U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,391,080 times

Advertisements

I'm a 33 year old guy who lives in the midwest. All my life my friends have been drinking the ever so typical beers; Bud, Miller, Coors, and all that. I have never liked that so I always stuck to Rum & Coke and things like that. Well about 10 years ago an old neighbor guy (who is from Scotland) let me try some different kinds of beers that I knew nothing about. I really liked them! Over the years I got back into Beer, but it's always been stuff like Guiness, Becks, Heineken, Red Stripe etc. Every time I'm at a party or something people say alot of things about what I drink, they even call me names and make fun of me as they chug their watered down Bud and Natural Ice.
I really don't understand the mentality of American Beer drinkers. I never say anything negative about their beer other than I don't like it. It's not really a big deal so I like the higher end beer, so?
To me it seems to be stronger as well and I don't have to drink a 12 pack, usually after 3-4 I'm doing good. Obviously the foreign beers are higher in alcohol.
Not all the beers I like are foreign, I like Leinenkugels and even Amber Bock, those are American. But seems if it's not a bud or miller I get alot of flack. Why does this have to be such a war?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,935,359 times
To me, Bud and Miller = ****. They are starter beers. Some people dont move on. I consider myself a beer snob. I like beer with flavor. I dont drink to get wasted so I am not concerned about price (I dont remember the last time I had more than 2 beers in one sitting). Drink what you like. If you like "****" then drink it. If you like "snobby" then drink it. Its your taste buds not mine.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:30 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,135,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I'm a 33 year old guy who lives in the midwest. All my life my friends have been drinking the ever so typical beers; Bud, Miller, Coors, and all that. I have never liked that so I always stuck to Rum & Coke and things like that. Well about 10 years ago an old neighbor guy (who is from Scotland) let me try some different kinds of beers that I knew nothing about. I really liked them! Over the years I got back into Beer, but it's always been stuff like Guiness, Becks, Heineken, Red Stripe etc. Every time I'm at a party or something people say alot of things about what I drink, they even call me names and make fun of me as they chug their watered down Bud and Natural Ice.
I really don't understand the mentality of American Beer drinkers. I never say anything negative about their beer other than I don't like it. It's not really a big deal so I like the higher end beer, so?
To me it seems to be stronger as well and I don't have to drink a 12 pack, usually after 3-4 I'm doing good. Obviously the foreign beers are higher in alcohol.
Not all the beers I like are foreign, I like Leinenkugels and even Amber Bock, those are American. But seems if it's not a bud or miller I get alot of flack. Why does this have to be such a war?
This speaks more about the people you hang out with, than the tastes of all American beer drinkers.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,077,687 times
I grew up in an area in PA where the exact same thing would have happened to anyone who drank something besides Bud, Yuengling, Genesee, Iron City, etc. I think it is more of a small town mentality (I am assuming small town since your location is named Nothingville).

John Cougar Mellencamp was full of crap. You can only be who you want in a small town if everyone else accepts it.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,575,324 times
I also like "good" beer - mostly pale ales, but also pilsners, stouts, and other varieties. While many of the pale ales I like are a bit stronger than the average American-style brew, it might surprise you to know that some imports, such as Guinness draught, for example, have less alcohol than Bud or even Coors Light. (There's an informative chart here: Realbeer.com: Beer Alcohol Content And Carbs In Beer)

The reason American beers taste so light is not so much that they're lacking in alcohol as that they're lacking in hops, and they don't generally use the carmelized malts that impart so much flavor to the darker beers. American-style light lagers tend to use rice or other non-barley grains for some of the sugars, which gives them a lighter taste - Bud is supposedly 80% rice. While I'm not a big fan of the style, and I don't appreciate criticism from people who prefer American-style beer, it's worth pointing out that Bud is pretty popular in Europe, possessing something like a 15% market share, so it's not strictly an American phenomenon.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:04 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,720,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Awwww, you're like a beer-baby. That's so cute.

As a Midwestern boy you need to get out more and try some great American micro-brews! Why not start with something from the homestate: Three Floyds. Gumballhead is their popular wheat beer; you'd probably like Alpha King and perhaps Robert the Bruce.

Moving into Michigan, give Bells a try. Two Hearted Ale is one of my faves.

What about Spotted Cow or one of the other brews from New Glarus,WI?

And those are just a few of the local/regional brews off the top of my head. Don't dis American beer when you haven't even started drinking it yet!

Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 PM

12,171 posts, read 18,328,898 times
Heneiken, Becks, and Red Stripe are kind of, shall we say, americanized as well. Guiness will always be Guiness - a good stout. But really, you and everyone need to expand out, not only from the american weak rice-brewed beers, but the imports (or more accurately, the domestics passed off as imports) that your local wallmart stocks.

Visit a good beer store, with true imports and domestic micro-brews, and it will open your mind and your taste buds. There are excellent smaller breweries in North America, and more popular ones like Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams make excellent beer as well. Explore and learn different variaties - Pale Ales, Steam Ale, Bocks, Porters, Stouts, Wheet Beer, Dubbels...

Better yet, make your own beer. The best beer is made at home, with live yeast still in the bottle or keg. Learn the subtle nuances of using a different hops, the effects of boiling a hops for different periods of time, the change in tartness and spiceness. The difference malts. The effects of aging on taste. The effects of barley, the addition of sugars...

Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,288,350 times
OK, I'm only Australian but I kind of really like...Bud. I drink it all the time (not so much in Aust, it's harder to get). However, I'm not really a 'beer' drinker, so maybe thats why. To me it has a crisp taste and is easy to drink.
Some of the beers down here really taste watery, or they're too full on..sort of like eating a big meal.
Sounds like I should try Sam Adams then, but I don't want to get attached to it in the U.S, then be unable to get it down chunder...sorry, down under.
(Bud also makes me feel closer to the U.S too y'see).

Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,018,911 times
Got news for you...U.S. beers are getting too pricey!! I've drank Coors Light for years. But, they constantly play the container size switching game to hide price increases! I've switched to Coors lower cost Keystone Light and like it better and will not go back!! I don't need to hold out my stiff pinky finger while consuming it either!!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:15 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,080,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I think it is more of a small town mentality
Depends on the small town. I live in town of 1,200 or so, and we have a great brewery (Grand Teton Brewing Co.) and an excellent brew pub (Wildlife). The local market stocks mostly microbrews from CO, OR, WY and, of course, Grand Teton beers. The good local and regional beers are generally what you find on tap if you go to a bar or restaurant, as well. You can find the crappy stuff, but it's not generally the drink of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages