Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:04 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

Is there something wrong with me? Anyone else not like Scotch? I've tried 3 different types (good $50+ bottles) from a friend and they all taste nasty to me. It just tastes like smoke and dirt in a liquid form.

I'm a big bourbon fan, so I certainly like whiskey. I like the caramel, vanilla, and sweeter flavor of bourbon.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I'm sorry, this made me giggle...

Scotch is an acquired taste. The first time I tried it my whole being violently shuddered.

You gotta get the good stuff - I broke my teeth on JW Black and Ballantine's (the round bottle, not the boxy one). You also have to figure out if you prefer it with ice, with water, with a mixer, a chaser, etc.

However - if you prefer sweet tasting liquor, you're probably never going to get to like drinking scotch. Maybe you wanna try some Bailey's instead?

Old 10-24-2017, 11:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Is there something wrong with me? Anyone else not like Scotch? I've tried 3 different types (good $50+ bottles) from a friend and they all taste nasty to me. It just tastes like smoke and dirt in a liquid form.

I'm a big bourbon fan, so I certainly like whiskey. I like the caramel, vanilla, and sweeter flavor of bourbon.
I'm the reverse; I don't particularly care for many bourbons. Woodford Reserve, I'll drink. Other than that, meh.

What three whiskies have you sampled? What regions they're from makes a lot of difference. If you're sampling heavily peated, smokey whiskies, that's a completely different character than ones from distilleries in regions where that's not the typical flavor profile. There are sweeter, lighter, less earthy Scotch whiskies. If you're drinking Laphroiag, or similar, then, no, you're not gonna get those notes.

Price point has nothing to do with the flavor profile; styles, methods and materials of individual distilleries does.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm the reverse; I don't particularly care for many bourbons. Woodford Reserve, I'll drink. Other than that, meh.

What three whiskies have you sampled? What regions they're from makes a lot of difference. If you're sampling heavily peated, smokey whiskies, that's a completely different character than ones from distilleries in regions where that's not the typical flavor profile. There are sweeter, lighter, less earthy Scotch whiskies. If you're drinking Laphroiag, or similar, then, no, you're not gonna get those notes.

Price point has nothing to do with the flavor profile; styles, methods and materials of individual distilleries does.
One was Kilchoman Machir Bay, other was Laphroaig Quarter Cask, last was Glenmorangie (12yr I think).

Glenmorangie was the best tasting of the bunch, but still too dirt and smoke tasting.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:10 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm sorry, this made me giggle...

Scotch is an acquired taste. The first time I tried it my whole being violently shuddered.

You gotta get the good stuff - I broke my teeth on JW Black and Ballantine's (the round bottle, not the boxy one). You also have to figure out if you prefer it with ice, with water, with a mixer, a chaser, etc.

However - if you prefer sweet tasting liquor, you're probably never going to get to like drinking scotch. Maybe you wanna try some Bailey's instead?
Not sure what you mean by acquired taste, I think some people gravitate toward one kind or family of booze no matter how fair of a shot (no pun intended) they've given something else. You can sit me down in front of the foremost gin expert with a budget of $1000 and I still would barely tolerate even the best of gin. Scotch too, but not for lack of trying.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Not sure what you mean by acquired taste, I think some people gravitate toward one kind or family of booze no matter how fair of a shot (no pun intended) they've given something else. You can sit me down in front of the foremost gin expert with a budget of $1000 and I still would barely tolerate even the best of gin. Scotch too, but not for lack of trying.
No worries - here is an explanation of what the term acquired taste means.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...acquired-taste

Let me know if you need further explanation - I'll be happy to oblige.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:17 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:

Nope, I was raised on Bourbon. My parents were in the business

I never acquired a taste for Scotch. I can't stand it

Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:

Not all Scotch Whisky is alike. It sounds like you tried more intense versions like Laphroaig or Oban. I would suggest trying one of the smoother brands like Glenmorangie 10 year or Macallan 12 year.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
No worries - here is an explanation of what the term acquired taste means.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...acquired-taste

Let me know if you need further explanation - I'll be happy to oblige.
Oh cooooool, a dictionary. I've heard of those, nice to find one.

My post was to try to figure out if the use of "acquired taste" was meant to mean "you'd like it if you tried hard enough" or the actual definition which would not imply that liking it is a necessary outcome.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:03 PM

I get what he means about an acquired taste. Remember the first time you tried alcohol and thought it was nasty? I used to mix my vodka with Hawaiian Punch so I wouldn't have to taste any alcohol. Now that I'm older, I drink everything straight, or mix it with something that brings out the taste.

I'm still not a fan of beer. I don't think I've ever finished a can/bottle/glass. Just tastes nasty to me. I guess Scotch will just be another one of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages