U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 PM

42 posts, read 88,106 times
Default Bourbon Lovers

What do you drink?

My daily drink is Jim Beam fairly cheap and good flavor. If I splurge I go with Pappy Van Winkle's 20 year reserve...if I can find it. I also like Bookers for a good second. If I am making a manhattan I prefer either makers mark or buffalo trace a bit of a sweeter flavor. When I am feeling for something really different I will go with a Sazarc...made with rye whiskey and jim beam makes a pretty good one.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,532,133 times
I'm a long time bourbon fan, and I've tried many. My "daily" pour (which is closer to 2 or 3 a month anymore) is usually Wild Turkey 101 or Elijah Craig 12yo.

The best bourbon I've tried is also a Van Winkle; I have a bottle of the Family Reserve 15 that I save for special evenings. I've heard both sides on the 20; one saying it's a little too old, the others claiming it's the 2nd coming. I can't wait to try it someday.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is another great one in my book; I was very happy after being very disappointed in a Russel's Reserve - gave that one to my dad.

In my opinion you could do a lot better than Jim Beam for a daily; have you tried either Old Forester or Elijah Craig Black? Both are probably cheaper than Beam and blow it away for flavor.

I've also been into rye lately. I heard about a rye that got some spectacular reviews that was also quite cheap - fortunately I wa able to find a bottle and the reviews were spot on; Rittenhouse Rye, Bottled in Bond 100 proof. Wow it's good. That let me to try some other ryes. I didn't care for Old Overholt, but Wild Turkey's rye wa good, and I picked up a Michter's single barrel that's pretty good.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:33 AM

16,542 posts, read 19,145,661 times
We have a Manhattan every night and prefer Maker's Mark, but, alas, it gets a bit pricey. Our current favorite for a cheap substitute is Ancient Age (the older one, dark label). We really like it. To me, Jim Beam has too strong a nutty flavor.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 PM

8,197 posts, read 14,284,669 times
Maker's mark and Woodford Reserve are my bourbons of choice, but I'm perfectly happy drinking the cheap stuff too. I'll have to try Ancient Age.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM

4,999 posts, read 10,594,115 times
Life is too short to drink cheap bourbon!
I used to think Rebel Yell was THE thing. Now...give me Jack Daniel's...or Wild Turkey...or Maker's Mark.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Life is too short to drink cheap bourbon!
I used to think Rebel Yell was THE thing. Now...give me Jack Daniel's...or Wild Turkey...or Maker's Mark.
Jack Daniels isn't bourbon; it's Tennessee Whiskey.

Differences are minor (it's charcoal filtered before bottling, bourbon is not), but still not the same thing.

And if that wasn't enough trivia for you, there are only 2 distilleries that make Tennessee Whiskey; of course Jack Daniels, and the other - George Dickel.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM

42 posts, read 88,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Jack Daniels isn't bourbon; it's Tennessee Whiskey.

Differences are minor (it's charcoal filtered before bottling, bourbon is not), but still not the same thing.

And if that wasn't enough trivia for you, there are only 2 distilleries that make Tennessee Whiskey; of course Jack Daniels, and the other - George Dickel.

Yep to be bourbon has to be made in Kentucky....just like Champagane vs Sparkling Wine. Bourbon makers claim it is the lime stone in the water that gives bourbon its special flavor.

The charcoal filtering of Jack doesn't always agree with me but then again back in 1993 when i was in going through the US Army Airborne School Jack and I had a little disagreement and the Black Hats had fun with for about 24 hours. Never been back :-)

Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder1375 View Post
Yep to be bourbon has to be made in Kentucky....just like Champagane vs Sparkling Wine. Bourbon makers claim it is the lime stone in the water that gives bourbon its special flavor.
Actually, that's not entirely correct either. You can make bourbon in any state, but only Kentucky can make bourbon with "Kentucky" in the name.

There's Smith Bowman's "Virginia Gentleman" bourbon, and there's a distillery in Cincinnati making bourbon called "Woodstone Creek".

But something like 95% of the bourbon made in the US is indeed made in Kentucky. Limestone water makes for strong bones in racehorses and good bourbon. Kentucky's climate (hot summers, cold winters) are also ideal for aging bourbon.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 AM

8,197 posts, read 14,284,669 times
...So if I keep drinking Kentucky bourbon I'll have strong bones?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:10 AM

2,805 posts, read 2,436,909 times
Beam Me Up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages