Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,977 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I know there's lots of people here WAY more experienced about sinus infections than me, so I want to ask you guys something. So I have a sinus infection which was been going on for a week. I don't have allergies or anything. So I have been researching the internet and I see a bunch of people saying different things. Some people say don't use antibiotics and some people swear by it. Some people have cured their sinuses by home treatment and some never got results.

One doctor on the internet told me to put Baby Shampoo in my saltwater rinse solution and she told me that her client said it was superior to the regular saltwater rinse. Since this is the first time ever getting a sinus infection and since I was so lost, I decided to do it. Why not? She had an official page and she was a certified doctor, aren't doctors always right? No, after I did it I got a very weird headache on the back of my head. Then, I looked at the comment section and there's people saying that doing that can cause permanent loss of smell and was based of one study, not approved by the FDA. OK.

After the Baby Shampoo incident, trusting anything on the internet is hard to do right now. Someone suggests taking 4000 ius of vitamin D and 3000 mg of vitamin C but another person shows a study on how that is dangerous. There's so many treatments recommended and then disproved by someone. I've done many home treatments, decongested, but still very sick. Going to the doctor tomorrow, which I don't also have a lot of trust in either as they try to relieve the symptoms but never the root cause. So you guys are my real hope. Any tips for dealing with this for experienced people? For a normal dude like me going through a sinus infection. You can tell me all about your mistakes, your success, anything.

Last edited by Jeremy Lin; 04-12-2015 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 02:00 AM

44,569 posts, read 61,354,897 times
The Johnson baby shampoo works, I've been using it for 6 years. Done correctly you should have no problems. Using a 8oz Nettie bottle add 6 drops of shampoo with tepid water, that should produce good results for cleaning and clearing the sinus passages. I can still smell everything normally.
If you have a serious infection have the doctor prescribe Prednisone to wipe out the infection. Using a dos-pack as per instructions works well.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:30 AM

132 posts, read 140,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lin View Post
Hey guys, I know there's lots of people here WAY more experienced about sinus infections than me, so I want to ask you guys something. So I have a sinus infection which was been going on for a week. I don't have allergies or anything. So I have been researching the internet and I see a bunch of people saying different things. Some people say don't use antibiotics and some people swear by it. Some people have cured their sinuses by home treatment and some never got results.

One doctor on the internet told me to put Baby Shampoo in my saltwater rinse solution and she told me that her client said it was superior to the regular saltwater rinse. Since this is the first time ever getting a sinus infection and since I was so lost, I decided to do it. Why not? She had an official page and she was a certified doctor, aren't doctors always right? No, after I did it I got a very weird headache on the back of my head. Then, I looked at the comment section and there's people saying that doing that can cause permanent loss of smell and was based of one study, not approved by the FDA. OK.

After the Baby Shampoo incident, trusting anything on the internet is hard to do right now. Someone suggests taking 4000 ius of vitamin D and 3000 mg of vitamin C but another person shows a study on how that is dangerous. There's so many treatments recommended and then disproved by someone. I've done many home treatments, decongested, but still very sick. Going to the doctor tomorrow, which I don't also have a lot of trust in either as they try to relieve the symptoms but never the root cause. So you guys are my real hope. Any tips for dealing with this for experienced people? For a normal dude like me going through a sinus infection. You can tell me all about your mistakes, your success, anything.
If you already have a true nasal infection with the smelly nasty mucus, get the antibiotics and don't over think it. Antibiotics work, use em!

On the other hand, if you aren't really at an infection stage(the smelly mucus), OTC meds to dry up your sinus is a good start.

An old doctor once told me to snort warm water while taking a shower on sort of a regular basis, especially when exposed to a lot of dust or pollen. Sounds a bit silly but it does seem to help avoid and prevent nasal discomfort.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:37 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,749,717 times
One doctor on the internet told me !!!

You mean that everything on the internet is not true !!!

Go see a doctor, a real in person doctor !!!

Old 04-13-2015, 06:40 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,171,175 times
The smell and color of your mucus is irrelevant.
Old wives tale.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:24 PM

128 posts, read 240,940 times
The neil med sinus rinse kit is good that you can pickup at Walgreens, Walmart ect. Do you use distilled or filtered water like they suggest. My general rule is if the sinus infection is not getting better around day 7-10 I would try an antibiotic, especially if you don't get many sinus infections. I used a zpack last winter, and it did clear things up fast. The only bad thing about the zpack is day one when you take two pills it can wipe out the bacteria in your gut. If you go that route, you might want to pickup some pepto and either a probiotic like culterelle or an 8 pack of yogart. Usually by day 2 those symptoms go away.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:45 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,743,839 times
Here's what I do and I haven't had to get antibiotics in years.

1. If you're totally packed, either hold your head over a pan of steamy, not boiling water, and let your face get good and hot or lay some warm compresses over your face.
2. If you're brave, eat a teaspoon of horseradish--as pure as you can get it.
3. Now that your sinuses have been blazed clean, do the typical neti pot with 1/4 teaspoon salt and add a drop of oil of oregano. Do not do any more than this b/c it's as bad as the horseradish if not worse. Use the best OoO you can--mine cost me $20 for a small bottle. It's worth it.
4. Do the neti and blow very gently about halfway thru and then when finished. Very very gently as you don't want to blow snot into your ear canal and get that infected too. OoO is a natural antibiotic and it goes straight to where it's needed. You may need to repeat but just repeat once with OoO as you don't want to over-do. This gives instant and permanent (until next time) relief, but next times are getting further and further apart for me.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:56 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,304,163 times
If it is a mild sinus infection, take a benadryl or two at night and a nondrowsy sudafed in the morning.

I would get sinus infections where my nasal passages were not very stuffed, but I was having shooting pains in my teeth and the rest of my head. They were just minor sinus infections and no big deal. The sudafed/benadryl combo cleared them right up.

If you are having serious trouble breathing normally or congestion or are running a significant fever, DEFINITELY see a doctor. Sinus infections can get out of control very quickly.

Often you will not need antibiotics for it, but you should let the doctor determine that.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:25 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,334,229 times
If I have a headache and/or ears stopped up, the usual allergy/sinus meds don't really help. I use mucinex and it helps drain out the congestion in my head.

My doctor always asks if the mucus is clear, yellow or green. The green mucous means it is infected.

But if you are not clearing it us with OTC solutions, best to go to the doctor for some antibiotics.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,682,771 times
Your first mistake was trusting in something ridiculous-sounding that you read by someone claiming to be a doctor on the internet. Whether it works or not is irrelevant. You put your faith in an anonymous source on the internet. So going forward, don't do that.

Next - get an actual diagnoses by your real-life doctor. Work with that doctor on a plan to get you healthy again.

That's my tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies