U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,053,429 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a 750ml or 35oz bottle of Woodbridge Chardonnay California 2008 Wine. According to one BAC website, this equals 5 "drinks." I know I should know better, but I RARELY drink. I still understand alcohol consumption in terms of "drinks." Anyway, according to the online BAC calculator, based on my weight (which I would rather not post), my BAC is .078, just barely under the limit but possible to be "rounded up" if you know what I mean. However, I do not feel the effects. Is this because I drank it on a full stomach? But I still should be feeling at least something?! I drank the bottle in 40 minutes.

First, please excuse my ingnorance on alcohol but I find most alcohol other than wine (on occasion) distasteful. Anyway, is the basic white wine (Chardonnay) from Woodbridge really equal to five drinks? Or less? Secondly, is my full stomach and heavy weight preventing me from being drunk? I can still type and talk and walk, but to play it safe I will not drive tonight. Am I technically drunk and do not know it or just a little buzzed but do not know it? Or is white wine on a full stomach in a big man too weak to do much? Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 AM

1,964 posts, read 4,598,905 times
according to what I could find, '08 Woodbridge Chard is listed as 13.5% alcohol by volume (or about 27 proof). Just for comparison Miller Genuine Draft is listed as 4.7%, so a similar amount of Chard contains roughly 3x more alcohol. There are roughly 2 bottles of beer in one 750ml wine bottle, so that means Woodbridge is equal to 6 Miller's ("drinks").

If you're fairly heavy you may not feel the effects of 6 drinks in one hour (especially on a full stomach) but it will still show up in a Breathalyzer test, so legally you'll be over the limit. For safety's sake it's best for everyone--regardless of weight--to limit their intake to 2 "drinks" if you're driving. That's 2 beers or 1/3 bottle of white wine. Just remember that many fruity red wines are over 15% and you have to drink even less to stay safe & sober.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 AM

8,897 posts, read 13,645,023 times
Holy crap, I think if I drank a bottle of wine in 40 minutes, I'd died of alcohol poisoning. But then, I'm 5ft and weigh about 100lbs.

Are you trying to get drunk or just trying to determine how safe it is for you to drive? I heard somewhere that if you're drinking more than 1 unit per hour, you will likely be over the legal limit and should not drive. I never drive if I've had even one drink all night because I'm a lightweight but my husband is comfortable having 1 or 2 at a slow pace, especially if he stops an hour or so before driving. Even if you're not feeling anything, I definitely think you shouldn't drive after a bottle of wine in 40 mins.

Drinking on a full/empty stomach definitely effects me differently - I never drink on an empty stomach or I'll wind up over the toilet all night. Learned that one the hard way but never made that mistake again.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,704,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
you may not feel the effects of 6 drinks in one hour (especially on a full stomach) but it will still show up in a Breathalyzer test, so legally you'll be over the limit.
Winner.

I've heard so many people use the "but I don't feel anything" or having a high tolerance as rationale for driving after drinking, but a blood alcohol percentage is based on consumption amount, size of person, and timeframe. Some people are just naturals at functioning well after drinking, others drink enough in their lives that they seem fine, but BAC doesn't factor any of that into the equation.

I love wine, but I personally wouldn't even think of driving if I did a whole bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages