Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:36 AM

16 posts, read 30,188 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has a severe allergy to fire ants and how they cope with it in the Triangle area. I'm starting immunotherapy shots next week, but even after getting them, it looks like you still need to avoid fire ants and carry an epi pen as there is still a chance you can have a severe reaction.

I just wanted to get anyone else's thoughts or stories if they are in a similar situation. It's hard to find anyone who really understands what it's like to deal with this problem everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Stop walking without shoes on

Old 08-28-2009, 07:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
I don't understand. Why do you need to deal with it every day? Can't you just avoid fire ants?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:56 AM

16 posts, read 30,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I don't understand. Why do you need to deal with it every day? Can't you just avoid fire ants?
You can avoid them if you don't go in a park, or around a swimming pool, or in your back yard, or really any outdoor activity. You would be amazed at how many ants you see if you look for them. Any one of those could be a fire ant that could crawl on your shoe, up your leg and send you to the hospital or worse.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,394 times
Not really, I find that they stick to the immediate area of their mound, almost always unless they are disturbed they will also stay IN the mound. If you see a clay/sandy mound, stay away. Get some bait (search function) and you can place it anywhere you choose, too.

I have had very sore, itchy, oozing bites from these little monsters. But I always found that I was in a compromising state, ie barefoot or sandals or sitting on the curb without looking.

My severe allergy is wasps/yellowjackets and thank God I have avoided all contact for nearly 20 years.

Good luck! And watch where you step!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Put this down in your yard every 6 months and you won't ever see an ant again

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/5026342/OrthoMax_Full.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-28-2009 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Please post links to pictures, unless you have taken them yourself.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 AM

114 posts, read 373,297 times
I think what the OP means is that he/she is very allergic (probably an anaphalatic reaction that can involve risk of death) and even though you try to avoid them, you still always have to carry an epi-pen and still will always have some contact/proximity to them during the course of a day.

I have a son that has a severe food allergy and has to carry an epi-pen so my guess is that the OP is just trying to get tips on minimizing contact.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,554 times
From what I've heard, the immunotherapy for it is very effective. I'm actually in a very similar situation with anaphylactic reactions to yellow jackets/wasps/hornets & am about halfway through my immunotherapy build-up. While it's true that after immunotherapy you have to keep going every now & then to get your maintenance dose, the chance of having an anaphylactic reaction to a bite/sting afterwards is significantly reduced. Carrying the epi-pen is a backup though. What I've also found to put my mind at easy is on top of carrying an epi-pen, get the Benadryl tabs (they are little clear films that dissolve in your mouth almost immediately). While they aren't the best tasting, but when you actually NEED them, they are invaluable - because they dissolve so close to your throat if you're having any throat swelling they help very quickly. So my general protocol now is to always have my epipen & Benadryl tabs anywhere I go. My lifesytle is one that I am ALWAYS outside landscaping & gardening for my free time, so I clearly was very worried when I realized how severe of an allergy I have. With the proper backup preparations (epi close by, etc.) & the immunotherapy I try not to let it really affect my life. I came to peace with the fact that I'll never entirely be able to isolate myself from the danger but am doing everything I can to minimize it so I can lead a normal life, still doing the things I love to do. Best of luck with everything - it sounds like you're on the right path.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:33 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,831 times
Default Not created equal when it comes to fire ant reactions...

I can sympathize with you...

Immediate topical and/or oral antihistamines help to reduce symptoms, but no kidding about this little ditty that I posted to an earlier FA thread:

"BTW, here's a little trick. If you get bit by a fire ant IMMEDIATELY dab a little ammonia or Windex on it!

I know sounds like something from My Big Fat Greek Wedding - but I am one who swells and blisters from ant bites and this (from my Florida pharmacist) worked like a charm (provided you don't have a sensitivity to ammonia!)."

I keep a bottle of ammonia in the garage cabinet in case I get bit while working in the yard. I do patrol for mounds occasionally & treat them immediately with Amdro.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Does it work for mosquito bites? I get nickel-sized bumps when they bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
I can sympathize with you...

Immediate topical and/or oral antihistamines help to reduce symptoms, but no kidding about this little ditty that I posted to an earlier FA thread:

"BTW, here's a little trick. If you get bit by a fire ant IMMEDIATELY dab a little ammonia or Windex on it!

I know sounds like something from My Big Fat Greek Wedding - but I am one who swells and blisters from ant bites and this (from my Florida pharmacist) worked like a charm (provided you don't have a sensitivity to ammonia!)."

I keep a bottle of ammonia in the garage cabinet in case I get bit while working in the yard. I do patrol for mounds occasionally & treat them immediately with Amdro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies