U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 AM

750 posts, read 2,502,384 times

Advertisements

We are going to a 6 course morel mushroom dinner in 2 weeks YUM! The place it is held at (the Rowe) is known for its wine cellar.

My dh and I are wine cluless, we know what we like, I guess if I see a local wine I know I could order that.....or would you point out to the waiter what you like and ask him for suggestions? Do you tip them seperately if they have a sommlier? lol I am a beer and margarita gal, we are at a loss as how to order wine and not look like dummies

Any tips and/or suggestions about how to handle the situation would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 08:08 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,060,219 times
I love wine (and margaritas) so here is my advice: Easy rule to remember, white wine with white foods (chicken / fish), red wine with red meat. I don't like a lot of red wines unless they are on the sweeter side. I don't like the "oaky" taste. You will probably like Reisling (it's a white) and a little sweet but not overly so. My favorite wine is Gewurztraminer, it's really good. You can just ask for their suggestion and tell them if either you like sweeter flavors or not. Don't be embarrassed though, even I still ask for the servers suggestion if I go somewhere new. It's fun wine tasting too, if you have a chance to go to a local winery, then do that and you can sample all of their wines.
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,266,703 times
I am jealous -- love Michigan morels!

Definitely do not be afraid to ask for advice or suggestions. They probably will already have suggested wine pairings with each dish. For mushroom heavy dishes, i think reds would be better -- I love cabs and pinot noirs.....

Have fun!!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Definitely ask. Michigan sure has some delicious local wines! I'm salivating in jealousy ...

Old 05-02-2008, 08:48 AM

3,367 posts, read 10,054,677 times
It's hard to say until you know how the mushrooms will be prepared - if it's a cream sauce or a red wine sauce, with white fish or red meat???

A well flavoured white goes with most things - a Sauvignon Blanc is a good bet.

Google 'wine pairings' and see what you can find, like Food & Wine Pairings : Wine and Drinks: Party Ideas: Food Network

But best is to ask advice at the restaurant, and let them know what your budget is! Enjoy!!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks people! How do you go about letting the waiter/sommlier know your budget? point at something on the menu in the same price range?

How about tipping.

One of our fav wines is the Chateu Grand Traverse Late Harvest Reisling...but I guess it would be smart to wait and see how the mushroom are prepared (good point!) and what they suggest

Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,054,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Thanks people! How do you go about letting the waiter/sommlier know your budget? point at something on the menu in the same price range?

How about tipping.

One of our fav wines is the Chateu Grand Traverse Late Harvest Reisling...but I guess it would be smart to wait and see how the mushroom are prepared (good point!) and what they suggest
Why don't you email them with all your questions?

They look like a well-informed bunch, and I bet they wouldn't put on these events unless they were trying to attract novices, and wanting them to have a good time!

I'd just ask them everything you asked here, and hide behind the email for comfort!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:04 AM

Good Idea, I just sent them an e-mail. I will let you know their response.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:11 PM

Heres the reply I received:

Mrs. ,

We will be offering a wine bouquet which is three glasses of wine paired
with the menu for $19.50/person.

I am the person who put the wine list together and can help select a bottle
in any price range, just let me know what range that would be.

You would just tip the waitress on the whole bill.

Do you have a reservation for the Morel dinner? If so, which night so I
make a point of coming to your table and saying hello.

Best Regards,
Kurt VanSumeren

Old 05-06-2008, 02:52 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,492,513 times
For mushrooms I would either go with a Pinot Gris (white) or Pinot Grigio (white) and even a Pinot Noir (red) or Red Zinfandel that would pair nicely....I guess it depends on the other ingredients as well though. If you are not a big wine drinker these options are fairly light........except for the Zin, that tends to me a bit more full bodied. Also the Reisling that was suggested earlier might be a nice selection too.....very light and sweet. Sounds like a great time.........enjoy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages