U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:15 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,865,511 times

Advertisements

I strongly recommend K&L Wines for online wine shopping. They've got a pretty fantastic selection, including some regions uncommon to find in the US (like Georgia, Hungary, and Lebanon). They are local to me, with their brick & mortar warehouses/retail locations in Northern California. Many wines they carry will have descriptions either from wine publications or from the staff themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have belonged to one online wine club (Forbes) and two winery wine clubs. The following is just based on my personal experience with these:

1. I would NOT recommend joining a wine club unless you like at least 75% of the wines from a particular winery. The problem is that, at least the wine clubs I belonged to, you have limited control over what you receive, at least at first. After you know what wines you like, you CAN specify, but it takes a while, and meanwhile, you could spend well over $1,000 on wines you don't like. Of course, that happens when you just take a chance when you purchase from a wine or liquor store, but at least you can read the labels, talk to a wine consultant/salesperson before you purchase, so the odds are better that you will get a wine you like if you purchase it in person. (However, I have been drinking wine for over 40 years, and my average is still just about 75% of choosing a new-to-me wine I like, even though I know what words to look for and which to avoid -- for example, I know that I will not like any wines with lime or grapefruit notes -- although I have learned that label descriptions can be VERY misleading, and a wine can taste very different from person to person, depending on their palate. You have only to read online reviews of the same wine and vintage to verify this, lol!)

2. Another problem is that if you buy wines online to be shipped during very warm months, the wine can arrive "cooked". This is especially a problem with white wines. Some wines I have ordered have sat in a UPS truck for up to eight or so hours in 90 degree heat, and so the bottles would actually be very warm to the touch when I unpacked them -- NOT good!

3. I do not THINK there would be a problem with ordering wines online that you KNOW you like, if you do so during the cooler months and if you can get a good deal, but then you have to figure in shipping costs.
I think joining a wine club is a good idea if: 1) you like a winery's wines, and 2) you will visit in person on a regular basis. The non-wine perks make a membership much more worthwhile in my view, like free tastings & access to special events.

And another plug for K&L, they use temperature sensitive shipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 02:12 PM

71,717 posts, read 83,316,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I strongly recommend K&L Wines for online wine shopping. They've got a pretty fantastic selection, including some regions uncommon to find in the US (like Georgia, Hungary, and Lebanon). They are local to me, with their brick & mortar warehouses/retail locations in Northern California. Many wines they carry will have descriptions either from wine publications or from the staff themselves.

I think joining a wine club is a good idea if: 1) you like a winery's wines, and 2) you will visit in person on a regular basis. The non-wine perks make a membership much more worthwhile in my view, like free tastings & access to special events.

And another plug for K&L, they use temperature sensitive shipping.
good to know. I have never had a problem with shipping and heat, but as I mentioned, we have had a couple of problems with the very cold temps, only in unbelievable cold years, but it is still a problem. It is like, the occasional time we get a bad bottle. The positive side, the companies have always made the bad bottles good. It is a win win, except for the inconvenience: We get another bottle and can use the open bottle for cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or