbon, there are distillery tours, interesting bourbon cocktails and cooking with bourbon. Trust me, you will enjoy yourself.
👍👍👍❤❤❤

Cool!!!
Thinking about it next Summer.
Find a great BBQ joint while I am out there.

I looooove a good bourbon!!!
American whiskey bring back such good times it's a must have in my bar!!!

Old 10-30-2016, 05:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I'm female and drink Scotch.

Try Speysides over more heavily peated Islays and such, if smoky notes aren't your thing.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm female and drink Scotch.

Try Speysides over more heavily peated Islays and such, if smoky notes aren't your thing.
Will take your recommendations into consideration.
Is it a pretty easy drink???
What year should I go for???

Old 10-31-2016, 06:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post

Any recommendations???
Thanks.
👍❤❤❤
Cragganmore - a very nice Highlands malt

Lagavulin 16 - for the Islay "seacoast flavor." Very smooth.

Also, an Irish whisky you may enjoy: Bushmills Black Label. Slightly lighter than, but similar to Scotch.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages