U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 03:54 PM

1,167 posts, read 471,789 times

Advertisements

My experience suggests that scotch tends to be an acquired taste, and some folks never do grow to like it. It also doesn’t help that one normally drinks scotch with just ice, water, soda, or some combination of these. Other alcoholic spirits except liqueurs often get mixed with juices or sweetened sodas or sour mix bases (gin, vodka, whisky, bourbon, rum, tequila) so the taste is often covered up. Yeah, I know, one can get things like rob roys or rusty nails or scotch sours. But my experience suggests scotch drinkers tend to avoid cocktails like this.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:02 PM

1,167 posts, read 471,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
That being said, it's not something I'll buy in bulk because Scotch is SUPER expensive. For one bottle of good Scotch, I can buy two bottles of decent bourbon.

One thing I'm still trying to acquire a taste for is tequila. Even the expensive bottles taste too raw and funky for me. I love it mixed though.
Thanks. You can find cheap scotch, but itís normally not worth bothering with. And high end scotch can get really expensive. Though thatís also true of cognac, certain aperitifs and liqueurs, and a few other things.

Tequila was just one of those things I could never stomach, along with a few other things like vermouth or gin. I couldnít even tolerate it in a cocktail like a margarita or tequila sunrise ó the nasty sourish taste just pushed through the ingredients for me.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:24 PM

36,491 posts, read 41,670,258 times
In all honesty, I don't care for very many Bourbons, but the one I will drink, after a fashion, is typically the same price range, to slightly more expensive than the typical workday Scotch whiskies we keep on hand. You CAN spend a lot of money on Scotch. You don't HAVE to, though...you can get a number of very good whiskies without breaking the bank. We generally have a really nice bottle or two on hand. We've been nursing a "special occasion" bottle of a limited edition variety of Jura that we got on our honeymoon in Scotland in 2014, because it's not available here. We also picked up a really nice bottle at the Dalmore distillery that was NOT cheap. But our "everyday" (no, we don't drink whisky every day, but you know what I mean) bottles are of a far more budget-friendly price range.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:19 AM

15,254 posts, read 12,499,091 times
Quote:
I wanted to update this. I've since tried some different types of Scotch (Macallen Fine Oak, Balvenie Doublewood, Glenfarclas 105, Glenfiddich 15) and realize that I do like Scotch, but I don't like peated/smoky Islay Scotch. I need to stick to highland or speyside and stick to sherried or fruity pours.

I still prefer bourbon because of the heavy, wood, sweet, and caramel flavors which I have not yet found with Scotch, but a nice light/fruity Scotch is refreshing to drink and just different.

That being said, it's not something I'll buy in bulk because Scotch is SUPER expensive. For one bottle of good Scotch, I can buy two bottles of decent bourbon.

One thing I'm still trying to acquire a taste for is tequila. Even the expensive bottles taste too raw and funky for me. I love it mixed though.
All you need for whisky is Irn Bru... I used to love this drink only I dont drink alchohol now at all. enjoy... I never liked the malt expensive whiskys.. Whyte and Mackay was my favourite...I also tried Bushmills in Ireland. every smooth whisky but I dont like Bourbon at all..

Old 07-05-2018, 12:49 AM

1,327 posts, read 775,204 times
Quote:
Is there something wrong with me? Anyone else not like Scotch? I've tried 3 different types (good $50+ bottles) from a friend and they all taste nasty to me. It just tastes like smoke and dirt in a liquid form.

I'm a big bourbon fan, so I certainly like whiskey. I like the caramel, vanilla, and sweeter flavor of bourbon.
Nothing wrong with you. Scotch taste nasty to me too, like rubbing alcohol smells.... I'm a Bourbon whiskey girl. Taste so much better!

Old 07-05-2018, 01:11 AM

15,254 posts, read 12,499,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Nothing wrong with you. Scotch taste nasty to me too, like rubbing alcohol smells.... I'm a Bourbon whiskey girl. Taste so much better!
It s what you put in it ... some drink it neat , some with ice or water..

Old 07-05-2018, 05:14 AM

71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
My experience suggests that scotch tends to be an acquired taste, and some folks never do grow to like it. It also doesnít help that one normally drinks scotch with just ice, water, soda, or some combination of these. Other alcoholic spirits except liqueurs often get mixed with juices or sweetened sodas or sour mix bases (gin, vodka, whisky, bourbon, rum, tequila) so the taste is often covered up. Yeah, I know, one can get things like rob roys or rusty nails or scotch sours. But my experience suggests scotch drinkers tend to avoid cocktails like this.
might be right and I am one who never acquired that taste, but hubby did after have one or two I think years ago. That is almost the only hard liquor he drinks. and yes, you are right, other than maybe a Rob Roy hubby and the few other members of our family that love their scotch only want it straight and sometimes not even with ice if it is a good brand of scotch.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 AM

55,605 posts, read 54,202,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Gin is vodka with some taste additives.
AHA! I KNEW there was Pine Sol in there!

Old 07-08-2018, 12:01 PM

8,143 posts, read 11,041,171 times
I don't like Scotch or any other whiskey. The only liquors I can tolerate are tequila and vodka, maybe gin in a mixed drink..

Old 07-08-2018, 03:22 PM

4,956 posts, read 2,248,280 times
If you want an "introductory" Scotch I recommend good old Dewar's white label. It's not fancy and Scotch snobs won't like it, but it has a milder taste.

For the somewhat fancier single malts, Glenlivet 12 and Glenfiddich 12 are smooth tasting.

The "peaty" taste can be quite offputting when you first encounter it.

It's almost like there are two kinds of liquor, "little-peat Scotch" and "lotsa-peat Scotch".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or