U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:44 AM

1,072 posts, read 766,556 times

Advertisements

Hey has anyone heard of a "white merlot" and how do they do that ?

BTW
How's that 2 buck chuck from Trader Joes these days. I loved it for a while, even bought a case last summer but it now gives me a headache after like one glass.

I am still a St. Francis fan.
Any Chardonnay for me has to be really really cold and as the hot weather approaches (mini heat wave here in SFValley) I add sliced frozen strawberries yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 11:13 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,670,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATTY CATHY View Post
Hey has anyone heard of a "white merlot" and how do they do that ?
The same way they make White Zin & White Grenache using red grapes, but taking the skin off part-way through the process. The discovery of White Zin was actually an accident.

The following is from an article in the San Francisco Chronicle:

"During the harvest of 1972, I got this idea of how to make Zinfandel richer," recalls Trinchero, 66, who was making blockbuster red Zins from Amador County at the time. "Prior to fermentation, I took free-run juice from the Deaver Vineyard Zinfandel, about 550 gallons, off the grape skins. It left the Deaver wine more concentrated (because of a higher skin-to-juice ratio once some juice had been removed), but now I had 550 gallons of white stuff to deal with. I put it in barrels and wondered what to do with it."

Darrell Corti of Corti Brothers grocers of Sacramento had the solution: Bottle the dry white and he would take half to sell in his store; the Sutter Home tasting room would get the other half.

Corti and Trinchero called the wine "Oeil de Perdrix" -- French for "Eye of the Partridge" -- but the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms said an English translation was required for the label. Trinchero added "White Zinfandel" to Oeil de Perdrix and released the wine in 1973. It was bone-dry, not sweet and not very pink.

There was no Partridge made from the 1973 vintage and the 1974 was of a similar, dry style. Then in 1975, winemaking disaster struck, or, as Trinchero says, stuck. Some 1,000 gallons of bleed-off juice from red Zinfandel refused to ferment to dryness, "sticking" with a substantial amount of sugar left in it. In the heat of harvest, Trinchero put the wine aside.

"Two weeks later, I tasted that wine and it was sweet, had a pink color, and I thought, 'Darn, that's pretty good,' Trinchero says. "We bottled it, and the rest is history."

Happy birthday, White Zinfandel.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:12 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,874,972 times
Thanks for sharing that, Sunshinegirl.
I just saw White Merlot for the first time a couple weeks ago.

A tasty red we had last weekend:
Trapiche
from Argentina
the grape is Malbec

I really like Malbec. It's sort of earthy, rich and dark--yet smooth, not too tannic.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:27 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,223,342 times
I've always loved wine too and that's the only alcohol beverage I will drink these days (besides wine coolers and rarely a Corona). I like white Chardonnay and Zinfandel the best.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,394,347 times
I'll add to the recommendation for Folie A Deux (Menage a Trois -blend of cab, zin, and merlot-yummy-around $8) and Hess (Select - around $14, and Collection for higher end-around $40).
I've been on a mission to find my "perfect" white for several years now, and I've finally found it. Trader Joes Honeymoon Voigner. Smells like a reisling, no oak, but isn't sweet or cloying. Peach, acricot, mango. Love it! I'm trying no more since I've finally found what I was searching for.
Love the chilean Cabs too. Some have a hint of mint and/or chocolate. Trader Joes has these chocolate mints that go just fine with those reds. LOL

Old 06-18-2007, 01:20 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,874,972 times
Anyone tried Fifth Leg wines? In Denver I could find the whites, but not the reds. Here it is the opposite. They are Aussie wines.

Another wine that I enjoyed quite a bit was Sobon "Old Vines" Zinfandel. I know the "old vines" thing sounds like a bit of a gimmick, but this wine was absolutely delicious. I might have already posted about this wine before.

Karla, I think I had that Folie a Deux at someone's house, and enjoyed it.
I have tried a few different Viogniers too, they are interesting and can certainly vary from bottle to bottle.
It's too bad we don't have a Trader Joe's here, but I am glad that now I am at least located in a town with a better wine selection.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:45 PM

13,905 posts, read 2,987,320 times
A good White Zinfandel or Blackberry Merlot get my vote

Old 06-18-2007, 03:01 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,886,758 times
It's funny I was thinking of posting my latest find, but forgot, and now we've revived the thread

Thanks for all the new info.

I found a great Italian: Masi (Modello delle Venezie) 2004. A great smooth red that just glides down one's throat; $9.98 at the Co-op.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 PM

738 posts, read 642,013 times
I like Chalk Hill Chardonnay. For Napa Cab's look for wines from the 2001 vintage. They'll be the best. 2002 was also good, as was 1994 and 1995. I'm more of an Italian red wine drinker. I love the big Barolo's, Barbaresco's and Chianti's.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,886,758 times
New town, new wine shoppe, and new wines:

Here's one that suits my palette:

Nero D'avola (Sicilia), 2005, red (Feudo Arancio) < $12.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages