Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 02:33 PM

472 posts, read 739,643 times

Advertisements

The Joys of Irish Whiskey | Quazen (http://quazen.com/recreation/food/the-joys-of-irish-whiskey/ - broken link)

Quality whiskey is among life’s true pleasures, and in the world of whiskey, the Irish continue to do it best...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:35 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
I hope my ancestors and heritage forgive me, but I don't care for the stuff.

About the only way I can drink it is in coffee.

Now bourbon and Rye on the other hand; that's my kind of whiskey.

I actually got into bourbon after trying (without much success) to gain a better appreciation of scotch. I was reading Michael Jackson's guide to single malts and read a section about Glenmorangie actually owning some Appalacian forrest land where they sourced the white oak needed for their barrels.

See, bourbon, by law, has to be aged in brand new, charred, white oak barrels. They can only be used once.

Scotch, on the other hand - you'd never put that in a new barrel, it would pick up too much wood flavor - they need used bourbon/sherry barrels. So Glenmorangie makes these barrels - donates them to Heaven Hill, and once they're empty of bourbon they're shipped over to Scotland.

I thought that was fascinating, so I wanted to try some of Heaven Hill's bourbons. Thay make a premium one called Elijah Craig that I liked a lot, and that was my introduction to premium bourbons. I've since found others I like even more, found out I generally liked rye heavy bourbon, so that led me to Rye.

My dad gave me a bottle of Bushmill's single malt a few years back, I just can't get into it.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,141,675 times
I do love my Irish coffee! Lots of whipped cream~yumm!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Interesting read on the link. I actually have both Bushmills and Jameson in my house, (I like an occasional coke and whiskey). I actually think that Jameson's is a little smoother, but, I'll use either one. My husband had fond memories of his grandfather, (last name of Lynch), drinking Bushmills. I also make a really good recipe, (usually around St. Patrick's Day), called Irish Bananas, which calls for Irish whiskey. My daughter gave it to me, and it is great! As far as my coffee is concerned, nothing's better than Bailey's. And, my son loves Irish Car Bombs, though I've never tried them. You have to drink those fast, and I prefer to sip, and savor, my drinks.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I'm a sipper and I think Jamesons is a bit smoother but Bushmills will do. Just add a cube or too.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Interesting read on the link. I actually have both Bushmills and Jameson in my house, (I like an occasional coke and whiskey). I actually think that Jameson's is a little smoother, but, I'll use either one. My husband had fond memories of his grandfather, (last name of Lynch), drinking Bushmills. I also make a really good recipe, (usually around St. Patrick's Day), called Irish Bananas, which calls for Irish whiskey. My daughter gave it to me, and it is great! As far as my coffee is concerned, nothing's better than Bailey's. And, my son loves Irish Car Bombs, though I've never tried them. You have to drink those fast, and I prefer to sip, and savor, my drinks.
Please share the recipe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages