U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 AM

20,389 posts, read 37,697,685 times

Advertisements

Sometimes wine shops will have tastings, as well, where they'll invite the public and they'll have four wines, say, and teach you a bit about it.

If there's Meetup in your area, that's another good way - there are some Meetup groups that are specifically for the purpose of learning about various wines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 PM

174 posts, read 500,795 times
Thank you everyone for the responses!!! I'm off to start celebrating and I'll keep all the wine advice I got in mind!

Old 07-19-2008, 02:27 PM

58,062 posts, read 40,822,694 times
One more bit of advice, have a designated driver lined up before the celebration starts.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 PM

9,020 posts, read 16,379,393 times
only problem is if you are in latrobe all the wine shops are owned by the state, the selection and storage is mediocre and even though all on the staff have to train on wine they're still not the most knowledeable

I would probably recommend the Allegro Moscato - cheap and sweet

also most reislings tend to be fan favorites of newbies

enjoy your 21st and the world of wine - you're not that far from the finger lakes region in NY where there are tons of wineries to visit - would make a nice weekend trip

also just keep trying wines - find places that offer wines by the glass or tasting flights - great way to learn some labels and figure out what suits your tastes

Old 07-19-2008, 02:35 PM

40,216 posts, read 39,753,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
Today is my 21st birthday and I have decided that I want my first purchase from the liquor store to be wine. I have always wanted to get into the different kinds of wines and what foods they go with so I thought it would be a good idea to make that my first purchase! My problem is that I don't know what to buy!!! Can anyone give me some good ideas for someone who has never really (other than maybe a sip) drank wine and is just starting out? Oh, and please keep in mind that expense is a concern.
White Zinfandel seems to be the "starter" wine. It's definitely on the sweet side.

The reds, I think that a decent Merlot for under 10 bucks is Pepperwood Grove.

Might be a little rough on the palate if you never really drink wines before.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:58 PM

3,796 posts, read 9,703,229 times
Happy 21st! I would suggest something light - like a Pinot Grigio. One of my favorites is made by Kris.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:07 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,029,749 times
To make your first wine experience truly memorable, I'd strongly suggest hitting up your local winery / vineyards.
I love wines but never buy wine from a liquor store, the quality just isn't what you get when you get it from the vineyard.
Good luck and enjoy!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 PM

342 posts, read 1,635,918 times
Wine preferences vary so much by taste, so here's the cheaper-end table wine that I like:

Trader Joe's has a bunch of wine of different prices. Their "two buck chucks" (now $3) aren't bad at all.

Barefoot label wines can often be bought for $6, sometimes 2 for $10 and aren't bad for table wine. Available at most grocery stores. I like their merlot.

Penguin label is also reasonable and I stock up on their Winter Red every winter.

If it's your birthday, why not treat yourself and go to a wine bar and get a flight of wine? You get a sampling of wine and you can choose to get different wine types from the same label (cabernet, merlot, etc), or various labels of the same wine type from the same year, etc (there's a method to the madness). Some wine/liquor stores also have wine tasting events as well for free or a nominal fee. Also check out any local wineries in your area (some give free tours and tastings).

Back in college I would have "wine parties" with some of my close friends, once a month. We would pick a theme (wine type or region, etc), like "merlot" or "Australian wine" etc and everyone would bring one bottle of wine (we would limit the cost to <$15 or something) and some wine-friendly finger food. The host, which we rotated, would prepare something more hearty for food. It was a fun way to explore different wines.

After tasting a bunch of different wines, you'll begin to figure out what you like.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 PM

186,938 posts, read 76,735,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses!!! I'm off to start celebrating and I'll keep all the wine advice I got in mind!
OK. Ya left us hanging. How was the big 21? Wish I could remember mine 40 something ago. Seems like I was really cheap with a bottle blackberry by Manic.... Can't spell it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages