U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,725,763 times

Advertisements

Never heard of this before. Not that it means anything. I'd never heard of being allergic to peanut buitter before there was a big flap about it in one of the school districts around Orlando.

A guy I know just went on a trip to the hospital after drinking a large glass of tea. He's the kind of guy that has done about everything from drugs to booze. But, it seems he's never had a glass of iced tea. Within 20 minutes, he was in an ambulance, hives, couldn't breathe, and heart rate up around 170.

It was dark or black tea. I've been drinking it for years without any problems. Also green tea, and if I could find white tea, I'd drink that too. But, since he took a ride to the hospital, I've done a little research. Seems black tea is fermented with a type of mold. Aspergillis? Green tea is slightly fermented also. Might it be the tea itself that set him off or might it be the mold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,783,127 times
Tea makes me sick. It probably has mold in it.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM

19,535 posts, read 18,602,711 times
I was at an allergist's getting tested once and someone was getting tested for allergy to tea--so it is possible. It's a plant and people could be allergic to it. One thing though, you can never be allergic to something you have never had before. That person must have had tea at least once before.

Of course, they could have been allergic to some mold in the tea also or maybe there was something else in the tea.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,725,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was at an allergist's getting tested once and someone was getting tested for allergy to tea--so it is possible. It's a plant and people could be allergic to it. One thing though, you can never be allergic to something you have never had before. That person must have had tea at least once before.

Of course, they could have been allergic to some mold in the tea also or maybe there was something else in the tea.
The mold they apparently use to ferment the tea is my thought. But, he says he's not gutsy enough to try white tea.

And, I don't know about that theory of not being allergic to something you've never had before. I know of a couple of people that never had certain medications before, and found out they were allergic to them. The first time you get stung by a bee or wasp, you can find out you're allergic to the venom. I would not want to bet my life on that theory.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,874,910 times
I don't doubt the potential for an allergic reaction.
While I enjoy the taste of tea-I can't drink it because it causes me to get spasms in my urinary tract

Old 11-06-2013, 02:05 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,592,594 times
I can't drink tea because I'm allergic to the fungal type of yeast (i.e. Baker's yeast, not Candida) and it grows naturally on the leaves. Same with grapes.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 PM

28 posts, read 90,032 times
It really could be anything in the tea. Your body does a good job telling you what it likes and doesn't, so if you don't feel good after something, chances are you probably shouldn't eat or drink it. (this includes fast food) because you know we all feel like crap a couple hours after eating that stuff.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,042,404 times
Many teas are sprayed with various chemicals as they are grown, just like fruits and veg. He may have even had a reaction to one of the chemicals.
I try to drink organic teas now, just in case.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 PM

19,535 posts, read 18,602,711 times
But tea is also a plant and it's easy to be allergic to any plant. Some people ARE allergic to tea just as some people are allergic to ragweed.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM

7,078 posts, read 9,279,592 times
I'm allergic to tea, but I love it so much I suffer the sneezing and itching. Black, green and oolong tea are all the same plant so he will likely react the same to all of them.

Life without iced tea! That poor guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies