U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:55 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,613,175 times

Advertisements

It has to do with GMOs and pesticides used in farming of the peanut rather than the peanut itself, thank Monsanto for that.
Also, GMOs and these other pesticides are weakening the plants immune system and natural defenses...it's a horrible situation.

The Hidden Truth About Peanuts: From Food Allergies to Farm Practices | Inspired Bites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:08 PM

4,881 posts, read 4,834,874 times
Perhaps there are other contributors?

Photo Gallery: Top 10 Chemical Companies in the 2013 IW US 500 [SLIDESHOW] | IndustryWeek

Old 03-18-2014, 07:51 AM

530 posts, read 990,356 times
What causes food allergies is a million dollar question--particularly for those of us who have children with severe allergies. I have a daughter who is severely allergic to milk and has allergy induced asthma. I have read many of the theories, and most of them don't apply to us. I breastfed her for a year. She was exposed to lots of dirt and germs. I ate lots of cheese when I was pregnant with her, along with nuts (though she is not allergic to them).

I do have to say though that my dd with allergies was exposed to many more antibiotics than her siblings, who do not have allergies. My dd with allergies was hospitalized at three weeks old with a fever and was pumped full of antibiotics. She also had antibiotics many times for ear infections since doctors were still recommending them for all ear infections at the time.

I also have read about the GMO food theories and think it has some validity. The rate of peanut allergies went up dramatically after the soybean was genetically modified. Part of the GMO theory is that exposure to the genetically modified soybean affected some children's ability to handle other legumes like peanuts.

There also have been many studies showing the incredible increase in man-made chemicals in our bodies over the years with all the changes in food packaging etc. It would seem these chemicals could affect more sensitive individuals.

Regardless, there is no doubt allergies and other problems are on the rise. There are some cases where people have false positives on allergy tests, which confuses some parents and patients. However, when you have positives tests coupled with real life reactions, you know you are dealing with a true allergy. Unfortunately, we've had several trips to the hospital to confirm our daughter's allergy.

On a final note, I see many people mentioning gluten here. Many people avoid gluten because of celiac disease, which is a different problem. There is a blood test for celiac disease, so it is easy to diagnose.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:17 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,943,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh boy, OP, you're gonna get slammed by all the peanut allergy advocates!

What's with the peanut allergies these days?

Here's how they responded to me.
I read that thread, and you brought up the comparison of strawberry or shellfish allergies a few times... what you seem to be missing, however, is that those allergies don't cause a reaction when AIRBORNE.

My sister developed a peanut allergy during her first pregnancy (discovered when she ended up in the ER after eating one), and now has a reaction from even BREATHING the fumes of a peanut. We flew to/from NYC a few weeks ago, and the lady next to us starting eating a bag of peanuts - all of sudden my sister started to cough, and literally jumped over me to escape the seating row. When she returned about 10 minutes later, I asked what happened and she said "peanut fumes." She is far from a hypochondriac, actually kind of the opposite, so I promise you it's a legitimate danger for some folks.

That being said, I have no idea why it's suddenly so prevalent! Some explanations on this thread might be valid, but I personally think it's a combination of lowered immune systems (due to more sterile surroundings) and how peanuts are processed now. Just an opinion, though, with no facts to validate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I don't recall a single child dying due to allergies from back when I was a kid. Mothers didn't take drugs for every little thing, kids played outside (yes, and ate dirt), and life was good!
Really? You don't think kids ever died from allergies back in the day?? My mother almost died a couple of times from a nightshade (i.e. peppers) allergy, and she was born in 1948. They didn't always know how to treat that stuff, so she actually spent some time in an "iron lung" after a serious attack. Did it occur to you that medicine/research was just more primitive, and therefore not every death was correctly attributed to allergies? Or maybe you were just oblivious, as most kids are regardless of their generation.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:27 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,943,388 times
Btw, I think it's interesting to repeat that she (my sister) developed this allergy during pregnancy... she also developed a gluten sensitivity, but in exchange lost her lactose intolerance almost entirely. So maybe there's some connection to hormones? Hmmm.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 PM

39,435 posts, read 47,528,567 times
Why are peanut allergies so much more prevalent now than they used to be?
Because of the increase in population more people are eating them.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 PM

4,805 posts, read 9,409,945 times
Our son, who is now 9, was born with peanut allergies. Well, more than likely he was.... we knew he had a milk allergy before age 1 and then had a full test done around 18 mo of age and peanuts showed up. We go Allergy Associates of La Crosse (Wisconsin) since 18 mo of age, and do food drops. We have asked our doctor there and she has been in many research studies on peanut allergies and other food allergies with Duke University and Johns Hopkins. And no one really knows whey there is an increase percentage wise in food allergies. Some think it has to do with the too clean of society we live in, some think it may have some connection to chemicals now used in most foods, but in reality there is no one magic reason that has been found. Likely a combination of many things.

Dan

Old 05-28-2014, 03:31 PM

3,273 posts, read 3,105,019 times
Post Falsely high rate of Americans, Canadians and Brits self-reporting (parental reporting) peanut allergies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Why are peanut allergies so much more prevalent now than they used to be? Because of the increase in population more people are eating them.
That's why we track the rate per 100,000 people, not the raw incidence.

Also, Americans, Canadians and Brits self-report peanut allergies at a higher rate than other parts of the world, it is suspected there are cultural factors at play. For one, many more parents report their children have allergies than is supported by actual medical test results.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:20 PM

8,948 posts, read 8,061,660 times
There are several arguments being given on this thread.

1---People have allergies and they can cause serious problems and can even be life threatening.

2---The post above tries to make it look like a lot of people with allergies do not have them as a doctor has not ruled on it..

3---People did not have allergies before modern medicine.

4---Allergies are due to men altering genetics of food.

Etc., Etc., Etc.

Fact: People had allergies clear back 75 years ago. I know as I had some allergies, as did a lot of other people I was around in my every day life. In fact a lot of people suffered more from allergies back then, than today as there are more allergy treatments available including some very effective ones for a lot of people sold over the counter.

Fact: On reason that allergies may appear to be more prevalent today is, they keep more statistics on this problem today than they did way back 50 years ago as some here seem to think as the dark ages, with humanoids crawling out of the swamp, then standing and walking on two legs.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 AM

9,228 posts, read 18,881,427 times
I also think the big issue with allergies today is that this seems to be the first time in history that some people with allergies are putting an expectation on those around them (institutions, communities, businesses) to change rules, procedures, and the way they live, to accommodate the people with the allergies. This is what seems to be new.

Instead of saying "I have this life threatening allergy, and it's my responsibility to protect myself (or my child)" some people are saying "I have this life threatening allergy and YOU ALL have to do something to protect me (or my child)."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or