Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:02 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
and there needs to be a designated driver
Yes several of the bars I frequented in college offered free N/A drinks to encourage designated drivers. Most people who chose not to drink would still tip a buck for a soda or whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
I don't drink, but I do like going to a bar to have a good time (dancing, playing pool, talking/socializing, etc.). But some other people seem to be annoyed at me, because I don't drink alcohol beverages. Is it really necessary to drink and be an idiot? I think not. I think I can have a diet coke anytime I want to.

So, how do you feel when you go to a bar and see someone ordering a non-alcohol beverage??

Who gets annoyed? Th company you are with? If that is the case it is probably because you don't become as goofy as they do after a few glasses so they feel like you are boring? Why knows! Screw them anyways, it is your body and you do what you want!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 PM

37 posts, read 66,593 times
Quote:
I don't drink, but I do like going to a bar to have a good time (dancing, playing pool, talking/socializing, etc.). But some other people seem to be annoyed at me, because I don't drink alcohol beverages. Is it really necessary to drink and be an idiot? I think not. I think I can have a diet coke anytime I want to.

So, how do you feel when you go to a bar and see someone ordering a non-alcohol beverage??
I drink occasionally, but I don't go to bars to drink that often. I sometimes drink if people want me to and sometimes I don't, but it is annoying if you say you don't want to drink and people want you to drink more.

If the people pushing others to get drunk knew that that person may not go out with them the next time because they don't like to be told what to do then they probably wouldn't try persuading others to drink so much.

I think it's great that you still go to have fun, but don't have to drink to do so.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
I don't drink either; never have. My friends know it and are grateful. I'm not only the DD I'm the one that keeps them from doing things they may otherwise regret in the morning. Having someone in the bar with a clear mind seems to put the staff at ease. I've never had anyone look at me funny or give me a hard time.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I don't drink either; never have. My friends know it and are grateful. I'm not only the DD I'm the one that keeps them from doing things they may otherwise regret in the morning. Having someone in the bar with a clear mind seems to put the staff at ease. I've never had anyone look at me funny or give me a hard time.
Friends willing to be the DD are always appreciated!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Friends willing to be the DD are always appreciated!
It's a bonus for me too. I'm a car freak, so I get to decide who's car we're going in and I get to drive it. Woo Hoo! LOL Everyone wins!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
Exactly! I play much better when I don't drink and people like me. And the owner/manager likes to see me come in again.
Sounds like the owner likes you. Is it guys that give you crap for not drinking? If so, they probably are insecure and think that if you're drunk it will be easier to hook up with you. Sad, but true.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 AM

123 posts, read 256,690 times
i also don`t drink alcohol, even in a bar but this because i dont like the taste`but i don`t see the problem with it. if u go to a bar u must drink alcohol...?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Swell View Post
Sounds like the owner likes you. Is it guys that give you crap for not drinking? If so, they probably are insecure and think that if you're drunk it will be easier to hook up with you. Sad, but true.
haha, if leana isnt putting out then she isnt welcome!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:56 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I do not go to bars anymore. Ever!
BUT (!)....if you go to a bar then you can do whatever you want, dammit!
I've gone to bars with a friend and told the bartender, "Two milks, please".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages