U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:37 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,287,199 times

Advertisements

I'm having a few good friends over tomorrow night for a little BBQ and a couple of them drink good whiskey but I just checked my bar and I'm nearly out! I'm not much of a whiskey drinker but I almost always keep a bottle of Crown Royal on hand for certain occasions. Since I don't know much about whiskey besides the numerous types (Scotch, Bourbon, Blended, Irish, Canadian, etc), I'm wandering if someone could point me to a mid-priced (between $30-$50/ bottle) whiskey that my friends would enjoy. I normally give them Crown Royal but they might enjoy something else. I've heard Chivas Regal is good and is fairly inexpensive? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:45 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,265,088 times
Are you only looking for a specific kind (Bourbon, Rye, Tennessee, Canadian, Irish, Scotch, etc) or just any really good whiskey?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 AM

20,421 posts, read 37,822,098 times
Glenlivet Nadurra. A bit over your $50 limit (about $58 at Twin Liquors here in Austin), but well worth it (and at cask strength, they won't drink as much, a little goes a LONG way, so it'll go further!).

Old 03-29-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Are you only looking for a specific kind (Bourbon, Rye, Tennessee, Canadian, Irish, Scotch, etc) or just any really good whiskey?
Any good whiskey, I don't really know many of the differences between the types of whiskey, I just want something that I think they'd enjoy.

Quote:
Glenlivet Nadurra. A bit over your $50 limit (about $58 at Twin Liquors here in Austin), but well worth it (and at cask strength, they won't drink as much, a little goes a LONG way, so it'll go further!).
I'll have to look into that, I haven't ever heard of that brand!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,684,570 times
You named quite a few of the best there is. Seagrams Crown Royal is the best whiskey.

There are different other brands of hard stuff out there...some you never new existed.

I was introduced to Drambuie once on the rocks and love it. I don't look for quantity as much as I'm for QUALITY. Very good after dinner drink...smooth going down and a taste slowly coming back up the throat. Very nice on the palate.

Your in Ariz. so check out a liquor store that caters to a higher clientile and they would have a good selection in the range your interested in. I was in the Grocery/Liquor field for 23 yrs and have seen some nice stuff on the mkt that was sold to upper affluent people. Thats where to check.

If you want a RUM...try Bacardi Anejo (aged) (best in Mexico) with coca cola and some lime juice...I know as I'm retired here over 12 yrs.

Good luck on the BBQ. Steve

Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 PM

I'll just give some good whiskeys by category.

Bourbon-Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve, Four Roses Single Barrel, Blanton's The Original Single Barrel, and Jim Beam Black 8-year.
Rye-Jim Beam (ri)1 Rye, Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve Rye.
Irish-Irishman The Original Clan, The Irishman Single Malt, Bushmills Black Bush.
Scotch-Laphroaig 10 Year Old Islay Single Malt, Johnnie Walker Black Label.
Canadian-Wiser's Very Old, Canadian Club Sherry Cask.

There are many fine whiskeys, but I'm just listing ones I or my friends have tried. All the ones I've listed are between $20 and $52.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You named quite a few of the best there is. Seagrams Crown Royal is the best whiskey.

There are different other brands of hard stuff out there...some you never new existed.

I was introduced to Drambuie once on the rocks and love it. I don't look for quantity as much as I'm for QUALITY. Very good after dinner drink...smooth going down and a taste slowly coming back up the throat. Very nice on the palate.

Your in Ariz. so check out a liquor store that caters to a higher clientile and they would have a good selection in the range your interested in. I was in the Grocery/Liquor field for 23 yrs and have seen some nice stuff on the mkt that was sold to upper affluent people. Thats where to check.

If you want a RUM...try Bacardi Anejo (aged) (best in Mexico) with coca cola and some lime juice...I know as I'm retired here over 12 yrs.

Good luck on the BBQ. Steve
I forgot about Drambuie. It is nice as well.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:15 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,071 posts, read 1,833,114 times
My 2 choices will be - #1 Single malt distilled at The BALVENIE SINGLE BARREL malt scotch whisky from a single cask AGED 15 years #2 Glenfiddich single malt scotch whisky 15 years old. Both are in your price range about $35 - $40 in my area Bottle King.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:21 PM

2,869 posts, read 3,137,071 times
Cool Now UR Talk'n My Language!!!

You've struck a cord with the hard stuff....

Looks like you've already been informed, there isn't just a 'whiskey' -- alcohol is far more serious than that!

From the Wonderful World of Wisdoms in Wikipedia...

Whisky or whiskey refers to a broad category of alcoholic beverages that are distilled from fermented grain mash and aged in wooden casks (generally oak). Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (corn).
With few exceptions, the spelling is always Scotch, Canadian, and Japanese whisky (plural: whiskies), but Irish and American whiskey (whiskeys).

They are not all the same, they are all far from tasting the same... heck in India, the whiskey, which is made from molasses, tastes more like Rum!

Then of course there are some you can add ice to and some you don't, wouldn't, and would rather sin against your mother before contaminating it!!!

The chemistries of all Whiskey's are very different... as are the ingredients... heck, even if there are two distillers in the same country making it the same way, the batches won't come out the same... WHY? The source of water is likely different, and even something as simple as the H2O can drastically change the taste and consistency of a brew!

You realllly gotta go on some Whiskey Tours... give a bunch a try, see the process, smell the mash, taste the warmth!!! You'll never be the same again!!!

If you want to start with a tour in the US,,, then go on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail ... they go to many of the heavy hitters in the US, like Wild Turkey, Makers Mark, Jim Bean, and Four Roses.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM

There's a few high-end liquor places around here that I may have to do some browsing at, I really appreciate the suggestions! It's mind boggling how many types of whiskey there are, sort of like wine (what I usually drink). This might be a long day....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages