Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 07:57 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

I've run into situations where I wanted to buy a six-pack of beer or something, only to be told: "We can't sell alcohol until [time] on Sunday", while, say, picking up a 12-pack to go to a brunch barbecue. Basically, the store had shorter alcohol sales hours on Sundays. Luckily, I live near a major city, and can always go to the next suburb over. While traveling, I ran into similar situations in other states, with some places prohibiting alcohol sales all day on Sundays.

I did some research, and realized I'm pretty lucky in Illinois: it's on the permissive side of the alcohol sales spectrum. The most "uptight" state was Utah, with Texas a close second. The most permissive state was Nevada, followed by Louisiana. Deep South states were surprisingly lax for their stereotype (excluding dry counties). But no matter the location, all but the most permissive ones had at least some law making Sunday alcohol sales more strict than on other days.

Maybe someone here will have ideas why, this being an alcohol forum. I originally thought it was meant to encourage a healthy behavior (being sober), but then why single out Sundays to do that? Is/Was it some attempt to legislate morality, with Sunday historically being a church day? Or is/was there a practical reason for it? Like, transport logistics were more complicated on Sundays on the past. Or even a way to protect employees of alcohol sellers? Namely, to have them start later, and thus, sleep longer (or attend church).

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-26-2018 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 08:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Religious holdover. Nothing more or less.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:16 AM

776 posts, read 393,898 times
Either to give employees a weekend or because they think it's un-Christian to drink on Sunday.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 AM

73 posts, read 101,844 times
Just a hold over from the prohibition movement....and yes, it was to encourage sobriety at church back in the day. Now it's mostly 'that's how we have always done it'....some states in recent years have allowed sunday sales where in the past they didn't.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
Indiana just started allowing alcohol sales on Sunday this year.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Blue laws. They also restrict what type of alcohol can be sold where, some places.

We have some of the strictest liquor laws in the country, and actually, the state has never ratified the Amendment ending Prohibition nationwide..

Old 04-06-2018, 07:44 AM

1,971 posts, read 1,934,965 times
first world problems

Old 04-08-2018, 07:12 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Indiana just started allowing alcohol sales on Sunday this year.
Minnesota just started allowing liquor stores to be open on Sundays last year. Before that you could but beer in some convenience stores and supermarkets, but only 3.2 beer.

Now, if we could just repeal that idiotic blue law that mandates car dealerships remain closed on Sundays. Most dealers love it - since it's a statewide law, they don't lose any business, and they save the overhead of one day being open. But while it's easy to plan ones drinking a day in advance, it can be a real inconvenience when a dealership is forcibly closed by law on one of the two days most people have off each week, as buying a vehicle is often a time-consuming experience that takes more than one day to accomplish from beginning to end.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:56 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
But while it's easy to plan ones drinking a day in advance, it can be a real inconvenience when a dealership is forcibly closed by law on one of the two days most people have off each week, as buying a vehicle is often a time-consuming experience that takes more than one day to accomplish from beginning to end.
Two days, really? Seems awfully long. The most it took me to buy a car was five hours, including a test drive, paperwork, credit checks, and obtaining insurance. (Although I did a little bit of pre-work with insurance the day before.)

Old 04-08-2018, 12:08 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Two days, really? Seems awfully long. The most it took me to buy a car was five hours, including a test drive, paperwork, credit checks, and obtaining insurance. (Although I did a little bit of pre-work with insurance the day before.)
I have no doubt that it's possible to be in and out in 90 minutes.

However, a lot of people tend to take their time when ponying up tens of thousands of dollars. They drive different models. They assess inventory. If it's used, there's a trip to the mechanic to have it checked out, for those who do not possess the mechanical experience to do so themselves (ie, most people). And I've had times in my life where I've worked Monday thru Saturday for extended periods of time. Suffice it to say, buying that SUV is just a tad more complicated and time-consuming than grabbing a six-pack, your car-acquiring prowess notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages