Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:40 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,427 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not most people can't taste the difference in red and white either. I've been at a blind tasting with many people who knew a lot about wine, but when served from a black glass in a dimly lit rom and asked to guess the grape about 30% of them guessed a grape of the incorrect color - i.e. cabernet when it was chardonnay.

On the other hand, I've known two super tasters. One was so good, that he could taste a wine that he had never had before and with high accuracy get both the grape (or mix) and the region it was grown in. My step mother is also one, and she can generally name the vintage and label in a blind tasting when served something she has had before.

As for me there are two types of wine - good and bad. Most bottles under $8 are generally bad - I'd rather spend my money on beer. Most bottles above $25 (retail price - at a restaurant multiply this by 3) are good but you get more bang for the buck from beer. The stuff in the middle is hit and miss so I'd rather not take a chance - did I mention there's so many good beers now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Believe it or not most people can't taste the difference in red and white either. I've been at a blind tasting with many people who knew a lot about wine, but when served from a black glass in a dimly lit rom and asked to guess the grape about 30% of them guessed a grape of the incorrect color - i.e. cabernet when it was chardonnay.

On the other hand, I've known two super tasters. One was so good, that he could taste a wine that he had never had before and with high accuracy get both the grape (or mix) and the region it was grown in. My step mother is also one, and she can generally name the vintage and label in a blind tasting when served something she has had before.

As for me there are two types of wine - good and bad. Most bottles under $8 are generally bad - I'd rather spend my money on beer. Most bottles above $25 (retail price - at a restaurant multiply this by 3) are good but you get more bang for the buck from beer. The stuff in the middle is hit and miss so I'd rather not take a chance - did I mention there's so many good beers now.
sorry, I don't agree with you on this one: I think most of us may not know good from not so good wine, but we can certainly tell the difference between red and white.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:13 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,833 times
What a great thread to learn from...!
Actually, the black glass tasting that was mentioned is one test used in the sommelier exams- it is not inherent between white and red wines when the color can't be determined. remember, its all grape juice and if you'll notice, most grape juice is actually clear. Not sure- test it yourself! If you just squeeze the grapes and let the juice run, its almost always colorless, or nearly so. Go figure!
In regard to the original post-
I think its easy to forget that there is a difference between "tasting" wine and "drinking" wine. "Tasting" is for those who really want to study the nuances and details of the wine- the essences, if you will. and that can be important if you need/want to really understand all the science and such that goes into making wines so interesting and different. When you "taste" you're looking for something(s) specific in the wine and your focus is different than if you are just drinking. The language of tasting can be daunting and sounds pretentious to most of us normal people, but to those studying wine, its very specific and clarifies the details.
If you haven't already done so and you are really wanting to get into the minutiae of wine, then try reading Jancis Robinson's blog and also read or take on line the Windows of The World wine courses. they are both highly informative and will really help you. In both cases, what you will see is that even the true "experts" say practice, practice, practice. And that is really the only way to experience enough different wines to gain understanding and appreciation for them.
"Drinking" wine is what you do when you want to enjoy the whole of the wine- and your focus is different. Its usually more important to know if that wine will go well with what you've planned for dinner or with those appetizers than under what conditions were the grapes picked and what's the fermentation process to make your choice.

You may never be able to taste the difference between a $2 bottle of wine and a $200 bottle....well, let me re-state that, cuz you probably could if only given the 2 to choose from. It really doesn't matter, in the whole scheme of things, if you can tell the difference between the two. What's more important is that you learn what you like and don't like, and why, so that you can create those palate memories that serve you down the line and then you'll know if that $200 priced tag is worth it TO YOU.

Anyway, there are so many great resources for learning about wine---someone mentioned the movie "Sour Grapes" which is really interesting, and then there was Somm and Somm: Back in the bottle, and recently I learned of a show on the Esquire network called "Uncorked" which follows a group through the process of preparing for the Master Sommelier exam. Its sort of an extended version of the documentary movie Somm. What those people put themselves through is unbelievable!
And that's probably more than you want to know, but the most important take away, at least in my humble opinion. is understanding that for the "regular" day-to-day person its not really important to be able to tell the difference between expensive and inexpensive wine, but it is important to know what you like and why so that you can decide if the price you're seeing is worth it to you.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:48 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
If you can get a handle on the basics of pairing wine types properly with particular foods, that makes an enormous difference. I normally don't like any wine, but if it's compatible with the food, then it's a nice complement to the meal.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:59 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I do recall a formal dinner.

the gentleman to whom I was accompanied by, ordered it. It was a dry wine. After merely a half of a glass, and much delight in its robust flavor, I was a goner. tipsy. It was one of those wines that was potent, imbibing and delightful to the palate. I know little about wine...yet I can tell you that it was not a 5$ bottle from grannies cellar. It was one of the few times where I caught a glimpse of why folks can delight in wine tasting.

Been years of sobriety now so I haven't a desire for such...I like being coherent
Sort of like what you said. Cheap red wine sometimes gives me a bad reaction...I just found a wine that does not affect me negatively, either for drunkenness or a hangover...Cupcake Black Forest. Very dry, so good with dessert, or dinner. Not super cheap, but in the low teens.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm a foodie, and I can tell the difference between a retail $10-20 wine and a $100 or thereabouts, the latter is better
Absolutely wrong, IMO.

There is a lot that goes into the retail price of wine before it is even bottled. Real estate and marketing add a lot to the price. Land in Napa and Sonoma costs a lot more than comparable land in other parts of the world.

I GUARANTEE YOU I can find a red wine from South America that retails for $20 that you will find better than many $100 wines from Napa or Sonoma.

Guaranteed.

Wine has more volatility in pricing than any other alcohol, IMO.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:49 PM

926 posts, read 827,510 times
$2 wine? what the hell is that? lol.
I've never purchased alcohol for under $70. Don't want to get some $2 wine either lol. I can hardly get a damn water bottle for $1.50.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:00 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
$2 wine? what the hell is that? lol.
I've never purchased alcohol for under $70. Don't want to get some $2 wine either lol. I can hardly get a damn water bottle for $1.50.
Its pretty obvious you have never had a good time.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:56 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,341,315 times
So many good posts here! I am a wine associate (wine consultant and shelf stocker) who has been drinking wine for 40-plus years. I am not a sommelier, but three of my co-workers are, and the favorite everyday wine of one of them (who worked for the Ritz, btw) is a Chilean Pinot Noir for $6.99 a bottle! Now, this is a man who regularly tasted and sold wine costing $3,000 a bottle or more! (Btw, that particular Chilean wine is not rated very highly on most wine review websites, and I personally don't like it at all, but then my palate and that of "average Joe" reviewer are not as sophisticated as my co-worker's is, either!)

FWIW, my favorite Pinot Noir (so far) retails for about $45,00 a bottle, as does my favorite Cab, and my favorite Chardonnay retails for about $25, my favorite Merlot is only about $15, my favorite Pinot Grigio is about $17, my favorite Red Blend is about $15, and my favorite Riesling is about $14. (And, yes, I have tasted several wines of most of those varietals that retail for $50-$100 a bottle.) This averages out to only about $10.00 a bottle more than my favorite everyday wines.

Oh, and please be honest when talking with a wine salesperson about what you like and what your budget is! Despite their knowledge and experience, none of my co-workers are wine "snobs", and our only goal is to try to match you with a wine that YOU would like. We get people in all the time who seem embarrassed when they say they don't want to spend more than $30.00 for a bottle, when in reality, there are plenty of good wines in almost every varietal that cost below $20.00. (The exceptions being Cabs and most French reds, although there are a few -- very few -- Cabs I like for about $15.00, and there is even one Cab that is "acceptable", barely, that retails for about $11.)

But, as I indicated, wine is VERY subjective. As I usually say at least once a day, "For every wine in the world, there will be someone who will love it and someone who will hate it."

Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can't tell the difference between Boone's Farm and what others consider a 'good' wine. So, whether it's $2 or $200.. I'm not drinking it.
It may have to do with the taste buds we've developed over the course of our lives, our surrounding environment, and what's deemed acceptable within our social circles.

For example, I grew up in a predominantly beer and rum environment. However, after years of residing near great California wines within arm's reach, it was a given to develop a liking and appreciation for a good glass of wine, especially when paired with a particular food. Wine is now a part of my daily living. My preferences vary with the seasons: Chilled Sauvignon Blanc, Fume Blanc, Pinot Gris, Pinot Grigio, during warmer months; Pinot Noir during cooler weather.

My old friends who reside in the Caribbean are hardcore beer drinkers given the balmy island climates. They have a hard time accepting my love for wine and disdain for beer. Regardless, our palates grow and adapt to our immediate environs.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-04-2017 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: fixed quote tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages