U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
 
9,562 posts, read 5,748,295 times
Reputation: 9612

Advertisements

I don't know if pain on one side of the body from a flu shot would be due to an allergy but it's not an unheard of side effect. There are other people who have reported the same thing. I think you are wise to avoid the flu vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2015, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,212 posts, read 28,002,496 times
Reputation: 28627
Just because a pain follows a flu shot does not mean the shot caused it.

Sore arm at the site of the shot? Yes. Generalized achiness? Yes. Pain all down one side of the body that lasted for weeks? Probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2015, 11:55 AM
 
9,562 posts, read 5,748,295 times
Reputation: 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Just because a pain follows a flu shot does not mean the shot caused it.

Sore arm at the site of the shot? Yes. Generalized achiness? Yes. Pain all down one side of the body that lasted for weeks? Probably not.
It could though. I wouldn't personally risk it. There have been other people complaining of the exact same symptoms post flu shot and they did last weeks. It may be related or unrelated. There's no way to know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2015, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,212 posts, read 28,002,496 times
Reputation: 28627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It could though. I wouldn't personally risk it. There have been other people complaining of the exact same symptoms post flu shot and they did last weeks. It may be related or unrelated. There's no way to know for sure.
Who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2015, 11:32 PM
 
Location: USA
76 posts, read 237,693 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
It absolutely can cause the flu. At least the older shot strains did. I always got the flu right after the shot, and I have not had the flu even ONCE since 2006 when I last got the shot.

you are ABSOLUTELY right.. it can give you the flu. in fact it does not "rev up" the immune system, it taxes it. not only that but many vaccines including the flue make you contagious as there is an affect known as "shedding" that effects those around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2015, 11:40 PM
 
Location: USA
76 posts, read 237,693 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I have a quite severe reaction to chemicals. that being perfumed products of every kind ,household paint, diesel , petrol in face everything petro chemcal based... and cant have a flu jab as it caused so much pain for weeks afterwards all down the one side of my body... has anyone else noticed this...
not sure if this is helpful but.... it is unlikely that a needle "jab" would cause that kind of pain. however, you mentioned that you are sensitive to chemicals. I am not sure what they are using for a preservative these days in the flu vaccine... mercury was the most common preservative used. check out the research by Dr Tenpenny. If you still want the flu shot (i wouldn't recommend it), there may be options that are less reactive to your system. keep in mine that i am "alternative"medicine, so am not usually pro vaccine anyway as they are very controversial and there is enough research to show they are doing more damage than good. my suggestion... do some research.... and yes, it is possible, but not from teh actual jab, its more likely from the chemicals within the injection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2015, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,212 posts, read 28,002,496 times
Reputation: 28627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrick View Post
you are ABSOLUTELY right.. it can give you the flu. in fact it does not "rev up" the immune system, it taxes it. not only that but many vaccines including the flue make you contagious as there is an affect known as "shedding" that effects those around you.
The flu vaccine cannot give you the flu. The virus in it is inactivated (the injection) or attenuated (the nasal spray. The inactivated virus cannot replicate at all. It is "dead". The attenuated virus can replicate in the upper airways but not at the higher temperatures of the lower respiratory tract. Therefore neither can cause influenza infection.

Any vaccine works by activating the same processes in the immune system that a natural infection does. However, the natural infection makes you sick, and it exposes you to far more antigens than the number present in a vaccine. That "taxes" the immune system for sure, and the inflammatory response generated by influenza damages tissues in the respiratory tree to such an extent that bacteria can invade them, "taxing" the immune system even further.

The virus in the injection, inactivated, cannot replicate and cannot be shed. The attenuated virus in the nasal spray has been shown to spread to others rarely, but it does not cause disease. That is because, just like in the person who originally received the vaccine, it cannot replicate in the lungs.

Repeating misinformation does not make it true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,795,194 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The flu vaccine cannot give you the flu. The virus in it is inactivated (the injection) or attenuated (the nasal spray. The inactivated virus cannot replicate at all. It is "dead". The attenuated virus can replicate in the upper airways but not at the higher temperatures of the lower respiratory tract. Therefore neither can cause influenza infection.

Any vaccine works by activating the same processes in the immune system that a natural infection does. However, the natural infection makes you sick, and it exposes you to far more antigens than the number present in a vaccine. That "taxes" the immune system for sure, and the inflammatory response generated by influenza damages tissues in the respiratory tree to such an extent that bacteria can invade them, "taxing" the immune system even further.

The virus in the injection, inactivated, cannot replicate and cannot be shed. The attenuated virus in the nasal spray has been shown to spread to others rarely, but it does not cause disease. That is because, just like in the person who originally received the vaccine, it cannot replicate in the lungs.

Repeating misinformation does not make it true.
What do you mean by the virus is "dead"? Are you saying that if someone has the flu that the virus they have is ALIVE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 36,189,609 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
What do you mean by the virus is "dead"? Are you saying that if someone has the flu that the virus they have is ALIVE?
Virii are not inanimate things. They are replicating non-cellular specks of DNA (in the most simplistic non-scientific terms). They're not considered "life" like cellular structures are, but the terms "live" and "dead" are used to describe their activity (or lack thereof).

Though Wikipedia isn't considered the best source of information, it nonetheless contains enough data and sources (4 items in the bibliography and over 200 references sources) to give you a pretty good layman's understanding of virii.

Virus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,795,194 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Virii are not inanimate things. They are replicating non-cellular specks of DNA (in the most simplistic non-scientific terms). They're not considered "life" like cellular structures are, but the terms "live" and "dead" are used to describe their activity (or lack thereof).

Though Wikipedia isn't considered the best source of information, it nonetheless contains enough data and sources (4 items in the bibliography and over 200 references sources) to give you a pretty good layman's understanding of virii.

Virus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't give any credit to wikipedia.

So then why does saying that we shouldn't fear viruses because they are "dead" have to do with anything? Isn't that really just the medical industry trying to make vaccines a bit more palletable to the consumer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top