Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,220,196 times

Advertisements

When my daughter and I were in England and Scotland on an educational tour, I went on my own mini "whiskey tour". At every place we stopped, I'd go to the hotel bar or close-by pub and ask the bartender, "If you could drink any Single Malt Scotch in the place, which would it be?" and order one. Then, when we were in Edinburgh, I went to the whiskey museum there. I discovered a whole world of single malts that I'd never tasted - unfortunately, can't get most of them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,149,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There's a few high-end liquor places around here that I may have to do some browsing at, I really appreciate the suggestions! It's mind boggling how many types of whiskey there are, sort of like wine (what I usually drink). This might be a long day....
One thing you might want to consider is if they like their whiskey smooth and light or "hard".

Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM

2,870 posts, read 3,362,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'm having a few good friends over tomorrow night for a little BBQ and a couple of them drink good whiskey
See if you have a specialty liquor store in town, you most likely do... in Texas, Majestic is the place to go... but when you get there, tell the MAN that you are looking for a good whiskey for not so much green back... (be sure not to ask the 'boy' behind the counter - also, not to be sexist, but it is usually a MAN working the store, however, if there is a WOMAN (not girl!) on hand, she may have the answers you seek as well - besides, I'm allowed this little sexist remark because I'm a woman! )

Ask if they have any specialty imports from Scotland... Like GLENMORANGIE or DRUMGUISH or BENROMACH... they are usually found in most good liquor stores and don't cost an arm and a leg!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:40 PM

893 posts, read 1,575,040 times
Make sure your guest like Scotch if thats what you are getting. I personally prefer Scotch over Bourbon, while some may not like the distinct taste of Scotch. A good Bourbon that I do like is Makers Mark.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,225,071 times
My husband will only drink Johnny Walker Black or Blue as far as Scotch and in the winter Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Cognac.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2cme View Post
but when you get there, tell the MAN that you are looking for a good whiskey for not so much green back... (be sure not to ask the 'boy' behind the counter - also, not to be sexist, but it is usually a MAN working the store, however, if there is a WOMAN (not girl!) on hand, she may have the answers you seek as well - besides, I'm allowed this little sexist remark because I'm a woman! )
Not all men drink harsh tasting whiskeys. Some of us know fine whiskey as well. I strongly prefer the lighter stuff, but can settle for something like Jack Daniel's if it's lying around.

Whiskeys are just an alternative for me though. I'm a rum guy.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Not all men drink harsh tasting whiskeys. Some of us know fine whiskey as well.
Oh yes, I am well aware of this,,, I too (a woman) am not a frequent drinker of the hard stuff... nor am I a frequent drinker! BUT I am fascinated at the process and am intrigued by the many varied results!

Did you know that Stout is the product of last process of the Barley Whiskey Distilling Process before it becomes Whiskey?!!? Incredible! And I LOVE stout, McKesson is my favorite!!! (this is my drink of choice, a good stout every time!)

The age, the history, the passion that goes into making every batch is amazing to me! So, I appreciate all there is about it and I appreciate it when others have come to appreciate it! hahaha!

Not that all alcohols don't have interesting ways its made,,, wine is awesome to observe, so is rum and even beer - oh, and you gotta love good old moonshine!

But it seems that Whiskey has the most complex, downright scientific process that can produce the most varied results...

Even what the whiskey is stored in makes a difference... if used red wine oak barrels from France are used (which is what Oban Whiskey uses) it gives it a different flare than the new oak barrels made in Germany. Then there are some that don't store their brews in oak barrels or use barrels at all!!!

All the little differences truly give a completely different taste!

Sorry, WOW! I could go on for days!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,245,303 times
Jack Daniels Single Barrel- (Tennessee Whiskey) - Friend of my husband who works for a liquor distributor bought him some of this for his birthday. It was smooth and we really did like it. It should be in your price range.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 PM

[quote=x2cme;8095874]Oh yes, I am well aware of this,,, I too (a woman) am not a frequent drinker of the hard stuff... nor am I a frequent drinker! BUT I am fascinated at the process and am intrigued by the many varied results!

Did you know that Stout is the product of last process of the Barley Whiskey Distilling Process before it becomes Whiskey?!!? Incredible! And I LOVE stout, McKesson is my favorite!!! (this is my drink of choice, a good stout every time!)

The age, the history, the passion that goes into making every batch is amazing to me! So, I appreciate all there is about it and I appreciate it when others have come to appreciate it! hahaha!

Not that all alcohols don't have interesting ways its made,,, wine is awesome to observe, so is rum and even beer - oh, and you gotta love good old moonshine!

But it seems that Whiskey has the most complex, downright scientific process that can produce the most varied results...

Even what the whiskey is stored in makes a difference... if used red wine oak barrels from France are used (which is what Oban Whiskey uses) it gives it a different flare than the new oak barrels made in Germany. Then there are some that don't store their brews in oak barrels or use barre

Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM

Absolutely,,, RUM is incredible too! No Doubt About That!!!

Although most people think Rum is only from the Caribbean Islands,,, but this is not true, not true at all....

Argentina, Belgium, Russia, and even India and the US produce amazing Rums too... (that is of course a very small sample... there is hardly a corner on the planet that doesn't make some sort of Rum!)

And don't even get me started over the Flavored Rums... Austria's Stroh is fantastic! (Vodka has started making 'Flavored' mixes in recent years - oooh, Vodka, that's gotta be another thread, just like the Rum!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages