U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 AM

485 posts, read 270,176 times

Advertisements

Okay—so I used to work in a restaurant and never really got past vodka. I hated gin. Brown liquor was a mystery and always seemed too dry, harsh or metallic. For my generation, Sex On The Beach, a Lemon Drop or a Purple Hooter was the pinnacle of cocktail creativity, before the advent of the Cosmopolitan.

So... over the past two years I've been exposed to a lot of different drinks, both classic and leaping on the bandwagon of "let's try this and see what happens," that seems to be really pervasive in a lot of the newer restaurants. The newer cocktails tend be a lot more expensive, but some of the flavors are amazing.

What has been your favorite discoveries?

Mine has been
—Campari/Aperol
—Cynar
—using different kinds of bitters
—higher end bourbons
—Gin
—Lillet
—spicy ingredients, like jalapeño

I still haven't developed an appreciation for the Bloody Mary. Maybe next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM

811 posts, read 722,113 times
Loving all of it!! Both classic and the nouveau, "chef-inspired" concoctions. The complexity and diversity in drinks these days is super fun. It's now just as fun to pair cocktails with food as it is wine. I put together a grapefruit-elderflower-lime-gin cocktail to go with a colorful citrus-arugula salad, seared scallops with a lemon-honey beurre blanc, and roasted cauliflower puree, a couple of nights ago. It's just fun and exciting to make the cocktail a true, purposeful part of the meal, as someone who is passionate about cooking and food.

I love everything on your list, for sure (and I'm definitely bitters-obsessed), but I'll add Fernet, St Germain (I'm having so much fun with elderflower right now, obviously!), Benedictine, and Chartreuse to your liquor list, for things I'm especially enjoying right now.

Other trends that I'm participating in and loving:
- Infused liquors (homemade concoctions in the cabinet now: meyer lemon vodka, rosemary gin, coriander tequila, spiced vermouth, chamomile whiskey)
- Simple syrups (mint, star anise, rosemary, ginger...)
- Tinctures (chipotle, thyme, cardamom, smoke...)

And I'm a bloody caesar fan, myself.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:10 AM

36,488 posts, read 41,660,628 times
The only cocktails I really like are bloody marys and margaritas.

Otherwise, if I'm drinking liquor, it's whisky, neat.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 AM

485 posts, read 270,176 times
I love, love, love Cynar. It's a weird, earthy flavor like a concentrated-but-vegetal version of Coke.

It really adds depth to a cocktail, especially with something that's already spicy or intense (gin or anything brown works).

It's made from artichoke hearts and is something fairly recent on the scene—since a lot of bars don't have it, or the bartenders haven't heard of it (but it's been popular in Italy since the 40s or 50s, I think).

Old 04-06-2017, 12:27 PM

811 posts, read 722,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
I love, love, love Cynar. It's a weird, earthy flavor like a concentrated-but-vegetal version of Coke.

It really adds depth to a cocktail, especially with something that's already spicy or intense (gin or anything brown works).

It's made from artichoke hearts and is something fairly recent on the scene—since a lot of bars don't have it, or the bartenders haven't heard of it (but it's been popular in Italy since the 40s or 50s, I think).
Yes, I love it too! I agree: it's hard to explain to people, but there is a special depth to a drink that includes complex bitter elements. it just makes the drink so much more interesting and satisfying to sip.

I highly recommend you give Fernet Branca (another, Italian bitter liquor, as is Cynar) a try. It's bitter, sweet, minty, and definitely herbaceous (like Cynar). You clearly have a "bartender's palate" and fernet is a very favorite bitter liqueur among bartenders who are "in the know." Check it out!

Old 04-06-2017, 03:11 PM

21,112 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
I highly recommend you give Fernet Branca (another, Italian bitter liquor, as is Cynar) a try. It's bitter, sweet, minty, and definitely herbaceous (like Cynar). You clearly have a "bartender's palate" and fernet is a very favorite bitter liqueur among bartenders who are "in the know." Check it out!
Me too! It really adds a new dimension to a Manhattan. Instead of one part Sweet Vermouth split it with Fernet Branca along with a few dashes of bitters. It really gives a lot more depth when paired with a smoky Bourbon like Knob Creek or Maker's Mark.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:05 AM

35,062 posts, read 19,171,984 times
I generally like my liquor straight up.

But I'll drink the occasional Bloody Mary, Margarita, Old Fashioned, or Vodka Martini.

I'm old. No need to experiment with looking for what I like. One of the advantages of advancing age.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,514 posts, read 54,065,915 times
I stick to Boubon and water, preferably Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey. I don't like to fuss around with flavored drinks, though I did enjoy a Hurricane or two when visiting in New Orleans.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:01 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,996,116 times
We rarely drink alcohol but when we do it is never some fruity, frou frou, trendy alleged drink.
Always a good beer (in our opinion) or Whiskey straight up unless there is Moonshine around then we will have a wee bit of that.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:19 AM

36,946 posts, read 45,385,657 times
Honestly, we are not into fancy cocktails at all. We are strictly Bourbon or scotch drinkers, with the occasional gin or vodka martini.
We did get introduced to Fireball shots by our kids recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or