Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Prefilled syringes come from a person drawing them out of a bottle. Doctors I have seen leave the bottle out of a refrigerator, the package the bottle comes in says to store it between 59 degrees and 77 degrees, so how is that in a refrigerator.
================================================== ==============================
Long-term stability of epinephrine dispensed in unsealed syringes for the first-aid treatment of anaphylaxis.

Long-term stability of epinephrine dispensed in unsealed syringes for the first-aid treatment of anaphylaxis. - PubMed - NCBI
CONCLUSION:In hot climates, if an unsealed syringe prefilled with an epinephrine dose is provided for the first-aid treatment of anaphylaxis, it should be replaced every few months on a regular basis with a new syringe containing a fresh dose of epinephrine

So if doses in a syringe can last in hot climates for a few months, how can the contents of a bottle kept in the original box be any worse. In reality and from my personal experience, it is best to keep the medicine in the original bottle to last longer and as I already posted, it is not supposed to be kept in a refrigerator unless the refrigerator is set between 59 and 77 degrees.

Anyway, all I can tell you and others is what a number of doctors told me, what works for me and what is on the package the bottle comes in. So far I have had three bottles and all have the same printed on their label and the only one that ever got weak on me was when I left some in a syringe, never when left in the bottle, no matter what temperature I left it in including in our condo in the Philippines without the a/c on when temps reached in the mid 80's and when my wife has carried it around in her shoulder bag when out and about in Florida and in the Philippines, both of which gets pretty darn hot and also while in other countries. And on top of all that, even when in an epipen, it is not supposed to be carried in temps above or below what I posted but people do it all the time and it seems they still work, in fact years ago before I had the syringes and bottle, I had to use an epipen that was years old and carried in all temps, because that was all I had, but I did need two doses yet it still worked.
I was responding to this link of yours where it says store at 36-46°F. If the product you use has different instructions then certainly follow those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:21 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I was responding to this link of yours where it says store at 36-46°F. If the product you use has different instructions then certainly follow those.
Okay I see it, I used that as an example only and I have no idea why that page says that, the box says otherwise.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:34 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,020 times
Here is a photo of the actual box which shows between 59 and 77 degrees.

Epinephrine injectors - "EPI PENS" - COST IS RIDICULOUS-scan0001.jpg

Old 03-14-2016, 09:29 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
A friend of mine (in her 50's) needs to have this on hand for her and her son due to bee allergies. She told me that because she has a high insurance deductible - a TWO pack - which is how they are sold - costs her over $300.00 out of pocket.
These won't become generic until September - what do people do who don't have that kind of money??
Any suggestions appreciated.
I'm glad you have gotten such great help from others here. I don't mean to sound insensitive, as I have severe allergies as well. Sometimes one has to ask what is the cost of not having a life-saving medication.

MSR

Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 PM

17 posts, read 16,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
A friend of mine (in her 50's) needs to have this on hand for her and her son due to bee allergies. She told me that because she has a high insurance deductible - a TWO pack - which is how they are sold - costs her over $300.00 out of pocket.
These won't become generic until September - what do people do who don't have that kind of money??
Any suggestions appreciated.
I have a relationship with Mylan and although the cost is high life it self is priceless. Google Heather Breshc and see all the good she has done for the world.

She cares about FA people more that you can imagine.

They are expensive...but worth it. With coupons that you can get when you order a packet to carry the EpiPens in, come coupons to help the consumer out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies