U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM

21,852 posts, read 23,091,654 times

Advertisements

Another Barefoot fan here (big bottle for $8 at Costco!). Also don't mind Yellowtail. I am more of a Merlot/Cabernet drinker....for a treat I will splurge on a bottle of Liberty School (Cabernet). I can get it at Costco for $10....

ETA - tried the two buck Chuck - not a fan....ETA - I have heard really good things though. We don't have a Trader Joe's around here. Someone brought me some from Calif. I wonder if it just didn't travel well...?

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-24-2009 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM

563 posts, read 2,319,978 times
I am more of a red fan so my recommendations are for them

OF the wines mentioned, I will give my recommendations and support to Trader Joes wines. "2 Buck Chuck" (actually 3.50 chuck in NYC) is a good wine with lots of different varieties. I like the Reds. Trader Joes also has a lot of other wines that are 5 bucks and under so I usually just buy a few at random and hope for the best. Most have been good.

ALso mentioned was Crane Lake. This IMO is a real good wine. Cheap too on sale at about 4.50 a bottle. (750 ml regular wine bottle size). I only found it in one supermarket in Florida and have not seen it in NY yet, although I did talk to the rep when he was checking inventory and he told me it is national and should be in the area.

Some wines not mentioned that I think are real good are BV Cellars: they make a Cabernet and Merlot and cost about 10 bucks for a 1.5 L bottle.

Stone Cellars by Beringer I believe. Same price as BV.

I also like Mirrasou wines (spelling ); yellow label with like a sun on the logo.

Australian wines; Banrock station; Shiraz is a good one. 4.99 a bottle and Walmart carries it around my area. (although supermarkets sometimes have cheaper deals)

Enjoy!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM

648 posts, read 2,678,488 times
thanks everyone, i'm making a list! the $15 is my limit and that's a splurge....i don't drink wine very often because the cheaper bottles i've tried were just yucky! i'm trying to find out if i've just not had good wine! lol! so, that's why i'm asking for recommendations i appreciate all the lower priced suggestions.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 PM

348 posts, read 1,101,492 times
Great thread!

After reviewing the suggestions in this thread, I purchased Barefoot's Chardonnay for 6.49 and had it with dinner tonight and it's great!

I usually purchase within a $15-30 price range (ex. Cakebread, Sonoma Cutrer) but was very surprised when I had Barefoot.

I also purchased a bottle of cabernet and sauvignon and can't wait to try them.

Cheers!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 AM

1,041 posts, read 4,029,980 times
I really like menage trois wines. A guest at the hotel I work at brought a TON of bottles with them and then of course could not finish it all, and that is where it began. Interestingly enough, when I visited my family on the mainland, they started to tell me how much they love menage trois and served it to me! I guess it runs in the family...

I get it at Costco or Walmart.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:46 PM

812 posts, read 2,113,278 times
nobody liked my riunite with the convenient screwoff cap suggestion. i like it fresh as it tastes more like kool-aid rather than the ones that have been sitting in the stores aging with increased alcohol fermentation.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 PM

6,651 posts, read 18,628,893 times
Was in the grocery/liquor business for a long time. Am not a pro when it comes to wine but did notice a good wine the year after a drought period. The year folowing a drought period produced a smaller crop with smaller grapes that were more concentrated juice wise and made a better tasting wine with a memorable bouquet.

Like I said...not a pro only a observation. Steve

Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,451,325 times
Trader Joe's Coastal Merlot and Chardonnay @$3.99 a bottle!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 AM

1,169 posts, read 3,393,598 times
Hess Select - Cabernet - around 14 at Bevmo
Menage a Trois - red blend, cab and zin I think, usually around 7-8 on sale
BV Coastal cab or merlot is ok - 7-8 on sale
Trader Joes 2 buck chuck - sauvignon blanc white is good for 1.99
Trader Joes has several Italian Pinot Grigios at 3-5 that are good.
If you don't like dry wine try a Voignier if you haven't already. Trader Joes has several in the 4-8 range. Some sweeter than others. Kind of between a riesling and a dryer white on the sweet scale. I don't like sweet wines at all, but those are usually good

Old 03-30-2009, 11:34 AM

1,169 posts, read 3,393,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I really like menage trois wines. A guest at the hotel I work at brought a TON of bottles with them and then of course could not finish it all, and that is where it began. Interestingly enough, when I visited my family on the mainland, they started to tell me how much they love menage trois and served it to me! I guess it runs in the family...

I get it at Costco or Walmart.
Love the red blend. Good value, and not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages