Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,335,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm not a Scotch drinker so I'm a little clueless. The only think I know is "whisky" refers to Scotch and "whiskey" refers to bourbon. That's all I got.

I want to get a bottle of Scotch for someone (15 year old--the Scotch, not him lol) and I'm a little lost with the various barrels and "malts".

For example, there are different types of Macallan 15 year old Scotch. Some say Scotch Whisky, some say Malt.

Is it all Scotches are whisky but not all whiskies are Scotches? I'm so confused.

Anyway, what would some of you recommend for a good quality 15 year old Scotch? Not looking for Johnny Walker and I'm familiar with Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie.
How about something completely different from those? Lagavulin 16 year. It's QUITE a bit different from a standard scotch and definitely NOT for everyone.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...in-16-year-old

I found a bottle at Costco once for $60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
How about something completely different from those? Lagavulin 16 year. It's QUITE a bit different from a standard scotch and definitely NOT for everyone.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...in-16-year-old

I found a bottle at Costco once for $60.
What makes it different? I've seen 18 year and older--I imagine they are "stronger"? $60 is very reasonable. I'd like to keep it under $100.

I know he likes 15 year so not sure if he'd like 16 and older

Old 10-20-2017, 08:28 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,335,632 times
Quote:
What makes it different? I've seen 18 year and older--I imagine they are "stronger"? $60 is very reasonable. I'd like to keep it under $100.

I know he likes 15 year so not sure if he'd like 16 and older
Has nothing to do with being "stronger." It has everything to do with it's flavor profile which has more smoke than anything I've tasted. It's very strong but very different from anything I've tasted. It's not something I'd love to have all the time, but it's very unique and I think many guests you had over would be willing to try. Good conversation piece.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
I'm not a Scotch drinker so I'm a little clueless. The only think I know is "whisky" refers to Scotch and "whiskey" refers to bourbon. That's all I got.
The "ey" ending refers to any type that's not Scotch, not just Bourbon. Irish whiskey, for instance, is an "ey."

You also don't hear Scots themselves referring to anything as Scotch. They just call it whisky.

Quote:
I want to get a bottle of Scotch for someone (15 year old--the Scotch, not him lol) and I'm a little lost with the various barrels and "malts".

For example, there are different types of Macallan 15 year old Scotch. Some say Scotch Whisky, some say Malt.

Is it all Scotches are whisky but not all whiskies are Scotches? I'm so confused.
All Macallan is Scotch (whisky). It's a single malt, and considered a Speyside, because of the region the Macallan distillery is located in, along the River Spey.

The biggest difference you're gonna see with Scotch whiskies is whether it's a single malt, or a blend of different malts. Of those you list, Johnnie Walker is a blend. But whether single malt or blend, it's still whisky.

Sometimes whisky is matured in barrels/casks that were used for other purposes. Sherry casks and bourbon casks used to mature whisky impart different notes.

Quote:

Anyway, what would some of you recommend for a good quality 15 year old Scotch? Not looking for Johnny Walker and I'm familiar with Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie.
It's truly hard to recommend without knowing taste preferences. Whisky made in different regions of Scotland is done in different styles, has different flavors. A smokey, peated Islay type is a different drink altogether than a sweeter, grassy Speyside, or one that's matured in Sherry casks, for instance.

It's not unlike buying wine for somebody. To get something they'll likely enjoy, you have to know what flavor profiles and styles they prefer.

The age doesn't necessarily make a whisky better or worse, though it often affects price point. It didn't mean it's stronger. It's just that different v yeasts result in different flavor profiles, much like wine.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 10-20-2017 at 11:00 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 10:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
This isn't the most complete map showing different whisky distilling regions, but it isn't bad. It gives some descriptions of flavor profiles, too.

Under the Islay designation, they note one of my favorites, Bruichladdich.

whisky regions map

Old 10-27-2017, 12:08 PM

78 posts, read 100,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This isn't the most complete map showing different whisky distilling regions, but it isn't bad. It gives some descriptions of flavor profiles, too.

Under the Islay designation, they note one of my favorites, Bruichladdich.

whisky regions map
Friday night sounds perfect for giving Bruichladdich a try.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 PM

36 posts, read 28,611 times
Tried Old Smuggler this past week. Did not disappoint.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:09 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
I have learned to appreciate blends over single malts... much less expensive and often less harsh. I like Johnnie Walker Black Label - it has a certain sweetness/smootheness and I think it sells for right around the OP's figure.

Brings me to a question - How does Chivas Regal 12 compare to Dewars 12? I am sure I have tried both but not in many years so wondering which would be a good try on a Saturday night.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:19 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
I'm usually an Islay peaty whiskey sipper (my favourite being Caol Ila) however I recently tried Tomatin 12yr which is a highland whiskey and was pleasantly surprised.
I paid $32 which puts it right in between the cheaper Grouse and Dewars and quite a bit under my usual tipples which are usually in the $60-80 range.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:50 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
There's more to whiskey/whisky than Scotch and bourbon. For example, there's rye whiskey and single malt whiskey which is not Scotch (because it originates other than in Scotland) and wheat whiskey and a few other varieties.

Generally, 'whiskey' is used in the United States and Ireland, while in the rest of the world - Scotland, Canada, Japan, etc. - 'whisky' is used. In the middle of the 19th century, both varieties were used interchangeably in both British and American English. Since then, the Brits have generally moved away from the 'e' while Americans have moved towards it, though the stateside shakeout took longer. People think 'whisky' means Scotch because since 'whisky' is exclusively used in the only place where Scotch can be produced. Usage is still not uniform among American brands, however, such as in the case of George Dickel, which has been producing the spirit since before the spelling was (mostly) settled in the United States.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages