U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,283,004 times

Advertisements

I am 61 and was id'ed in World Market when buying a British Christmas Pudding that was advertised as having Glenfiddich whisky in it.

After presenting my id to the young lady, I did point out that any alcohol in the pudding would disappear in cooking. She seemed surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 06:10 PM

957 posts, read 1,308,348 times
I'm knocking on 60 and was carded, and NOT allowed to participate in a bourbon tasting because I had left my id at the hotel. Go figure! But apparently in KY new distilleries have a hi-tech protocol that requires the scanning of your id to prove that you are actually who the id says you are....

Old 02-10-2017, 07:51 AM

1,120 posts, read 649,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am 61 and was id'ed in World Market when buying a British Christmas Pudding that was advertised as having Glenfiddich whisky in it.

After presenting my id to the young lady, I did point out that any alcohol in the pudding would disappear in cooking. She seemed surprised.
When my wife and I were first dating she worked at a World Market. It was company policy to card everyone. Believe me she thought it was annoying but simply had to go along with it, even if the person was clearly in their 60's or beyond. I'm sure this person was just CYA.

I once got carded for a bottle of sparking grape juice. I tried explaining to the clerk that it wasn't an alcoholic beverage, but eventually decided it was easiest just to show my ID.

Another interesting observation. I was buying cooking wine using the self checkout and it didn't promp the system to confirm my age. So a tip for all you teenagers out there, if you don't mind a bit of salt in your beverage go out and get some cooking wine. I also now know better and use real wine when cooking, but that's a different story.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,471,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In West Virginia, some Rite-Aid employees couldn't figure out if a person looked old enough. The company got fined. Now everybody has to show ID to the cashier to buy alcohol. Everybody. Including this gray haired Social Security recipient. That's stupid.

Yeah, same thing with the Md. Rite-Aid, and I'm 73!!!

But that's a special circumstance. To answer the OP question it was 21, and that came as a surprise, because I always looked older. When I was 17, guys who were 18-20 would commission me to buy their alcohol for them. Never carded. The guys were extremely generous with their change and I ended up with a fat wallet.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:33 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,433,338 times
I almost never get alcohol, so the last time I was carded was probably when I was about 31 at a bar where EVERYONE was carded without question. I'm mid-40s now.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:37 PM

16,371 posts, read 5,319,030 times
I was three times the legal drinking age, 63. When the young clerk at Trader Joe's asked for my ID, I thought it was so funny, I burst out laughing. He said that the store's policy was to require ID from everybody no matter what.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:40 PM

43,408 posts, read 52,393,689 times

I just turned 41.

I bet it was one of those situations where everyone just gets carded.

However, a lady at the club just asked which college I play tennis for.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:01 PM

16,648 posts, read 26,615,464 times

It was the first time that I was making Chicken Marsala so of course I had to buy Marsala wine. I'm from Montreal, where the drinking age is 18, but I was living in Connecticut at the time, where it's 21. Anyway. I go to the store, find the wine, and go to the register. She's not ringing up the sale, nothing. Just raises an eyebrow and asks for ID. "Are you kidding?," I ask. "I'm 45 and going to make chicken for my husband." She asks for ID again. I give her my driver's license and she bursts out laughing. "I can't believe it. You look 12." (Okay, I'm short, but 12?!?) She's still not ringing up the sale. She gets on the phone and calls her co-worker to "Come to the front. You've got to see this." The co-worker arrives and the cashier says "This girl is 45! Look at her driver's license." Meanwhile, I just want to get home and make chicken. I know that I look young but I'm beginning to feel embarrassed.

Now I'm 51, almost 52. Those 6 years make a difference. Now I just say "Thank you so much for saying that! Can I buy you a car?" to show my appreciation.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:18 PM

4,033 posts, read 888,666 times
Well I'm 22, so I'll probably get ID'd for the next 10 years at least.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:25 PM

855 posts, read 1,363,337 times
I'm 28 and still get carded sometimes.. mostly at bars and grocery stores where they require everyone to show ID. I rarely get carded at restaurants though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or