Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 PM

727 posts, read 1,532,920 times

Advertisements

I just saw the film Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, and I seriously want to try the juice fasting like Joe Cross did. Only problem is that I have Oral Allergy Syndrome (which is one of the reasons why I don't eat as healthy as I should). I've tried to do research online, but I cannot find anything on it. What I am wondering is if I would still experience an allergic reaction from the juice as I would from eating the fruit or vegetable. I'm meeting with an allergist this week in hopes they can help me with this (and my annual fits of hay fever), and running it by my physician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
I just saw the film Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, and I seriously want to try the juice fasting like Joe Cross did. Only problem is that I have Oral Allergy Syndrome (which is one of the reasons why I don't eat as healthy as I should). I've tried to do research online, but I cannot find anything on it. What I am wondering is if I would still experience an allergic reaction from the juice as I would from eating the fruit or vegetable. I'm meeting with an allergist this week in hopes they can help me with this (and my annual fits of hay fever), and running it by my physician.
If you're allergic to specific fruits, then you will be allergic to them in juice form. Consider that juicing is just a way of macerating the fruits - you do this when you chew, the machine does it when you press a button. The only difference is, much of the pulp is eliminated. But not all of it, so if it's the pulp you're allergic to, you'll still be exposed to it.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:45 AM

34 posts, read 77,261 times
I won’t prefer juice diet for any circumstance. Though it does help in weight loss faster but the loss is probably the water weight or muscle loss. So it is not a healthy diet plan to follow you can add some juice to your diet plan.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
I have oral allergy syndrome, too. I just don't bother with most fruits, especially melons. I would consider that oral allergy syndrome is a pretty good indication you shouldn't be eating a ton of fruit -- I eat the occasional pear or berries, but most fruits I don't touch, and I certainly don't miss them.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Juicing isn't going to denature the proteins in the fruits so they should elicit the same response, but you could always try a few juices?

Juice fasting doesn't achieve anything though....

Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 PM

38 posts, read 59,522 times
this oral allergy sucks. every year it has been getting worse for me.
this list
Birch pollen: apple, almond, carrot, celery, cherry, hazelnut, kiwi, peach, pear, plum
Grass pollen: celery, melons, oranges, peaches, tomato
Ragweed pollen: banana, cucumber, melons, sunflower seeds, zucchini

as of this year all qualify for me now. and the funny thing is in the beginning it was only oranges that i had a reaction to since teenage years.
some not as bad as others but still causes discomfort.
because of this i can sure tell if 100% fruit juices are what they say lol.
i wish there was something to be able to get around it. i miss my fruits and vegies.
oh yea and now even tomato type sauces effect me. nice huh.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,443 times
Hello there!
I just came across your post as I was doing some internet searching for new info on OAS. I like to search around every so often.
I have a pretty bad case of OAS. There aren't many fruits and veggies I can eat raw. I'm one of the few who gets chest pains and tightness as well as the itching and swelling.
I found that my mouth symptoms can be lessened with milk or yogurt, as well as drinking lots of water.
Regarding the juice - my boyfriend bought a juicer a few years ago and I was a little jealous so I tried it out one day. There are some things that I can actually drink juiced without getting symptoms. I have no answer, no idea why, but my suggestion to you would be to be extremely careful and try out some juices a tiny bit at a time.
Let us know if you do!!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:21 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
One of the allergies I have seems to be from the outside of oranges and similar fruits. I only have to handle them and my whole face blows up particularly under my eyes and face itches and goes red. This lasts for 4 or 5 days!

So... I was wondering if some people are allergic to the very harsh chemicals they spray on the outside of these fruit like I am. I can drink some juice but the chemicals are probably inside too and so if I drink more than a little I get a reaction. It may be something to consider as some 'organic' oranges are not sprayed with the same chemicals which give me problems.

The other thing I was wondering is whether a de-sensitising program would work for some people? Or maybe even homeopathy could help which they often use in Switzerland a lot I believe.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,273 times
Smile Oral Allergy Syndrome

For 21 years I was thought to have Oral Allergy Syndrome until one day about 6 months ago I watched a movie called Seeds of Death this movie basically explained to me why I have a reaction to certain foods, mainly fresh fruit and veggies. So just being curious we happened to have some organic bananas sitting on the counter (not because we only buy organic food but because my husband thought they tasted better, but we do buy only organic now) and I opened one and ate it, NO REACTION AT ALL so guess what people it's not YOU it's the food we are eating and we are super sensitive to GMOS that's your problem. Every Organic fruit and veggie I have tried from then on has had no reaction except melons, still sensitive to those. Please do yourself a favor and try it.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:34 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmthms11 View Post
For 21 years I was thought to have Oral Allergy Syndrome until one day about 6 months ago I watched a movie called Seeds of Death this movie basically explained to me why I have a reaction to certain foods, mainly fresh fruit and veggies. So just being curious we happened to have some organic bananas sitting on the counter (not because we only buy organic food but because my husband thought they tasted better, but we do buy only organic now) and I opened one and ate it, NO REACTION AT ALL so guess what people it's not YOU it's the food we are eating and we are super sensitive to GMOS that's your problem. Every Organic fruit and veggie I have tried from then on has had no reaction except melons, still sensitive to those. Please do yourself a favor and try it.
It is entirely possible that you outgrew your allergy/ies. Many people with OAS outgrow it. I had OAS when I was child and the fruits which caused that for me were organic (we grew them ourselves). Later down the road I found I could eat them just fine. Then, of course, my allergies sprung up later in life again like mad, and then my immune system went totally haywire, but that's another story.

Not to say our food supply is great--it's not. There are all kinds of pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Even if the trace amounts are easily excreted by the body, the environmental pollution is still terrible and is a health risk to many people, not the least of which the farm laborers. Even Roundup has been suggested to be a human carcinogen and it is one of the milder pesticides. Makes you wonder what little amounts of exposure do to a body over long periods of time. We have certainly seen the effects in farming communities such as those in Central California and Central Washington, where many fruits and vegetables are produced. The cancer rates are much higher in those agricultural locations and in agricultural workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies