Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

This might appear a strange thread topic, but I have always been curious about this...

Does anyone know if they still make Jax beer? I haven't seen it in ages.

As I recall, it was brewed in New Orleans and at one time (late 50's,
early 60's) was the largest selling beer in many parts of the South, including my own area of North Texas. Outselling even Bud. Some lifelong friends of my folks once owned a distributing company (Miller High Life) and the guy told me this. I found it a bit hard to believe, but I guess he knew what he was talking about.

Anyway, I remember it being widely available in my neck of the woods during the early 70's...but it just seemed to have faded from existence. At least around here.

Does anybody know if it still exists...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
... Does anyone know if they still make Jax beer? I haven't seen it in ages ...
I dunno, but here are a couple of clues. Seems the last it was heard from was when it was purchased by Pearl Brewing. You know, I haven't seen a Pearl for a long time too

Metro Jacksonville - Jax Beer: The Drink of Friendship

City-Data Forum - Gone but not forgotten in San Antonio!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I dunno, but here are a couple of clues. Seems the last it was heard from was when it was purchased by Pearl Brewing. You know, I haven't seen a Pearl for a long time too

Metro Jacksonville - Jax Beer: The Drink of Friendship

City-Data Forum - Gone but not forgotten in San Antonio!
Thanks for those links, QW. You are right...Pearl is another I haven't heard much about in quite a while. And in Texas, Falstaff too.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
Hard to believe that Pearl and Lone Star are still on the market, but they continue to hang on.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Thumbs up Lone star...

Whenever we go to Texas to our friends in Harper..I always stock up on Lone Star Light...love the stuff...lite, not to hoppy, no headache and just right...

I miss the Hawaiian beer also..Primo....Falstaff..

Winter...: Negro Modelo, or Tecate...with lime/lemon..

Summer: Coors light or Lone Star Light...

glad we are heading to summer...

HW

Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 63,292 times
Default reg: Jax Beerw

Quote:
This might appear a strange thread topic, but I have always been curious about this...

early 60's) was the largest selling beer in many parts of the South, including my own area of North Texas. Outselling even Bud. Some lifelong friends of my folks once owned a distributing company (Miller High Life) and the guy told me this. I found it a bit hard to believe, but I guess he knew what he was talking about.

Anyway, I remember it being widely available in my neck of the woods during the early 70's...but it just seemed to have faded from existence. At least around here.

it was my family"s beer. don't know what year they astopped making it. my great granparents were from germany( the feubacher"s) but i remember it as a little girl.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 63,292 times
Default Jax Beer

it was my family's beer. i don't know when they stopped making it. i'm guessing sometime in the early 70's or late 60's as i remember it as a little girl. my great granparents owned it. it was from the feubacher's.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdrinker View Post
it was my family's beer. i don't know when they stopped making it. i'm guessing sometime in the early 70's or late 60's as i remember it as a little girl. my great granparents owned it. it was from the feubacher's.
Yes, Jax Brewery was in Jacksonville, Florida until the 50s, then rights to Jax were sold to Jackson Brewery in Now Orleans, where Jax was brewed until they went into bankruptcy in the 70s. Then in 1976 the rights were sold to Pearl Brewing, in San Antonio. By the 80s the Jax brewery building in N.O. was converted into shops and apartments. And in the 80s Pearl was swept up into the Pabst expansion and subsequent collapse. Today Pearl is produced under contract at a Miller's brewery in Ft. Worth, the original Pearl Brewery in San Antonio has now been converted into shops and apartments, and after a few fits of trying to bring the Jax brand back, it seems to have disappeared from the market for good.

Many, many fine old regional breweries disappeared as the marketing muscle of the giants and economies of enormous production and distribution facilities funneled so much of the market into the hands of just a couple of behemoth companies.

But with craft brewing coming on so strong now, I wonder if somebody might resurrect the brand someday? Seems to me that Jimmy Buffet's Landshark Lager, brewed in Jacksonville Florida, might have some interest. Stranger things have happened.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 30,562 times
Default jax beer

Quote:

The brewery closed in 1974. My father worked there. I remember as a kid we would go down there to visit my dad and we would each have our own cup of ice cold beer. The good old days. Thank goodness for the wonderful memories.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 30,504 times
Lol. I said how jax had closed in 1974 because my father worked there til they closed. The fabacher family was the downfall of the brewery. Greed came with them when they got involved. My father also worked at Falstaff til they closed their doors also. He got the absolute last can that came off the line. The brewery building has been converted to condos. They just recently redid the lighting on the tower that sits on top of the building
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages