U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Gin and tonic 14 58.33%
Tequila and tonic 0 0%
Vodka tonic 8 33.33%
All horrible 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:53 PM

774 posts, read 1,261,610 times

Advertisements

Gin and Tonic vs Tequila and tonic vs Vodka tonic. Which do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 12:34 AM

774 posts, read 1,261,610 times
For me, gin and tonic and vodka tonic are pretty close. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. Tequila and tonic is kind of nasty and reminds me of whiskey, for some reason, which I also mostly dislike.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,604,768 times
Though I prefer martinis to gin and tonic.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:22 AM

4,427 posts, read 7,121,450 times
There's a reason gin&T and vodka&T taste almost the same... gin is just vodka with some herbal essences (juniper is the main one). Some gin is so lightly flavored it could pass as vodka, some gin you'll never mistake for anything else.

I voted Vodka Tonic for one simple reason, you can order it out anywhere and it's going to be the same. Gin and Tequila have so many variations (part of why they're enjoyable, but only when you have absolute control over the ingredients), just not worth it.

Not sure if it's my favorite (I'm a rum drinker), just the most tolerable thing to order that can't be messed up.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:43 AM

71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
I voted for vodka and tonic because we are more inclined to have Vodka in the house, but I like Gin and tonic as well or maybe better. Make sure there is a nice slice of lime regardless. Tequila and anything is one drink I never have. One night, one too many tequila drinks and I was cured for life. That was maybe 30 years or so ago.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:54 PM

36,488 posts, read 41,660,628 times
G&t.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 798,737 times
I didn't know that tequila and tonic was a thing. I've obviously never had one, but that just sounds nasty. O_o

I prefer gin & tonic (with Bombay Sapphire,) but vodka tonics are fine as well. I haven't had either for ages, however, as I'm not much of a drinker these days.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:04 AM

4,121 posts, read 4,661,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
There's a reason gin&T and vodka&T taste almost the same... gin is just vodka with some herbal essences (juniper is the main one).
Not true at all. To the uninitiated, they seem similar, but they aren't. It's far more than just "some herbal essences".

Here's a good primer on the differences:
https://vinepair.com/articles/differences-gin-vs-vodka/

Note the opening quote...

Gin and vodka are two very distinct spirits. Most obviously, one is associated with pine and herbal flavors, while the other is often positioned as an odorless, tasteless entity. Yet the two are frequent substitutes for each other in cocktails such as the Martini or Vodka/Gin and Tonic.

Itís easy to think of gin as essentially a flavored vodka, but several intricacies distinguish the two.

I drink both, depending on the cocktail. Gin & tonic happens to be one of my faves (can prevent malaria, you know!). Different gins, and different tonics, make for a variety of distinctive G&Ts. A V&T is just...meh.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 AM

4,427 posts, read 7,121,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Not true at all. To the uninitiated, they seem similar, but they aren't. It's far more than just "some herbal essences".

Here's a good primer on the differences:
https://vinepair.com/articles/differences-gin-vs-vodka/

And from that same exact link...

Redistilled: A neutral base spirit is redistilled with juniper berries and other aromatics.
Compounded: Made by mixing a neutral base spirit with juniper berries and other aromatics.

What is a "neutral base spirit"? Vodka is considered just that.

Yes, there is Also a method where the juniper and other aromatics are added to the same mash that would be used for a neutral base spirit (AKA Vodka) and done all in one go.... but my point, and opinion, remain unchanged.

I'm not against gin, just against the foul concoctions presented at venues where I'd get a drink (in the past decade, 100% from open bars at weddings). At home, where I have control.... I drink Rum.

BTW, drinking just the tonic water (quinine) is the malaria treatment... Gin & Tonic was 'invented' by the British Gov for their soldiers to drink as a way to make sure they were taking the quinine, because what Brit would turn down a liquor drink.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:41 AM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
Gin and tonic tastes way better than the other 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages