Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is EXACTLY how I feel.
Give me Glenlivet straight up with a piece of ice.

The tequila is what makes a margarita taste good. I go heavy on the tequila in that drink to really make the flavors dance. By itself...meh.

The gin is what makes the gin and tonic. Do I like gin straight? Not really...but the flavor is really enhanced by the tonic. I like tonic water anyway. But add gin to it, and it's delightful.
We just got Glenlivet on sale yesterday, hubby is in 7th heaven. He only gets the good stuff when it is on sale, otherwise he is happy with JW Red.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Alcohol & Alcohol in liquor... like grease & butter... or that oil (general) & olive oil....
I think is very different and should not be linked together in taste.

Alcohol... that sounds like rubbing alcohol, to me will not have a very pleasant taste.
Now... alcohol from fermentation to make liquors will be different. The taste is infused & made to taste what they are supposed to be (whiskey, rice wine, wine, absinthe, beer whatever).

Even when it comes to liquors... while I make not like "most" beers... I like most wines.
I may not like the taste of brandy especially if it tasted like cough medicines... I love my JB, Jackie D, Johhny W, Wild Turkey....

Like food. Liquors' species", the "specialities", the differences is just too much & varied....
While one wine may be great with one food... it will not taste right with another.

That is all... just like everyone is different, so are our taste.
But... do drink carefully for all human species all do get drunk... the tolerance just different.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,207 times
Agreed; alcohol tastes like sh**! Unless you sugar it down. But by then, I'm better off drinking soda.

On the other hand, I think most people drink it because they like how it kills your thinking cells. My husband hates his job, so he drowns himself in vodka so he doesn't have to think about his day all night, and then think about that he has to go back tomorrow. But he'll admit, it tastes like crap.

We both, however, do like some beers. I'm a fan of beers like Samuel Adams or XX, while he loves German beers. Although again, he drinks them for the effect, more than the taste. I personally, also, can't stand the control and feeling alcohol has over my mind and body, so I tend to avoid them at all costs. I feel like crap drinking alcohol, then I feel like crap when I'm done drinking, so really, it all must be crap. :-)

Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 PM

221 posts, read 282,808 times
I love the taste of higher quality beers. Higher quality does not equal MGD, Coors, Bud Light, Pabst. I mostly stick to local microbeers.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
I like it for the taste, I only drink to get drunk occasionally. Often I'll enjoy a single glass of scotch in the evenings, a glass of wine with dinner, or a beer on a hot day. I'm not doing that to get plastered, I drink it because I've developed a taste for alcohol and genuinely enjoy it.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Yeah, I think people that claim others only drink to get drunk have a problem with alcohol themselves. There are plenty of people, most probably, who drink because they like the taste, or it helps them relax, or a multitude of other reasons. Suspecting others of drinking only to get drunk reflects upon your own personal issues with alcohol, me thinks.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
The only thing I like is red wine mainly pinot noir.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,213,755 times
Anyone tried Black Box wine? The Sauvignon Blanc is very good.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I live in California wine country and me and my friends love to go wine tasting. Most of the time, the wine gets spit out... I really just like the taste of wine

I also live around some amazing microbreweries and love to go have a few beers around town. I rarely get drunk anymore, but I do genuinely like the taste of alcohol.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:26 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Nope! I do not believe alcohol taste necessarily good. All Beer taste the same (clearly I'm not a beer drinker or fan) You have the fruity drinks which are descent every bluemoon. I prefer Burbon or Rum; many have great aromas contributing to the taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages