U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:10 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,763,049 times

Advertisements

My parents have gluten intolerance and they are trying to convince me that I have a gluten intolerance even though I really do not have anything wrong with me. I have the usual problems once in a while like throwing up and having diarrhea but they are trying to convince me this means I have a gluten tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:35 PM

19,647 posts, read 18,711,668 times
Isn't there a medical test for gluten intolerance? It's not an allergy so you would see your regular doctor. Throwing up and diarrhea are not normal so there could be something wrong.

Once you got tested you would know the answer.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,920,744 times
I have Celiac - there is a simple blood test that your doctor can order that is specific to Celiac Disease...my doctor had my blood tested in 2 separate labs and I had a biopsy taken - all showed that I had Celiac disease....there are also other conditions that can mimic many of the symptoms of Celiac. Celiac does tend to run in families.

Eating gluten free is not that bad - I eat a wide variety of healthy food and many restaurants now have gluten free menus or at least gluten free options.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:06 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,838,769 times
Unless you have sensitivity to gluten, there is no medical fact that says gluten in the diet is harmful.

Avoiding gluten is a fad without a basis in medical fact. It just one more way for the gullible to get roped into buying specific foods. Please, no blogs, many times repeated web pages or articles from experts who really can't back up what they say with facts.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:59 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,811,844 times
Nope, I don't need blogs, web pages, or experts to tell me that when I have gluten, I get sick (not celiac).

It's not a fad for me.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:33 AM

19,647 posts, read 18,711,668 times
I've been confused as to the difference between celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Apparently gluten intolerance is the more general category. I know about wheat allergy and that's something different. For some people, it's a fad, just as any new diet is a fad, but for people who truly have these illnesses, it's no fad at all. It's something they have to face up to and deal with in order to feel better. The people for whom it's a fad need to move on and find another fad to get excited about and stop giving the real sufferers a bad name.

What’s the difference between celiac disease, gluten intolerance, non-celiac gluten sensitivity and wheat allergy? | University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center

Old 06-06-2014, 12:20 PM

381 posts, read 712,806 times
My suggestion would be rather than argue with them as to whether you are also gluten intolerant, why not just remove gluten from your diet for a couple of weeks and see if you notice any kind of change? It isn't like we need gluten in order to live, so it won't harm you to remove all of it for a while. I would also think that if both truly are gluten intolerant/sensitive, chances are great that you would be too.

It may make it much easier in their household to have everyone adjust their food consumption to avoid gluten. We have two in our household that are gluten sensitive (digestive upsets when they consume gluten or too much gluten). Every so often I will make whole wheat pasta, but will also have their gf version. It makes extra work, but sometimes I just want some wheat! (I don't have the sensitivity to gluten.)

As far as I know, there is no single blood test for gluten intolerance. They can test for celiac, but someone who is gluten intolerant/sensitive will test negative for celiac. My daughter had another blood test which pointed towards gluten as the culprit (as one possible answer). Sure enough, when we removed gluten for a couple of weeks she felt so much better. Mystery of more than 7 years solved!

Old 06-06-2014, 12:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,275,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
My parents have gluten intolerance and they are trying to convince me that I have a gluten intolerance even though I really do not have anything wrong with me. I have the usual problems once in a while like throwing up and having diarrhea but they are trying to convince me this means I have a gluten tolerance.
Throwing up and diarrhea are not "usual problems." They indicate illness. Also, if you are eating TOO much fiber (including gluten-rich grain foods), you might have loose bowels from overconsumption. Overconsumption doesn't mean intolerance or even sensitivity. It just means you are eating too much of something, and your body is trying to tell you that but you're not paying attention to your body's physiological needs.

If you eat just one slice of bread for lunch, no grains at all in the morning, and 20 minutes later you're rushing to the bathroom to crap it out, then sure you might have a sensitivity to gluten or wheat.

But if you're eating half a loaf of garlic bread for dinner, and had linguine with clam sauce for lunch, and a big fat bowl of Wheaties with toast and jam for breakfast, then your'e just overconsuming and need to cut back. Maybe - a SLICE of garlic bread with your dinner, a side-dish of linguine, combined with a side-dish of salad, and an egg with a single slice of toaste with jam for breakfast. If you see an improvement with that, then you'll know it was just overeating, and not the specific ingredient that was causing the problem.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:59 PM

4,148 posts, read 4,118,145 times
I am curious, I don't doubt that gluten intolerence is real, I have a friend who gets sick from consuming bread with gluten.

But is this an American fad or problem? We don't normally hear of gluten intollerence in other countries.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 PM

39,411 posts, read 47,485,369 times
Not a fad at all. It's a known factor in many parts of the world, especially eastern and Asian countries. Read the below information site and it may enlighthttp://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gluten-f...tually-rising/
Gluten-free diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or