Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:17 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
You mean Scottish ale? Tis much better than the English stuff we're renowned for it. Not to mention our whisky, which is again best in the world. You have no idea the amount that is exported, Japan, China, America, Canada, Spain are just some.

Yes i've been to America many times and your beer is not as good as what is produced in Germany. Wheat beers are the best. God bless Germany!

Though im lucky to have travelled extensively and tried out many different beers
Teachers is by far my favourite Scotch
I am gonna tout Paddy as the best whiskey though, id take a shot of that over anything.
Gonna have to agree on a Scottish Ale being better than an English too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Sam Adams.....any old day..... without a doubt.... you can just hand over a variety pack..... thanks...

Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
You mean Scottish ale? Tis much better than the English stuff we're renowned for it.
I like Scottish Ale, but it can't touch the best of English brews.

Quote:
Yes i've been to America many times and your beer is not as good as what is produced in Germany. Wheat beers are the best.
What American beers have you had? I would agree 100% if what you tried was the popular swill like Bud, Miller etc. As far as German beers go, I like Becks but most of the rest I have tried were respectable but nothing great, to be honest.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM

German beers are by far better than American beers in genearl bill. Beer in Germany is a tad bit sheltered (not sure if thats the word I want to use) due to the German "Reinheitsgebot" or Purity Order I think it is in English. If you want to try a good German beer try Erdinger (all of em!), Hirschbrau Hefe Weizen to name a couple. Its pretty hard to get them over here.

America has had a horrible reputation worldwide when it comes to beer, at least with people who actually appreciate a "real" beer. With the big increase in Micro Brew that is changing though. Id say American beer overall is excellent now (if you dont count the usual suspects). Arrogant Bastard is a big favourite of mine now and there are also some excellent Meaderies.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
I like Scottish Ale, but it can't touch the best of English brews.

What American beers have you had? I would agree 100% if what you tried was the popular swill like Bud, Miller etc. As far as German beers go, I like Becks but most of the rest I have tried were respectable but nothing great, to be honest.
Beck's is the Budweiser of Germany.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
German beers are by far better than American beers in genearl bill.
That's such a broad statement that I don't think it's valid to agree or disagree, esp given how there is such an incredible wide variety of not just brands, but types and quality of American beers. For some I'm sure it's true; some not. Again American beer is MUCH more than the common brands people often associate with "American beer." It's highly questionable at the very least.

Quote:
Beer in Germany is a tad bit sheltered (not sure if thats the word I want to use) due to the German "Reinheitsgebot" or Purity Order I think it is in English.
Yeah familiar w/that - I thought some had deviated from it though -

Quote:
If you want to try a good German beer try Erdinger (all of em!), Hirschbrau Hefe Weizen to name a couple. Its pretty hard to get them over here.
Keep in mind thanks (although I'm not a big Hefewiezen fan).

Quote:
America has had a horrible reputation worldwide when it comes to beer, at least with people who actually appreciate a "real" beer.
....and who have either a closed mind or very limited knowledge of American beers, or both. I'm no American beer fan or shill, but phooey on that silliness.

Quote:
With the big increase in Micro Brew that is changing though. Id say American beer overall is excellent now (if you dont count the usual suspects). Arrogant Bastard is a big favourite of mine now and there are also some excellent Meaderies.
I have mixed feelings on that for reasons I explained initially....ie depends on what you're talking about.

As for the Becks cheap shot, phooey on that too. My samplings of German beer are admittedly limited, but I'll take it over stuff like Bitberger, Paulaner, Warsteiner etc.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
Magic Hat No. 9 (delicious...I suggest everyone try it. They call it "not quite pale ale")
Guiness
Abita's Amber
Bass
Sierra Nevada (think it was the anniversary ale, but like them all)
Sam Adams Summer

Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Magic Hat No. 9 (delicious...I suggest everyone try it. They call it "not quite pale ale")
Yep, tried it at a "beerfest" and like it - don't care for their other beers though.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
That's such a broad statement that I don't think it's valid to agree or disagree, esp given how there is such an incredible wide variety of not just brands, but types and quality of American beers. For some I'm sure it's true; some not. Again American beer is MUCH more than the common brands people often associate with "American beer." It's highly questionable at the very least.

Yeah familiar w/that - I thought some had deviated from it though -

Keep in mind thanks (although I'm not a big Hefewiezen fan).

....and who have either a closed mind or very limited knowledge of American beers, or both. I'm no American beer fan or shill, but phooey on that silliness.

I have mixed feelings on that for reasons I explained initially....ie depends on what you're talking about.

As for the Becks cheap shot, phooey on that too. My samplings of German beer are admittedly limited, but I'll take it over stuff like Bitberger, Paulaner, Warsteiner etc.
Oh man I love my Hefe. I love the fruity and sour. Its defiantely not for everybody.
German beer being better than American beer is a broad statement, it kind of has to be there is no other way about it. If you were to measure up beer vs beer no doubt some American beer's would be better.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Arrogant Bastard is a big favourite of mine now and there are also some excellent Meaderies.
So that is good? I've been toying with buying some the last 5 or 10 times I was at the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages