U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2014, 04:45 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,744,158 times
Reputation: 949

Advertisements

When I have severe post nasal drip, it always results in a cough. At the same time, I find myself belching more frequently. I'm wondering if the cough is a result of the drainage, or if the drainage is causing acid reflux which then causes the cough.....or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2014, 10:57 PM
 
2,835 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Reputation: 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
When I have severe post nasal drip, it always results in a cough. At the same time, I find myself belching more frequently. I'm wondering if the cough is a result of the drainage, or if the drainage is causing acid reflux which then causes the cough.....or both.

Only a doctor can tell you what's going on. However, I would always cough after waking in the morning & was recently diagnosed with reflux (after contrast x-ray & endoscopy.) Meds & eliminating certain foods have made a big difference.

I also have allergies though, so it can be confusing to sort it all out.

A gastro doc can run tests to tell you if you have reflux or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 07:41 AM
 
2,600 posts, read 6,037,417 times
Reputation: 2428
Looks like it !!!

Chronic Cough, Reflux, Postnasal Drip Syndrome, and the Otolaryngologist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 AM
 
295 posts, read 662,829 times
Reputation: 399
My doctor says it can, but that's for me personally so you should ask your doctor.

I got immense relief with a prescription nasal spray. Again, me personally. The cough and reflux you have and other symptoms might be something totally unrelated for you, that's why seeing your doc is so important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 02:24 PM
 
128 posts, read 181,672 times
Reputation: 27
I think that nasal congestion can, but my allergy specialist also told me that histamine can be released in your intestine due to allergies and cause inflammation in the digestive track. I was told that an over the counter acid blockers can help. I've also found taking one of those culterrelle probiotic capsules once a day has eliminated some of these issues for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
449 posts, read 703,452 times
Reputation: 557
This is ironic to see a post about this just today after my primary care doctor mentioned this. I've been sick since October, coming down with what I've been told is either a sinus infection or allergy. I have had a nasal drip into my throat, cough, runny nose, etc. I've been on Zyrtec for a week. For over a week I've been feeling like I have canker sores in my throat when I swallow. Yesterday I found a canker sore not in my throat but way back in the roof of my mouth. I also have a few under my tongue. It hurts terribly to swallow. I don't know what to do next. My doctor said she'd prescribe a throat spray and to try it, but she wonders if I might have a viral infection and something reflux related causing the throat pain. For years I have been taking Omeprazole off and on for reflux, but my reflux symptoms haven't been pain/feeling like canker sores when swallowing but rather like acid coming up into my mouth. I don't have that going on right now. Can the reflux cause my current problem? All I want now is to get rid of the canker sores.

A few weeks ago I was prescribed Augmentin. I took it and at the end of the medicine course had a severe reaction of a strong bout of diarrhea which was black. At the time I dismissed my concern and have been eating yogurt to balance things and it's all gone and I feel fine. It's just these canker sores now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 11:42 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
Reputation: 48552
I've posed here before about my persistent and copious PND and sinus issues.

As I understand it, GERD causes Post Nasal Drip. Not the other way around.

Recently, I was given a skin prick allergy test at The Cleveland Clinic. I was negative for everything. No allergies. I was surprised.

Currently, I have experienced a slight improvement. Slight. However, it is noticeable.

My current meds include = Nurontin 2 caps, 100 mg., three times per day

monelukast 10 mg, I tab at hour of sleep.

Albuterol - 2 puffs PRN

Ranidine - one tab 150mgs at hr, of sleep.

omeprazole, 20 mg. bid.

ipratopium bromide nasal spray - 2 X fail.

I'm not well. But I am better than I have been in 3 yrs.

If this helps one person, I am glad that I posted it.

The ENT department at The Cleveland Clinic really cares, and is working on a solution for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2014, 02:21 PM
 
2,835 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Reputation: 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I've posed here before about my persistent and copious PND and sinus issues.

As I understand it, GERD causes Post Nasal Drip. Not the other way around.

Recently, I was given a skin prick allergy test at The Cleveland Clinic. I was negative for everything. No allergies. I was surprised.

Currently, I have experienced a slight improvement. Slight. However, it is noticeable.

My current meds include = Nurontin 2 caps, 100 mg., three times per day

monelukast 10 mg, I tab at hour of sleep.

Albuterol - 2 puffs PRN

Ranidine - one tab 150mgs at hr, of sleep.

omeprazole, 20 mg. bid.

ipratopium bromide nasal spray - 2 X fail.

I'm not well. But I am better than I have been in 3 yrs.

If this helps one person, I am glad that I posted it.

The ENT department at The Cleveland Clinic really cares, and is working on a solution for me.



Sheena, have you had a contrast x-ray to verify reflux? Or, an endoscopy? I recently had those done & was DX with reflux due to hiatel hernia.. My symptom was a cough. I'm also on omeprazole now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2014, 03:00 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
449 posts, read 703,452 times
Reputation: 557
Wow. That's quite enlightening and scary too. I can sympathize with your pain, Sheena. I guess it's possible that I could be starting this too, but for me, sinus problems were never present until I started this new job at the beginning of October. I have had acid reflux symptoms now and then in the past, but nothing recently.

I started a job working as a first grade teacher assistant at an elementary school on October 1st. I had not been used to being around children. From the start, someone was always sick in class. Then there are environmental issues too. I've been working in a modular building. The school is operating in modular buildings while the old school is rebuilt after, ironically, mold issues. So, I have to escort the kids from building to building, in rain or shine. Then a responsibility of mine is carpool duty twice a day, morning and afternoon. I have to stand outside 30 min. each time in all weather conditions. For us here in NC there's been rain and colder weather too. Additionally, I have had cafeteria duty, having to serve the kids and to get them ready to leave, involving having to clean up and sweep too when they don't clean up everything. All this in sometimes an overheated room, running back outside once again.

Along with the school stress, a neighbor in my building committed suicide here in my building the beginning of October too. The police left all the lights on, and the shades open, and with this and the woman's car out front, everything remained in this state for five weeks till finally they cleaned everything out. It was disturbing.

So, I'm not sure if environmental and situational issues led me to get sick, bringing my resistance down, etc. but I started with coughing, sneezing, postnasal drip, etc. that went on and on. Then the reaction to the penicillin and now for two weeks the canker sores. I have two on the roof of my mouth that are extremely painful. I'm trying to rinse with salt water and even poke at the canker sores to get them to open (I know, not a good thing, but I can't stand it). I have five days off so I'm going to try to relax a bit and hope things will be better before I consider going to an ENT. I wake up with phlegm coming up but it is not as bad as it was before. Oh, and of course the heat is on too, so that's not good to dry out the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 PM
 
2,835 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Reputation: 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Wow. That's quite enlightening and scary too. I can sympathize with your pain, Sheena. I guess it's possible that I could be starting this too, but for me, sinus problems were never present until I started this new job at the beginning of October. I have had acid reflux symptoms now and then in the past, but nothing recently.

I started a job working as a first grade teacher assistant at an elementary school on October 1st. I had not been used to being around children. From the start, someone was always sick in class. Then there are environmental issues too. I've been working in a modular building. The school is operating in modular buildings while the old school is rebuilt after, ironically, mold issues. So, I have to escort the kids from building to building, in rain or shine. Then a responsibility of mine is carpool duty twice a day, morning and afternoon. I have to stand outside 30 min. each time in all weather conditions. For us here in NC there's been rain and colder weather too. Additionally, I have had cafeteria duty, having to serve the kids and to get them ready to leave, involving having to clean up and sweep too when they don't clean up everything. All this in sometimes an overheated room, running back outside once again.

Along with the school stress, a neighbor in my building committed suicide here in my building the beginning of October too. The police left all the lights on, and the shades open, and with this and the woman's car out front, everything remained in this state for five weeks till finally they cleaned everything out. It was disturbing.

So, I'm not sure if environmental and situational issues led me to get sick, bringing my resistance down, etc. but I started with coughing, sneezing, postnasal drip, etc. that went on and on. Then the reaction to the penicillin and now for two weeks the canker sores. I have two on the roof of my mouth that are extremely painful. I'm trying to rinse with salt water and even poke at the canker sores to get them to open (I know, not a good thing, but I can't stand it). I have five days off so I'm going to try to relax a bit and hope things will be better before I consider going to an ENT. I wake up with phlegm coming up but it is not as bad as it was before. Oh, and of course the heat is on too, so that's not good to dry out the air.



Try rinsing with warm salt water & a bit of baking soda mixed in. Rinse before & after each meal. Also rinse as often as you can during the day.

Canker sores in the mouth are agony !

Also try using Pepto Bismal. Swish some around in your mouth (you don't have to swallow it.) It really helps canker sores heal.

Last edited by daliowa; 11-26-2014 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top