Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times

Advertisements

What part of the country is good to move to to avoid tree allergies..im allergic to about 12-14 different types of trees. I currently live in the Hudson Valley, NY State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 04:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
What part of the country is good to move to to avoid tree allergies..im allergic to about 12-14 different types of trees. I currently live in the Hudson Valley, NY State
As my allergist once said: On a ship at sea.

But actually tree allergies improve if you live by the sea where there are no trees. If it's also from the leaf mold in the fall, you'll feel better in the fall too. Other people can probably suggest better areas of the country but I did better moving from the CT River Valley out to the New England coast. There are no trees here to be allergic to.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Then there's also the dry desert areas, like Palm Springs, where the main trees are palm trees.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:46 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Then there's also the dry desert areas, like Palm Springs, where the main trees are palm trees.
Let's see, hmmm...
Lots of plants grow in Palm Springs. Here are a few: Trees Acacia; Acacia abyssinica, Abyssinian acacia; Acacia aneura, Mulga; Acacia pendula, Weeping acacia; Acacia salicina, Willow acacia; Acacia stenophylla, Shoestring acacia; Brahea armata, Mexican blue palm; Butia capitata, Pindo Palm; Caesalpinia cacalaco, Cascalote; Chamaerops humilis, Mediterranean fan palm; Chorisia speciosa, Silk floss tree; Eucalyptus; Eucalyptus erythrocorys, Red-cap gum/Illyarrie; Eucalyptus formanii, Forman’s Eucalyptus; Eucalyptus leucoxylon, ‘Rosea’, White Ironbark; Eucalyptus spathulata, Swamp mallee; Eucalyptus torquata, Coral Flowered Gum; Eucalyptus woodwardii, Lemom Flowered Gum; Geijera parviflora, Australian willow; Leucaena retusa, Golden leadball; Lysiloma watsonii, Desert Fern; Olneya tesota, Iron Wood; Phoenix canariensis, Canary Island Date Palm; Phoenix dactylifera, Date Palm; Pistacia lentiscus, Mastic; Pithecellobium flexicaule, Texas Ebony; Quercus virginiana, Southern Live Oak; Trachycarpus fortunei, Windmill palm. Shrubs Asclepias linaria, Pine leaf milkweed; Buddleia marrubifolia, Wooly butterfly bush; Caesalpinia gilliesii, Desert or Yellow bird of paradise; Caesalpinia mexicana, Mexican bird of paradise; Calliandra californica, Red fairy duster; Calliandra eriophylla, Fairy duster; Carissa grandiflora, Natal Plum; Convolvulus cneorum, Bush morning glory; Cordia parvifolia, Littleleaf cordia; Dalea frutescens, Black dalea; Dalea greggii, Trailing indigo bush; Dalea pulchra, Bush dalea; Dodonaea viscosa, Hop bush; Dodonaea viscosa ‘purpurea’, Purple hop bush; Encelia farinosa, Brittlebush; Ericameria laricifolia, Turpentine bush; Fallugia paradoxa, Apache plume; Fatsia japonica, Japanese aralia; Feijoa sellowiana, Pineapple guava; Fouquieria splendens, Ocotillo; Justicia californica, Chuparosa; Justicia candicans, Red Justicia; Justicia spicigera, Mexican honeysuckle; Lantana camara, Bush lantana; Larrea tridentata, Creosote bush; Leucophyllum candidum, Silver cloud, sage; Leucophyllum frutescens, Texas ranger/Texas sage; Leucophyllum laevigatum, Chihuahuan sage; Nandina spp., Heavenly bamboo; Rhus ovata, Sugar Bush; Rosmarinus officinalis, Rosemary; Ruellia peninsularis, Desert ruellia; Salvia; Salvia chaemedryoides, Blue sage; Salvia clevelandii, Chaparral sage; Salvia coccinea, Cherry Red sage; Salvia farinacea, Mealycup sage; Salvia greggii, Autumn sage; Salvia leucantha, Mexican Bush sage; Santolina spp. Lavender cotton; Simmondsia chinensis, Jojoba; Sophora secundiflora, Texas Mountain Laurel; Sphaeralcea ambigua, Globe Mallow; Tagetes lemmonii, Mountain marigold; Tecoma stans v. angustata, Arizona Yellow Bells; Tecomaria capensis, Cape honeysuckle. Texas Sweet is the name of the grapefruit and fall is the best time to plant the trees. Orchids will not grow outdoors because the air is too dry but they will grow indoors where you can control the humidity.

You'll find allergies no matter where you live, especially if you have some food ones.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
As our allergist said if you move to a new area to avoid allergies, you may well develop new allergies you didn't know about. Best to learn how to deal with the allergies you have.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
I wish there was an allergy free place sadly there isnt. I know that my allergies are really bad here in FL year round. When I lived in UK I just had mild seasonal allergies.
Right now here in FL our pollen count is still med-high. Been like this for months now. Glad we are moving to where we have seasons, hopefully I will be back to seasonal allergies instead of year round allergies.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:29 PM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Pollen allergies are caused by wind-borne pollen, not by flowers (unless you stick your nose in the flower). This is why the tropical rainforest is said to be good for allergy sufferers. There are no wind pollinated plants in the jungle.

While pollen from wind pollinated plants is almost everywhere, this does not mean that all locations are equally bad. The colder the climate, the shorter the growing season and exposure to pollen. The drier the climate, the fewer the number of plants.

When I visited Hays, Kansas in June 2012, during an extreme drought, my allergies bothered me less than in Ohio. A coworker said that when his sister moved from Ohio to Las Vegas, her allergies were "a hundred times better".

One problem in desert cities is that people plant the same vegetation allergy sufferers moved out west to avoid. Some cities are passing ordinances to prohibit this practice. Personally, I think anyone caught growing grass in a desert climate should be deported back east on the first available Greyhound bus.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:23 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
More than likely, you'd have to live in the desert rather than in a heavily-wooded area. That helps your chances some. I've had friends that had that experience.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:31 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Portland, Ore.
Seattle, Wash.
San Diego, Calif.
Sacramento, Calif.
Albany, NY
Salt Lake City, Utah
Stockton, Calif.
San Jose, Calif.
Colorado Springs, Colo.
Daytona Beach, Fla.

Best Cities for Allergies in U.S.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I still say live by the sea. There's nothing to be allergic to except salt water and sand. There are no trees, there are few flowers, just what can fit into a planter, there are no shrubs, not many flower gardens. You do get wild rose bushes and beach plums. In the fall you don't get leaf mold with is really sickening if you live inland. I'm talking about New England and I get really sick if I go inland. But by the sea the allergies are gone. Then the cold winter kills everything off and you have 6 months of zero allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies