U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 01:28 PM

1,192 posts, read 259,805 times

Advertisements

Now that summer is coming let's talk about mixed drink recipes that we like to mix up in large batches to serve to our friends at the picnic. Here are some of mine that I like to feature at cookouts.

Lemon Drink

1/2 Liter Lemon Juice
1 Liter Vodka
A Lot of Sweet and Low

Mix it all together and add 1/4 cup for each 3/4 cup of water. It should get people drunk in a short time.

Flavored Vodka

Hard Candies
Vodka
Sweet and Low

Add hard candies to vodka and let them sit there for a month until dissolved. Bam you have a premium liqueur that can be served to elite audiences.

Nemos / Nutcrackers

Fruit Drink or Punch
Orange Soda
Kool Aid
Vodka
Flavored Vodka
Everclear Rum

Mix it all together and serve it from a large barrel with a tap. Alternately you can freeze it and run it through an ice cream maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 12:29 PM

7,216 posts, read 12,655,064 times
OP, sorry, but those sound really horrible.

Your "Lemon Drink" is 2 parts vodka to 1 part lemon juice with lots of fake sugar?

Why would you need Sweet & Low (ugh) for the flavored vodka if you're using hard candies (which would normally be sweet themselves)?

And the last one ... you're just throwing a bunch of different drinks into a barrel!

And finally ... when I have friends over, I don't have a goal of getting them drunk!

Sorry, I'm just a bit, well, horrified. And I say that as someone who likes mixed drinks.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 AM

1,192 posts, read 259,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, sorry, but those sound really horrible.

Your "Lemon Drink" is 2 parts vodka to 1 part lemon juice with lots of fake sugar?

Why would you need Sweet & Low (ugh) for the flavored vodka if you're using hard candies (which would normally be sweet themselves)?

And the last one ... you're just throwing a bunch of different drinks into a barrel!

And finally ... when I have friends over, I don't have a goal of getting them drunk!

Sorry, I'm just a bit, well, horrified. And I say that as someone who likes mixed drinks.
How are these mixed drinks bad? Most parties I attend contain these drinks especially beach parties, where nemos are served. I don't really get drunk if I just have a half cup of these.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 AM

7,216 posts, read 12,655,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
How are these mixed drinks bad? Most parties I attend contain these drinks especially beach parties, where nemos are served. I don't really get drunk if I just have a half cup of these.
Sorry, they sounded really awful to me for reasons I wrote in my last post.

And you wrote about the lemon drink: "It should get people drunk in a short time." That's why I replied that getting my friends drunk wasn't really a goal of mine. Maybe we throw different kinds of parties! (I am pretty old, that would explain it! )

Old 04-23-2019, 09:27 AM

4,446 posts, read 7,188,883 times
I'm old too Karen, and had the same take-away... these sound like "mixed drinks" you'd expect to find among a younger crowd who have a different perspective. Most want to feel the effects (get buzzed/drunk), and have something easy (usually sickeningly sweet) with which to do it. Doesn't help that tastes evolve with age, I mean that in a literal sense, and more complex things become appealing.

I look at those "drinks" and am instantly reminded of the worst times I was drunk as a young man, and the worst hangovers that went with those drunk experiences. Always something overly sweet, served in bulk.

My wife likes to make cocktails, she has a sense of pride in being able to craft a Lot of different drinks. So at our gatherings, we make drinks per request. Of course, those only happen at our house.... group gatherings "out" (that aren't camping, in which case we gear up for the most common favorites of our friends) tend to not be focused around drinks as we all need to drive home.

Anyway, "best" summer drink? My vote goes for a mojito.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 AM

356 posts, read 83,219 times
I almost vomited just reading the ingredients.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 PM

35,209 posts, read 19,272,053 times
One of the best summertime drinks is gin and tonic with a slice of lime.

Easy, tasty and refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or