Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 06:09 AM

635 posts, read 749,686 times

Advertisements

I ended up going to the doctor yesterday because I felt my face was ballooning with all the pressure. Low and behold, I have my millionth sinus infection. The doctor did give me a steroid shot instead of prednisone (I'm very familiar with that Rx with all my infections) and a round of antibiotics.

It's so frustrating to live somewhere where allergies are a constant battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 06:22 AM

11,410 posts, read 7,737,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I ended up going to the doctor yesterday because I felt my face was ballooning with all the pressure. Low and behold, I have my millionth sinus infection. The doctor did give me a steroid shot instead of prednisone (I'm very familiar with that Rx with all my infections) and a round of antibiotics.

It's so frustrating to live somewhere where allergies are a constant battle.

I'm right there with you. I take a prescription allergy pill since all the OTC quit working. This spring is so bad, I added Flonase which is working pretty well. I sometimes even have airflow through both nostrils AT THE SAME TIME. Unheard of for me in spring. Flonase takes about a week before it really starts working, but it is definitely helping me.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,590,367 times
It's so great to NOT take drugs and I avoid steroids big time. Too bad people won't look at my info. I have not used a drug in going on 21 yrs for allergies/sinus issues....did my "time" with allergist and a waste looking back.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:46 PM

Bottom line, many would rather take drugs than go with "woo"...it's not woo it's healing. Drugs don't heal. I've been that route for many years before grape seed ex aka OPC. More toxic drugs for the body????!!!!

Old 03-25-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's so great to NOT take drugs and I avoid steroids big time. Too bad people won't look at my info. I have not used a drug in going on 21 yrs for allergies/sinus issues....did my "time" with allergist and a waste looking back.
When you have an infection, what you are suggesting will not work.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:19 PM

You clean up the body, get rid of free radicals and infection won't happen. Getting the immune system strong. That is what OPC's..do.

Oil of Oregano works on getting rid of infections too. I work with this oil for a dental issue that I don't want a dentist to work on for mega $$$ and dental trauma.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:46 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,002,018 times
NAET had minimal effect on me.

When I need immediate symptom relief I take the generic version of Chlor-Trimeton - clorpheniramine maleate. It's not the newest or sexiest antihistamine but it works for me. I take two tablets at a time.

I also use a neti pot to wash out my sinuses so the environment there is less friendly to bacteria/viruses.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:26 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,590,339 times
It sounds like you are on too many medications. I am also allergic to pets/dust and not pollen and my allergist's first response was to reduce the pills. I now take Flonase, butterbur, and a zyrtec. I do have sinus pressure issues but hate sudafed, so I try to avoid that if at all possible. I also use sinus rinse 2x a day. Drinking a lot of water should also help to thin out the mucus. If I am feeling like the pressure is bad, I try to drink something like ginger lemon tea or another tea that might help with the pressure. Again, it should also help loosen up the mucus since it provides more liquid. It might also be beneficial to take two showers a day to breathe in the steam and wash any pollen off.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It sounds like you are on too many medications. I am also allergic to pets/dust and not pollen and my allergist's first response was to reduce the pills. I now take Flonase, butterbur, and a zyrtec. I do have sinus pressure issues but hate sudafed, so I try to avoid that if at all possible. I also use sinus rinse 2x a day. Drinking a lot of water should also help to thin out the mucus. If I am feeling like the pressure is bad, I try to drink something like ginger lemon tea or another tea that might help with the pressure. Again, it should also help loosen up the mucus since it provides more liquid. It might also be beneficial to take two showers a day to breathe in the steam and wash any pollen off.
I was thinking I'm on too many meds. I was going to add magnesium, butterbur, feverfew, and COQ10. Also get some local honey and peppermint oil.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 28,474,267 times
butterbur. A friend of mine who has bad allergies swears by that. It fixed her allergies. (Did nothing for mine though.)

My allergy cure was finally to get sinus surgery. Apparently my sinuses had been blocked and infected so many times that there was scar tissue. I practically had a constant infection and was always on antibiotics.

Right up to the day of the surgery, my ENT had me using the neti pot rinse around five times a day! I hated it but that's what he said to do. Ordinarily I only did it once or twice a day but this had gotten really out of control.

After the sinus surgery, I would only get a sinus infection once, in the fall when the leaves dropped off the trees and turned moldy. I'd go on antibiotics after trying Allegra and sudafed and the neti pot.

Another thing that helps-- is a sinus gel. I hope they still make it. Not a liquid spray--those didn't help at all, but a clear gel that you spray into your nose. It's sticky and coats the inside of your nose and the pollens stick to it! It traps the pollens. I think it's over the counter but I don't remember who makes it. It's a GEL, not a spray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies