U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:51 PM

3,468 posts, read 4,354,302 times

Advertisements

Some improvement but already pretty underwhelming, and I don't expect things to get better over time.

I'm also finding that even when I don't get pressure (or at least no much), I am still getting fatigue that seems related to barometric pressure changes (or possibly other weather changes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 06:19 PM

Didn't work, obviously.

I went to a neurologist lately and he thinks I probably have tension headaches and quickly recommended an a tricyclic antidepressant. I have no intention of taking it. Things are bad, but the all-too-likely side effects of an antidepressant could easily make them worse. Let's see, fatigue is one of my symptoms, and it's also a common side effect of tricyclics. I think I'll pass.

(He also admitted that some of what I described sounds more like sinus headaches.)

Since my previous post, I also tried Atrovent (Ipratropium bromide), on my primary care physician's recommendation. Didn't help. Created a lot of post-nasal drip, which at first I thought might just be a temporary phase, as a result of opening things up. But the post-nasal drip lasted too long and I didn't feel quite right on the medicine anyway.

Also found OPC's (oligomeric proanthocyanidins) to be no use.

I'm back to acupuncture which seems to help a little, and "seems to" is about as good as it seems to get.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 08-11-2016 at 06:29 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 06:53 PM

For people looking for place with less extreme barometric pressure changes, this list might be helpful. As the compiler admits, he isn't really sure if the issue is pressure changes from day to day (which is what this list is based on) or pressure changes within a given day:

https://www.securevideo.com/blog/201...ion-full-list/

I'm still thinking of visiting Phoenix to see if I feel better, but I really am not enthusiastic about going anywhere hotter than Albuquerque.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 PM

23,272 posts, read 8,072,426 times
Santa Monica is great for being a desert by the SEA. My friend in Palm Desert has horrible allergies and she lived in Phoenix for a while and was horrible there. Deserts are not great for allergy sufferers. Deserts are good for OA folks but allergies are tough. Sorry about the OPC's, maybe another try or maybe resveratrol.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:38 AM

I just don't see how I could afford to live in Southern California. I am not willing to go back to living in a studio apartment with thin walls (not that I own a house, but in Albuquerque I have been able to rent a place that gives me adequate insulaion from my neighbors).

I'm also a little scared of the future of California. If the United States breaks up, it will probably start in California. On the one hand, I like the militant leftist strain within California's political culture less and less, and I particularly don't like the militant reconquista types. On the other hand, much of California is a difficult place to live unless you are at least upper middle class.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:09 AM

I don't have your fears and I've been here over 50 yrs from the East and could never go back to that miserable weather. I came here when real estate was high vs East FOR SURE and now it's out of sight, but I'm in with rent control so I'm content enough. I still pay a hefty rent but it's relative in so many ways. Trade offs we choose them.

My friend who went to Palm Desert for retirement for lesser cost living, pays in the HEAT and worse allergies. So.....

For you how about higher parts of NM like Las Cruces, my cousins loved it there from their move from the southest. He died and she's moved to CO to be with son.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I came here when real estate was high vs East FOR SURE and now it's out of sight, but I'm in with rent control so I'm content enough. I still pay a hefty rent but it's relative in so many ways. Trade offs we choose them.
Sure, but not everybody is in a position to make the same trade offs. However willing I might be to pay a high rent, I would still have to find a way to pay it. As for not wanting to live in a studio again. . . I don't care so much about size, but I am very sensitive to noise. Having to deal with a lot of neighbor noise would destroy my life as surely as the sinus problems do now. I have to be able to sleep. I've always had this problem of, on the one hand, wanting to live in an urban area with lots of activity, and on the other, being a lot more sensitivie to noise than most people.

Good that you have rent control to help, at least.

I could try to make more money, but the fact that my health is so poor and unreliable leads me to avoid taking on lots of stressful new responsibilities on the job (let alone doing something more ambitious like getting another degree while working full-time, or starting a business--forget it). It's a catch-22. Under the circumstances, I can't really make up for the impractical decisions I made when I was younger (especially regarding education). I am learning some new skills at work, at least, but they won't lead to more pay. They will increase my marketability some, if I ever go looking for another job.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:07 AM

I know it's NOT easy for SO MANY people and worse today I think since mfg is gone from our country and jobs are replaced by robots, tech etc. Prices in everything have gone sky high since I was growing up and I did work 40 yrs and raised a child on my own and no help from anyone except some child support when she was a child. Things are majorally different today from THEN. Do your best and yes stress is a hazard.

I'm hearing more and more young people coming out of college with great degrees are having trouble with jobs...not enough plumbers and electricians today. Think about my grandkids who are college goaled. But they'll be OK, I have to trust.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:58 AM

Actually the rents listed here aren't as bad as I expected. I was paying almost $1400 for my last 1BR very close to Center City, Philadelphia, before I relocated in 2008, but I was also making more money than I make now, and I didn't have a car. Maybe it wouldn't be impossible for me to live in San Diego or some place similar. I'm not sure. It would depend on what sort of salary I could come up with there. Of course, I'd probably have to pay more than the average San Diego rent to get the equivalent of what I had in Philly.

Wow, have rents changed since 2000 in some cities

Old 08-13-2016, 12:05 PM

In San Diego, you don't need winter clothes, boots, snow tires/chains, heat ..

People talk about how expensive CA is but I remind them...life is so much easier here .. especially health-wise. They don't do the comparing I do. They forget and just complain. I lived in the East 27 yrs before coming West. I've been here 51 yrs.

I don't miss the snow for a second. I know we've digressed but it's all about health for sure.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-13-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies