U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,138,520 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to be allergic to one's own tears? Does anyone else have a severe physical reaction to crying?

If I shed even a few tears, I get hit with a severe migraine and my eyes swell up. My vision can be blurry as much as twelve hours later, and the skin around my eyes stays irritated and puffy as well. I look like I got hit in the face with a baseball bat.

Needless to say, I hate crying and do everything I can to avoid it. People always tell me I shouldn't hold things in, but it literally hurts to let them out!

Am I just a freak of nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM

2,060 posts, read 5,740,819 times
This does not sound like an allergic reaction to your own tears. I would see an opthamologist (not an optometrist). My eyes swell up when I cry. I've been told I have small eye ducts. You may have a problem with your eyes and not know it.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 11,505 times
Default allergy to tears

My entire life, I have a reaction if I cry... my eyes swell up huge and almost completely shut. Also my face puffs and turns red and blotchy, my vision blurs so badly I can not do normal activities ie: driving, reading, watching TV. My tears sting really bad, literally like acid rain. What ever this is... once it starts I'm looking at 2 to 3 days of swollen and blurry eyes, red, botchy face that feels raw & very painful!!! I am NOT allergic to water, rain etc. so I do not have aquagenic urticaria. I have tried ice packs, heat packs, creams etc. The whole thing is like a cruel joke, I was born a Cancerian my moon is in Pisces, which are both water signs (Emotion; empathy; sensitivity) and I was born an artist. It is in my very nature to cry! After 53 years I pretty much just dont allow myself to cry, lots of practice and self control, and even sometimes still, I lose the battle! I want to cry for others here that suffer from this, I feel your pain and wish I had some encouraging words for you, but if there is a remedy, I have not found it (( HUGS)) is all I have.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM

16,487 posts, read 11,977,359 times
Wow, this is interesting. I never heard of anyone reacting this way to tears. My guess would be it has something to do with the fact that tears are salty.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 11,201 times
Default Swollen eyes for days after crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssepia View Post
My entire life, I have a reaction if I cry... my eyes swell up huge and almost completely shut. Also my face puffs and turns red and blotchy, my vision blurs so badly I can not do normal activities ie: driving, reading, watching TV. My tears sting really bad, literally like acid rain. What ever this is... once it starts I'm looking at 2 to 3 days of swollen and blurry eyes, red, botchy face that feels raw & very painful!!! I am NOT allergic to water, rain etc. so I do not have aquagenic urticaria. I have tried ice packs, heat packs, creams etc. The whole thing is like a cruel joke, I was born a Cancerian my moon is in Pisces, which are both water signs (Emotion; empathy; sensitivity) and I was born an artist. It is in my very nature to cry! After 53 years I pretty much just dont allow myself to cry, lots of practice and self control, and even sometimes still, I lose the battle! I want to cry for others here that suffer from this, I feel your pain and wish I had some encouraging words for you, but if there is a remedy, I have not found it (( HUGS)) is all I have.
I'm having the same problem for 5 years. I just got back from a doctor specialized in eyelids and tear-ducts. He said that the symptoms are very much like an allergic reaction of the eyes and he said that maybe anti-histamine pills might help. I'll try taking one if I feel I really need to cry.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,082,031 times
I have the same problem to a lesser extent. If I cry hard - I'll get a horrible headache. If I cry just a tiny bit, my nose runs and I feel stuffed up.

I think it's sinus related. Just like when you have a sinus infection, your eyes get puffy and if you have a bad cold they get watery/teary. It's all connected. Other than antihistimines, I don't know what else you -can- do for it. But at least the antihistimines help, and I take a Zyrtec every couple of days to manage hives (I'm a cashier, allergic to a powdery-siliconish substance added to the surface of plastic bags), so fortunately I don't experience it often anymore.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:57 PM

172 posts, read 130,534 times
Young woman who can't cry - because she's allergic to her own tears | Mail Online

Might be diet.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 AM

1,756 posts, read 1,585,489 times
Sometimes my tears burn my skin but that's as bad as it gets.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,685 times
When I cry my eyes itch horribly and I start sneezing violently and feel as though I have comr in connect with something I am allergic too. I have horrible allergies anyway. Cats, hay fever. Just about everything. But I have the same violent reaction if I start crying. Usually I'm sick for several days ... Still sneezing, face itches, nose burns and gets stopped up from sneezing and my eyes burn and itch. I get miserable from crying.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,841 times
My face and shoulders break out in hives whenever i start crying. Luckily it only take 45-60 minuets after i stop crying to clear up but its really annoying. My eyes also get really red and puffy too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies