Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,444,390 times

Advertisements

New Mexico!

https://www.newmexico.org/places-to-...hiddencats=862

I am only familiar with the ones in the Southwestern part of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 AM

24,181 posts, read 13,035,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
New Mexico!

https://www.newmexico.org/places-to-...hiddencats=862

I am only familiar with the ones in the Southwestern part of the state.
There are several north of Santa Fe as well, in the Dixon area. Vivác in particular, extremely knowledgeable staff and excellent wines.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:20 AM

1,121 posts, read 1,699,192 times
I was asked to look into Pahrump (SP?) by a group member....anyone have experience with them?

And Sluggo- do you have a specific wine rec. from Vivac?

Old 07-23-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
I was asked to look into Pahrump (SP?) by a group member....anyone have experience with them?

And Sluggo- do you have a specific wine rec. from Vivac?
In 2008 I visited Pahrump while I was in a training course at Nellis AFB outside of Vegas. Nearly all of their grapes came from California, there was one, I believe it was viognier, that was from Nevada. Looking at their website now, everything seems to come from California.

Vivác had an excellent Tempranillo, Sangiovese, and a blend called Divine which wasn't on the tasting menu but the guy pouring understood my wife and I were oenophiles and opened it up... We took home three.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:37 PM

sluggo-
got your message- thanks. I had not heard that vintners were going to have to dump the wines. To the contrary, my sources say that nearly 80% of the grapes were picked and safely ensconced in their fermentation vessels at the time of the fires. Now that said, most of my contacts are in Sonoma County, not Napa.
It sounds like the jury is still out on the un-picked Cabernet, however....

As for the project this thread pertains to, turns out that Parhump now has 3 labels, and they did keep the Parhump Valley label, which is sourced from elsewhere, but they also have a Nevada label which is 100% Nevada, from grape to glass. The Tempranillo has good reviews.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:12 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,310,089 times
East of Chicago, Berrien County, MI(east of Chicago, and northwest of South Bend, it's the Michigan county with Saint Joseph and Benton Harbor) has a whole bunch of wineries. Gravity, Dablon Vineyards(sp? the guy who owns the Music Box Theater in Chicago owns this place), Round Barn, to name just a few of at least several all in that county alone. There's also one on the east side/outskirts of Michigan City, IN on the Indiana side(forgetting the name of that one at the moment, it's close to the beer microbrewery Burn 'Em Brewery) that one could easily drive to, that's close to the Indiana/Michigan border.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:34 AM

thank you all for your input so far. Just to send an update- I currently have wines from 12 states- 20+ wines in total.
In hand, I have: ID, CO, WI, MI, OH, NY, MD, VA, NC, MO, NV, TX.
Regarding NV- I did contact PARHUMP, and they offer 3 tiers of wine from that facility. Parhump itself is mostly out-sourced, but their "Nevada Ridge" line is 100% Nevada product; much of it estate grown.

I am torn between two facilities for my example of "sparkling wine"; either Mawby from Michigan or Gruet from NM--
does anyone out there have experience with those two ? I'd be willing to go to a different state if there is something out there I haven't noted- these are the only ones I've seen or heard of thus far that can ship or distribute to the Carolinas.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
thank you all for your input so far. Just to send an update- I currently have wines from 12 states- 20+ wines in total.
In hand, I have: ID, CO, WI, MI, OH, NY, MD, VA, NC, MO, NV, TX.
Regarding NV- I did contact PARHUMP, and they offer 3 tiers of wine from that facility. Parhump itself is mostly out-sourced, but their "Nevada Ridge" line is 100% Nevada product; much of it estate grown.

I am torn between two facilities for my example of "sparkling wine"; either Mawby from Michigan or Gruet from NM--
does anyone out there have experience with those two ? I'd be willing to go to a different state if there is something out there I haven't noted- these are the only ones I've seen or heard of thus far that can ship or distribute to the Carolinas.
I have been to Gruet a couple times, most notably about a year ago after I came back from Phoenix for the holidays and stopped in Albuquerque. Still have a bottle of Demi Sec, below. Gruet has some excellent still wines (chardonnay and pinot noir) sourced from their vineyards south of ABQ; unique wines very much unlike their Napa and Sonoma counterparts. Great tasting room experience, too... it seems that everyone who works there knows their wines very well. In a few weeks I'll be back.

In 2008 my wife and I visited Traverse City after I had been to that area on business a year earlier. We visited the Leelanau Peninsula and were favorably impressed with the wineries there, but Mawby was not a place we visited, it was Columbus Day weekend, the trees were exploding in color and it was a very busy time; Mawby was packed, and with so many places to choose from, we went elsewhere. On the Mission Peninsula there was a place called Black Star, I remember their tasting room as an "interesting" experience, but that they also had an exceptional pair of sparklers, and that they shipped almost everywhere (but not to OK). I'd also recommend Glen Arbor but they don't ship, as least as far as I can tell.

Stone Hill in Missouri makes some very interesting sparkling wines. Their Brut wines are quite dry and are not sugary sweet at all, made from Vidal grapes. They ship almost everywhere.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 12-06-2017 at 08:40 AM..

Old 12-07-2017, 11:05 AM

Thanks Sluggo-
I have Stone Hill for their still - I have the Estate Norton and Chambourcin. Interesting that you would mention Black Star as that is one of the alternates I have on my list; I haven't investigated them yet, but I will now that you say they offer sparkling as well.
You're a wealth of information- thanks so much.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:41 PM

You're welcome. My wife and I enjoy finding out-of-the-way wine trails... Grand Junction, CO, Altus, AR, Herrmann, MO, Dahlonega, GA, among others, often because my job occasionally takes me to odd places. I was in Lubbock a couple weeks ago, and while Texas has some ideas about becoming the next Napa, at least along US 290 west of Austin, it'll never happen, Texas' climate is too unpredictable. A few years ago Food and Wine profiled non-traditional wine trails, including Caldwell, Idaho, Fredericksburg, TX, Grand Junction, and the Traverse City area. We already knew about TX and the article came out literally a week before we went to Traverse City so we were prepared... Idaho is the one remaining. Maybe some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages