Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times

Advertisements

We are in the market for a high quality, natural fiber comforter and I need some sound advice as to which direction we should take.
First, I cannot stand synthetics - so those are out of the question from the start.

I absolutely love how a high quality down comforter feels (nothing can beat that luxurious feeling of sleeping in a cloud); but I also know wool can be very nice, especially in terms of temperature regulation.
I grew up with wool so I know it sleeps well, but I also know it will be hard to get that "pampered" sensation from wool.

My concerns about down:

1) might end up sleeping a bit too hot at times, and being in the south this might not apply just to summer (when we don't plan on using a comforter anyway).
2) dust mites.

Is it true that down harbors dust mites so badly? I do have some sort of chronic rhinitis and I tested slightly allergic to dust mites years ago but nothing major.
Is it possible to control this problem successfully with good maintenance, such as airing the down comforter regularly in the sun?

My concerns about wool:

It will not feel luxurious and might even feel scratchy/itchy.
In fact, I recently returned an Australian wool-filled comforter to overstock because it felt scratchy even through the cotton cover plus a duvet cover on top.

I want this comforter to feel extra nice and I am afraid wool might not deliver in terms of "luxury" feel.

Any suggestion for a soft, high quality wool comforter that would feel as luxurious as down, would be greatly appreciated.

In reality, I would prefer down but if it's true that it can cause serious problems even with good maintenance, I might have to resign myself to wool.

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:12 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I prefer down comforters. There are different weights. You can get one that doesn't have that much filling and is sewn through, meaning that there will be cold spots where the seams are that prevent the down from lofting to its fullest extent.

There are medium weights that are only sewn in some places and there are really expensive ones that have vertical rings that expand so the down can loft to its fullest. That type would be too hot even here in a New England winter.

There are also comforters that are filled with silk, I think it is shredded. They're a nice lightweight yet luxurious.

Some of the best places to get good comforters are L.L. Bean and The Company Store, and of course there are others.

I always make sure the cover is 100% cotton and I also cover the entire comforter with a cotton duvet cover. The cover keeps the dust off and keeps it clean. You can easily wash the duvet cover and put it back on. To kill any possible dust mites, I air the comforter out in freezing weather overnight. Freezing temps kill the nasty little dust mites, not sunlight, freezing temperatures kill them DEAD. But I do also air the comforter out in the sun just for good measure in the spring before I stow it away for the summer.

BTW, the silk filled comforter is a good summer comforter and it's really lightweight. I've had three comforters for years and they are all still in great condition. I have super bad allergies but no allergies from the comforters.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:11 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I prefer down, hands down.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
I would recommend getting down. I would advise you to take a look at this site, It recommends some really nice down comforters that are all highly rated and reviewed.

Site : http://myfivekids.hubpages.com/hub/b...-bed-comforter

Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 PM

194 posts, read 252,172 times
Is there any reason why you can't use synthetics. I've seen how they take the down (feathers), so wool i would say

Old 11-06-2014, 04:14 PM

15 posts, read 14,522 times
We like all cotton quilts, we never get cold with them but we do use down pillows which I wash and/or hang in the sun periodically. I also like my steamer which kills dust mites and cleans and sanitizes other things in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies