Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:22 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times

Advertisements

Curious of folk’s perspectives. EVERY TIME we go to the wine store, other customers or the cashiers make jokes about the quantity of wine we are buying! We purchase 2 cases (24 bottles) which last us roughly one month. We share a bottle at dinner every night and most nights, finish it. That comes to roughly 2 1/2 glasses each. Do people consider this excessive? I have had the same experience in different States; no matter where we shop, somebody makes a joke about how much we are buying. I realize many people do not drink daily but, did not think it is so rare either to have a couple of drinks daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 01:58 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I think it's a bit over the top..every night. Current "recommendations" are that 1-2 drinks per week and you see health benefits...over that might be detrimental.

Not hounding you, just saying it's more than most drink...making a bottle last two nights would be better for you.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:31 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
It sounds normal to me. 1 bottle would be 2.5 alcoholic drinks per person each day, perfectly reasonable. I would think most people are assuming you are buying the wine for one weekend and not for the month, which is why I think you get the comments. Wine bottles look like they contain more than they really do.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:22 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I have a glass of wine most evenings when I come home from the office and my husband has a beer. We may be returning from the gym or elsewhere before we do, but it is a relaxing ritual for us. On the weekends, it is definitely more than a single glass of wine or whatever.

It is a personal choice. I don't see anything negative about your wine consumption so don't let anyone judge you for what you as a responsible adult choose to do. It is no one else's business.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:01 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Ain't nobody's business but yours.
My Italian neighbor says 'A day without wine is like a day without sunshine'.
I like sunshine.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:02 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Way outside what I see as normal... but who's to say my "normal" is actually normal? It's just normal for my house, and the homes of everyone we know.

5 glasses by 7 days is 35 drinks. Cut in half is 17.5 per person, per week. I think my wife and I have 5 drinks a week (nearly Never more than one in 24 hours), split between wine, beer and liquor as the mood fits. Just as a "for reference". According to the World Health Org, the each person over the age of 15 drinks an average of 9 liters per year in the US and the highest is 17 liters per year in one of those Eastern Bloc countries ~ which is 23 bottles of wine. So, you're blowing the bell curve according them them....

Old 06-22-2018, 08:07 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
Well, its really no one's business how much you drink, but I agree with the above post that suggests its the 24 bottles at a time that's getting attention. Not too many folks come away from the store with 2 cases, so it calls attention to itself.
Perhaps preparing a "comeback" remark that refers to the advantage of a "case discount" will stem some commentary.....

Old 06-23-2018, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I think it's a bit over the top..every night. Current "recommendations" are that 1-2 drinks per week and you see health benefits...over that might be detrimental.

Not hounding you, just saying it's more than most drink...making a bottle last two nights would be better for you.
well according to our primary care doctor one or two glasses of wine a night is acceptable and will not hurt us. So, where you are getting 1 to 2 glasses of wine a week I have no idea. I guess it depends on what you read and where.

Brian, we are using averages which most of us realize is pretty meaningless. For the study you show, remember there are many religions that do not allow any drinking of alcohol like Mormans, Muslims, and I believe Buddist as well. Remove them from the studies and the results might be totally different. Oh, also Amish and Menonites do not consume alcohol nor do the Baptists or they are not supposed.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-23-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 12:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Curious of folk’s perspectives. EVERY TIME we go to the wine store, other customers or the cashiers make jokes about the quantity of wine we are buying! We purchase 2 cases (24 bottles) which last us roughly one month. We share a bottle at dinner every night and most nights, finish it. That comes to roughly 2 1/2 glasses each. Do people consider this excessive? I have had the same experience in different States; no matter where we shop, somebody makes a joke about how much we are buying. I realize many people do not drink daily but, did not think it is so rare either to have a couple of drinks daily.
We usually drink about a bottle a night and according to our lab tests, twice a year we are in good shape. The only downfall could be the added calories. Otherwise enjoy your nightly relaxing habit. Many people we know do about the same. They either enjoy a bottle each evening (between 2 that is) or they enjoy a drink or wo at night.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:59 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
cdc.gov.alcohol

Heavy drinking men 15 or more drinks per week
Heavy drinking women 8 or more drinks per week

So some of you posters are considered heavy drinkers

But that's your choice. No negative comments from me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages